Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2015, 07:36 AM   #1

Leak after front cap repaint

We woke up to find water dripping from a light fixture in the front closet. On the roof I see many deep cracks in the caulking at the roof/cap joint. Covered with plastic till the rain was over. Cleaned and applied Dicor.
We picked up the 5th after the front cap repaint (oxidized really bad) in late March. That caulking was the only area showing any problems. I'm wondering if heat lamps were used to speed up the drying or something else caused the caulk to crack so badly.
Am planning an Eternabond project later this summer (allow the paint to fully cure).

If you've had the front cap repaint check your caulking.

This is the same trip with 2 blow outs and a third tire with the tread starting to separate.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:27 PM   #2

I just got my TT back after a month in the shop getting my front cap painted. I am now a little concerned that I may have the same problem with the caulking. I am actually planning to clean/inspect my roof this weekend, so hopefully I will catch the problem early IF I HAVE A PROBLEM.

Thanks for the heads-up

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:15 PM   #3

Congrats on getting it back. let me know if you see the same cracking, curious if it is just me.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 05-05-2015, 10:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Congrats on getting it back. let me know if you see the same cracking, curious if it is just me.
RedHourse1 - I had a chance to wash/condition my roof yesterday. It was a very pleasant day in Minnesota!!!

I had my wife inside doing her cleaning, so I asked her to check the bedroom ceiling occasionally and let me know if she sees wet spots or dripping while I washed the roof.

To my delight, we were not able to see wet spots or dripping. I am going to check again when I get home tonight to make sure. Our Master bed is in the front, so I am hoping that the bed and the ceiling is dry.

Before cleaning and conditioning the roof, I inspected the caulking. My biggest concern was the front cap section, but I checked all caulking.

To my delight as well, all things looked to be good. I will be checking it again later this year as I have done every year on my last TT. I have owned this one for 1 year, so I will continue that preventative maintenance.

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:22 AM   #5

Glad to hear you don't have the problem. After I spotted the leak and got on the roof it was very apparent to see the cracked caulk. It was just odd that it was only the cap joint that had the problem. Still can't say for sure what caused it but sure glad that I spotted it before the 5th sat in storage for a month or so.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 05-05-2015, 01:02 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
We woke up to find water dripping from a light fixture in the front closet. On the roof I see many deep cracks in the caulking at the roof/cap joint. Covered with plastic till the rain was over. Cleaned and applied Dicor.

This is the same trip with 2 blow outs and a third tire with the tread starting to separate.
We were one of the first JAYCO EAGLE owners to have their cap repainted, and I opted to have it repainted white and not the dark brown. Much cooler on the inside of the TT now... (the outside cap temp was over 200 degrees in the sun, now 119 degrees in the sun).

I went up and checked the roof out before taking it in for them to remove the gel-coat and paint it and I noticed that there were cracks already forming between the cap and the roof. I believe that it may be caused by the bonding of 2 different materials. The cap being a rigid fiberglass section and the rubber roof which is more flexible. When I returned from them finishing the cap, I went up on the roof and noticed that they used a clear caulk along the forward edge of the dicor. I removed the clear caulking and redid the entire roof line with dicor over the front edge of the existing dicor. So far now issues.

Question regarding your tire issue... did you ever take your TT & TV to a truck scale to see where you are with the weight? Just wondering.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:16 PM   #7

Hey Mustang!
Hadn't thought about the rigid/flexible angle, you could be onto something there.
About the weights, yes I have hit the scales and we tip them at 12700# so I think we were within the limits of the old tires.
The tech that changed our first blowout commented that the tire next to it didn't look too good.
What he saw was the tread center was bulging when compared to the edges. Looking across the tread it had a "domed" look to it. They appeared round enough (no obvious bubbles.
As we left the scene of the first disaster I was mentally shopping for tires and planning to start shopping the next week.
Didn't make it that far.
We drove to Orlando this past fall and the thought of travelling the 2000 mi on those tires leaves me a bit unsettled.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B