Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-22-2011, 08:51 AM   #11
Originally Posted by Parcany View Post
Lady Fitz, makes sence on what you are saying. I think I paid $16.00 each or close to that price. To me that is not cheap. Thanx Ernie
$16 each is about mid-range. I've seen them run from $6 to $35 each. Sadly, the technology is still in it's infancy so there will be a lot of bad mixed in with the good and reasonably priced mixed in with the total rip offs.

Take CFLs, for example. Even as long as CFLs have been around, there are still a lot of them out there that are pure garbage. Even some of the past leaders in past lighting technology are putting out garbage CFLs. Some just don't last long, some take forever to fire and get fully bright, some have a bad hum, some crank out RFI, or any combination of these factors. Again, price isn't always the best indicator of quality. The best generic 60w and 75w lamps I have found for the money are the Eco Bulbs. I do have one fixture in my hallway at home that requires an extra small 60w CFL to fit in it. The only one I've found that fits is made by GE. It costs considerably more than an Eco Bulb (some of that cost comes from the tighter manufacturing tolerances that allows them to shrink the lamp and base) and yet it takes a tad longer to fire and doesn't last as long. Fortunately, I don't burn the hall lights all that much. Still, I'm considering replacing the fixture.

It's going to be a while before LEDs completely replace incandescents. It's only recently that they have started becoming cost effective. So far, the market has been concentrating on making replacements for existing fixtures. Once the market matures enough, I'm thinking that the fixtures themselves will contain the electronics package, where quality intead of miniaturization can be concentrated on, and the enclosure can take advantage of the directional characteristics of the LEDs themselves instead of having to work around it. By then, the LEDs themselves should be lasting long enough to allow installing them permanently instead of needing to make them replaceable.

Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:28 AM   #12
I tried several LED brands early on and found that the ones that have built-in regulators called BUCK BOOST which allows the LEDs to operate over a range of different input DC voltages give off RFI. In my case it blanked out my HDTV when operating off the OTA antenna, Blanked out my NOAH WX Radio operations, reduced my VHF/UHF Ham radio operations etc. Many discussions on this on the RV.NET

I ordered the cheap $4.99 LEDs from ebay (china Brand) which do not have the BUCK BOOST regulator on the boards and all is fine with those. This was several years ago and i dont know if anything new is out now that gets around the RFI problems or not. Back then it didnt matter who the manufacturer was - If they used the BUCK BOOST regulator method then they had RFI. My operations was in my POPUP trailer which probably got more RFI problems than a hard walled trailer???

Roy and Carolyn
I claim Horse Creek Country in Southern Ill - Momabear is from North Texas
We live in King George VA

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote