Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2015, 10:27 PM   #1

Kidney Stones

What a crazy first camp out in our new Jayco 28.5 RSTS. We get to camp and get set up then out of no where, a kidney stone gets stuck in the ureter. Words cannot describe the pain, to make it worse, we are several hours from home, but close to a small town, that just happens to have an urgent care. Anyway, what I am looking for is, do any of you have a personal treatment that you follow that keeps you from getting kidney stones? I know pain management is priority one once a stone hits critical and the doctors have that under control, but I would like to start today on a personal treatment so that I never get another. Thanks
traversingyahoocom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:22 PM   #2

My father and brother both get them. They stay away from excess amounts of calcium.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:08 AM   #3
Site Team

I have had them years ago. I started a regimen of drinking lots of water daily.

It seems to help. Also we drink cranberry juice. It is said to help don't know but I does not hurt.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:36 AM   #4

I have them frequently. There are 4 types of stone. Mine are caused by uric acid. Have backed off of drinking tea which I love. Take 100 mg alluniprol daily but still had 2 stones since then. Good luck feel your pain.
BigdaddyandNannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:43 AM   #5

My dad had them a bunch when I was a kid...he drank 4/5 sodas a day and got stones frequently. He replaced the sodas with water and hasn't had a stone since! Needless to say, I rarely drink soda!

Dan
Old 08-02-2015, 07:53 AM   #6

We see more stones in the summer months due to dehydration. So really about the best thing you can do is stay hydrated. For the vast majority, calcium intake has little bearing on stone formation. If you are a chronic large stone former then sometimes metabolic testing may be of benefit. The mainstays of treatment are hydration and pain control. We frequently prescribe narcotics and non-steroidal anti-inflammatories for those that can safely be given the above meds. NSAIDS have been shown in several studies to offer more relief than narcotics and I find this to be true in practice as well. Fever >100.5, inability to urinate (most feel like they can't go but truly can), or uncontrollable pain are reasons to prompt another visit to the ER/with your physician.

Please remember that I would never give medical advice over the internet. But best of luck!
Old 08-02-2015, 08:22 AM   #7

x2 what AugerN said. We also see more in the summer, probably due to hydration. Drink lots of H2O and...
Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:38 AM   #8

My dad and wife has had them they both were told to drink a lot of cranberry juice by different doctors good luck hope it passes !!they both used strainers to catch the tiny tiny stone I guess to have it tested to see what type they were dealing .with it's been awhile
Fuldraw2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:06 AM   #9
Site Team

I still break out in sweats thinking about it!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote