Well I got my plumbing winterized and am almost ready to put the rig to bed for a nice winter's nap... But there is one project I really wanted to get done first. At some point the basement compartment immediately behind the driver's side rear tires sustained severe damage. The sheetmetal was severely bent & buckled - beyond the point of repair. Fortunately, the water pump & plumbing inside was not damaged. However, because of the damage, there was a large hole where the side wall & the floor of the compartment no longer connected, allowing water spray, road dirt and possibly rodents to enter.
After some deliberation, I had a neighbor (who works in automotive metal fabrication) bend up replacement walls & floor out of galvanized. And I spent the afternoon today cutting out the bad areas. I forgot to take "before" photos, but below you'll see some "after" pics. Ran out of temperature today to complete the installation of the new pieces (40 & windy with no sun lying on the ground eventually gets to you), but if next weekend is in the 50's as forecasted I should be home free!
Looks like a great job fabbing the new shroud. My guess is the original damage was sustained by a blow out.
Yeah - I could never have tackled this myself without someone to help with the metal bending. So far I'm into the project about $26. ($4- metal, $20 bending, $2 steel rivets)
I agree - a blowout was probably the culprit.
Now, fingers crossed that all the dimensions are correct for the new install...
Smart thing to do. I hope the parts fit correctly.
No I am NOT retired. I work full time.:D
Tracy from Central PA
2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights