Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-17-2016, 09:52 AM   #1

Leveling with Anderson

So this is an embarrassing question. I'm new to canping with a trailer and ours will be here in March.

So in preparation I have been reading about leveling. I decided to go with the Anderson leveling ramps. However everything I read only talks about using them on one side of the trailer. So how many sets would I need four or two? I would think you would need the ramps on both sides of the trailer. I was also thinking about getting the plastic pads for the stabilizer jacks.

Also I will be parking mainly on concrete or ashpalt pads, will I always need to use the ramps or will it just depend on grade?
borninblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninblue View Post
So this is an embarrassing question. I'm new to canping with a trailer and ours will be here in March.

So in preparation I have been reading about leveling. I decided to go with the Anderson leveling ramps. However everything I read only talks about using them on one side of the trailer. So how many sets would I need four or two? I would think you would need the ramps on both sides of the trailer. I was also thinking about getting the plastic pads for the stabilizer jacks.

Also I will be parking mainly on concrete or ashpalt pads, will I always need to use the ramps or will it just depend on grade?
Leveling from side-to-side, you only need to raise the lower side of the trailer. So you should only need a maximum of two Anderson ramps (assuming your trailer has two tires on each side) and may only need to use one of them if you need to raise the side a small amount.

If you are usually on concrete or asphalt, your trailer may be level enough without any ramps or pads under the tires. As I recall, on our most recent trip we needed leveling from side-to-side only when on parking on dirt, gravel, or grass sites.

Pads, wood or plastic, under the stabilizing jacks reduce how far the jacks need to be extended. That can help reduce the amount the trailer shakes as people, or dogs in our case, move around in it.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:21 AM   #3

Andersen Levelers

After seeing a friend level his travel trailer in a couple minutes with the Andersens I ordered a set to use with our Greyhawk 31SS Class C. After the first camping trip I sold those miserable stacking blocks and have never regretted it.
GeraldNKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:26 AM   #4
Lost in the Woods

If you are purchasing the Anderson leveling ramp, there is a kit that comes with 2 leveling ramps and wedges as well as a larger ramp for changing one of the tires on a tandem axle trailer. The kit also includes some rubber pads which prevent the ramps from moving on hard surfaces. Been using the Anderson levelers for 2 years and only issue was them sinking into soft sand which is solved by carrying a 5 ft long 2X8 in box of truck.

Under the jack stands we use 2X4's glued and nailed together which work better than the plastic ones you purchase.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
If you are purchasing the Anderson leveling ramp, there is a kit that comes with 2 leveling ramps and wedges as well as a larger ramp for changing one of the tires on a tandem axle trailer. The kit also includes some rubber pads which prevent the ramps from moving on hard surfaces. Been using the Anderson levelers for 2 years and only issue was them sinking into soft sand which is solved by carrying a 5 ft long 2X8 in box of truck.

Under the jack stands we use 2X4's glued and nailed together which work better than the plastic ones you purchase.
I was thinking of making some pads from 2x4's too. Curious as to how big you made yours?
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:53 AM   #6
Lost in the Woods

I made them so they fit inside a milk crate for transport in box of truck, slightly less than 12 inches if recall correctly. I think US and Canadian milk crate dimensions are different (Litres to Gallons) so you might want to get crate first. 12X12 Makes for good solid base if you need to stack them. I also stapled some rope to the sides to make them easier to carry without getting hands dirty.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:04 AM   #7

I have 2 anderson levelers, usually only have to use one of them.

I have to use 6x6's for my stabilizer jacks since my trailer sits so high it maxes out the jacks if I don't.
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:24 PM   #8

One should be fine in most situations, with two you should good for 99.9 % of the time. For example at my home, where I park has a fairly extreme compound slope. I have to have about 7 inches of blocks on one side, and about 2 inches under the rear tire of the other side. Only way I have been able to level it. In a CG I've never been quite that extreme, but I have gotten close, but they are in rural, boondocking sites. Not the sites you where describing.

As for blocks under the stabilizers, I use 6x6 pieces of plywood. Works great on softer surfaces.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:13 PM   #9

Andersen leveling ramps are the only way I've found.
newhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:31 PM   #10

I use two ramps on the low side. You may have to cut the ramps to fit between the two axles, I cut both mine several inches. With the levelers you will want a large front bubble similar to this so you can watch "level" from in the vehicle.
Jumbo Level with Mounting Bracket - Wheel Masters 6780 - Levels - Camping World
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:21 PM   #11

Leveling with Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post

Unless they've changed something, the kit comes with one rubber pad that is meant to be used under the jack; not the levellers. I don't know if the recommend using it under the levellers or not, but I'd think you'd need a second then.

http://www.andersenhitches.com/Produ...uffel-bag.aspx

Old 02-18-2016, 08:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldNKathy View Post
After seeing a friend level his travel trailer in a couple minutes with the Andersens I ordered a set to use with our Greyhawk 31SS Class C. After the first camping trip I sold those miserable stacking blocks and have never regretted it.
GeraldNKathy:
I have purchased my first truck camper so I am looking at how to level my truck with the TC in the bed. I have been using the Anderson levelers for a couple of years on my TT and they have worked out great. So now I would like to use them on my truck but I am concerned with how wide the levelers are. They are 6" wide and I measured my truck tire treads to be 8.5" wide. Seems to me like that would concentrate a lot of weight in the center of the tire and stress to part of the tire that overhangs the levelers. I'm sure your Class C tires are just a wide as my truck tires? Do you see anything to be concerned about when your class C is up on those levelers?
KYCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:43 AM   #13

We are fortunate in that the Andersen Levelers are virtually the same width as the tires on our Class C Jayco. I use the heavier version that is intended for a 'jack' on the rear duals and the regular levelers for the front. I had to buy two wedge chocks for the 'jack' levelers as they didn't come with them at the time I purchased. Can't really say they would damage your tires - however in the instructions they caution not to have them off to one side of a tire as it would stress the belts etc.
Hope this helps.
GeraldNKathy is offline   Reply With Quote