Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2014, 10:10 AM   #1

Leaving AC on during heat wave

We are hitting 90's and soon to be 100's here in PDX. We are parked at home for the next few days. It can get pretty hot and smelly in the trailer with these temps so I decided to turn on the AC to 85 to prevent any damage to the wood and components inside.

Any thoughts on this? Naturally I'm using a bit more electricity at home but am I helping the trailer at all?
Snaporaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:35 AM   #2

That's what I do. Try to limit the inside temperature to less than 90 degrees. A/C doesn't run all the time to accomplish this. However, mine is stored under a carport which does help a lot.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaporaz View Post
We are hitting 90's and soon to be 100's here in PDX. We are parked at home for the next few days. It can get pretty hot and smelly in the trailer with these temps so I decided to turn on the AC to 85 to prevent any damage to the wood and components inside.

Any thoughts on this? Naturally I'm using a bit more electricity at home but am I helping the trailer at all?
Make sure that you have enough electric service to the RV. If you don't have a dedicated line that carries enough power, you can do major damage to the life span of your AC.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:18 PM   #4

That is what I do also. Park it under a carport and leave the AC set high. It will only come on when it get very hot. I also turn it down a couple days before I leave on a trip. Cools the interior thus once I reach my destination the AC don't have to work so hard to cool the unit.

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:05 AM   #5

I have done this for several years. I think it helps prevent deterioration of interior of the unit. I set the thermostat at 85. My fifth wheel sits outside, so interior temps can reach way over 100 during hot, summer months.

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote