Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-16-2015, 08:58 PM   #1

Keep AC running between weekend trips?

We will be taking a lot of every other weekend trips, with my 28BHBE being stored between trips pluged into its dedicated 30amp service in the backyard. I am thinking I will want to leave the AC running full time on a mild say 75 to 80 degree setting to keep the highest temps and humidity down inside the unit during these week to two week non use periods. I'm will also leave the fridge running too.

Any reason I would not want to do this?

I am thinking the more constant temp would be better on it than the extreme ups and downs over and over, and the extreme high temps it gets to be during the summer here.

Thanks for any thoughts and comments!
Old 07-16-2015, 09:06 PM   #2

Being from Az I can tell you most RV's in storage never have electric let alone Air Conditioning running and I dare say it's a tad warmer here than Arkansas...albeit we don't have the humidity you do. When we travel (months at a time) we keep our brick and mortar home at about 88... never an issue..

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:04 AM   #3

I keep my a/c set at 90 degrees when it is stored on my driveway. Without it, the temps inside reach well over 110 during the sunny summer days. This also helps keep the humidity levels down. I don't know if the high temps would hurt anything, but at least it's a little bit more comfortable going into the rv if we need something that is in it. Also, when it's time to load it for a trip, it's not so unbearably hot.

I have done it both ways over the last 35 plus years, but prefer to have the a/c on.

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:29 AM   #4

We have ours set up at the lake for the summer. We leave the ac on about 80 during the week, then we crank it down Friday when we get there.

I would rather leave it off, just one less thing running or could break when I'm not around.

If it were sitting for two weeks at a time in storage or at the house, I would leave the a/c off and not worry about the up and down change in temp. I think the I clean the a/c filter about every 2 weeks.
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:43 AM   #5

Most mechanical things have a life span.. why use them when you don't need to and use up those lifetime hours. And why consume energy when it's not needed...JMHO

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Most mechanical things have a life span.. why use them when you don't need to and use up those lifetime hours. And why consume energy when it's not needed...JMHO
Exactly! You would be better served to put some MaxAir covers over your roof vents and keep the vents open. I have the smoke colored ones, to keep the brightness from intruding in the early morning.

I live in Illinois and we have 90-100 degree summer temps and high humidity all year round, too. I leave my roof vents half-way open all year round when the trailer is stored. Never had any problems with the heat and humidity harming anything.

Save the wear and tear on your A/C unit and keep your energy bill lower by leaving the A/C off when you aren't camping. Your wallet will thank you and the A/C unit will last longer!

Just my experienced opinion. (Done it this way on three trailers, now.)

BTW - I do put a cover over the A/C roof unit in the fall. It keeps the snow and ice from accumulating inside the cowl.

Mike

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:24 AM   #7

OK, thanks for everyone's thoughts. I will quit worrying as much about how hot it gets inside when not in use and will not leave it on as much as I had thought I might. Thanks
Old 07-17-2015, 08:28 AM   #8

I've never read anything that suggests it's better to keep all this stuff running. In fact it's built to be used by weekenders.

We had our previous hybrid for 10 years. We never ran the AC between trips. Never had any interior damage, never had any issues with the AC.

There isn't much that would convince me that there is a need to run constantly run things between trips.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:14 PM   #9

I keep mine plugged in to keep battery charged and fridge cold but I just keep the blinds closed and max air vent open in the bunk room and it helps keep air moving in thru the trailer.I also keep 2 moisture absorbing buckets to help with any moisture in the trailer.

2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 314BHDS

IBEW local 94 Electrical Worker
314BHDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:08 PM   #10

I live in a four season area so I may be out of my element on this one but I'd have to say that leaving appliances running in an unused RV is likely not a necessity. RV's, like any other vehicle, have been designed (at least I hope....) with extreme temperature variances in mind. If the concern is with potential heat damage to the unit while it is not being used and you can easily access the unit when you wish, perhaps it may be better to simply visit it periodically and open some widows and doors for a few minutes a day to allow the unit to cool off. As for the fridge, I personally like to turn it off, clean it out thoroughly and leave the doors (fridge/freezer) open when not in use/not moving.

If the issue is simply with comfort, do whatever is best for your particular preference but if it's a concern for the trailer itself, I'd say (but check with your dealer on this...) that you likely need not be concerned.
BNear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 04:23 AM   #11

Ask yourself this question. Are the units on the RV dealer lots kept cool?
Roadwarrior56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:51 AM   #12
Site Team

In the humid south, we keep a De-humidifier running when it's parked in our back yard which is anytime we are not camping. We set our home ac on 81 when we are gone to keep humidity down inside and it quickly recovers when we return.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote