Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #1

Lights anyone?

Starting to think about lights to hang from the awning. I have been looking at globe lights, lantern lights rope lights etc. wondering what others have, can you even see them under the awning?
Phar0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:03 AM   #2

I have 2 sets of the Jumbo Lantern lights from Cabelas. They are equipped with the flicker-flame bulbs for a nice effect. I also recommend the highly sought after and collectable Lawnware light. I tried to attach a picture but came back with an error that the pic had already been attached to the thread titled Party Light, so if you want to see the picture you'll have to go to the other thread.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:08 AM   #3

The new led rope type lights are popular now. They come with a remote control and you can program them to change colors and other nifty things. I've seen them on the forest river forum and a few others. Not sure on the price though.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:30 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
I have 2 sets of the Jumbo Lantern lights from Cabelas. They are equipped with the flicker-flame bulbs for a nice effect. I also recommend the highly sought after and collectable Lawnware light. I tried to attach a picture but came back with an error that the pic had already been attached to the thread titled Party Light, so if you want to see the picture you'll have to go to the other thread.
Mcfarmall, you can still post a picture in that situation. Find the old thread the picture is in, right click on the image, choose " copy image url". Click the image icon in posting tool bar. Enter the image url, and it will show up on your new post. You can also copy and post images off the internet this way, provided they are not too large.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:29 AM   #5

Rope lights here... inexpensive and they throw off a nice bright light. We even have them on our patio at home and they work great.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:40 AM   #6
Site Team

I used to use an incandescent 30' rope light, but switched about four years ago to an LED string that looks like a string of minature sized Christmas tree lights. Last winter, I bought two strings of LED lights in the RiteAid powered by rechargable batteries with a solar charger. We'll see how well these work this summer.

We also use "Bill the Cat" (as we call him) on our picnic table. He's a single, green LED light that's also rechargable/solar.

We call him "Bill the Cat" because he (somewhat) reminds us of the comic strip character in Bloom County.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:48 AM   #7

Tried right clicking on the picture and the pop up menu did not contain "copy image url" just copy and copy shortcut
Old 03-12-2012, 06:49 AM   #8

Don't let me DW see that or she'll be wanting one.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #9

How difficult it is to put them up and down when you rolling in your electric awning because you are gone during the day or possible winds?

2012 Eagle SL 308 RETS
Lady Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #10

I have a string of solar multicolored led lights. I string them across and put the small solar panel on the top of the canopy...more decorative than anything...but looks nice...

2007 Jayco Jayflight 29BHS
with a built in 4000watt Propane Genset
2006 DODGE RAM QC 4X4
Mullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
I used to use an incandescent 30' rope light, but switched about four years ago to an LED string that looks like a string of minature sized Christmas tree lights. Last winter, I bought two strings of LED lights in the RiteAid powered by rechargable batteries with a solar charger. We'll see how well these work this summer.

We also use "Bill the Cat" (as we call him) on our picnic table. He's a single, green LED light that's also rechargable/solar.

We call him "Bill the Cat" because he (somewhat) reminds us of the comic strip character in Bloom County.
I have the exact same.cat! Hah!
Old 03-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #12

I have a set I found at Walmart.. they look like mini 1950s trailers.. pretty cute.

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #13

I saw a set at Walmart too a solar set of colored maple leaves. Was wondering if solar works well enough though?
Old 03-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #14

I have 3 sets. The solar led's once used are now primarily for my king pin for safety at night. They stay lit for 8 plus hours with a days sun charging. They are dim and not worth too much for additional lighting. The second set I picked up last year in a box store and are frosted round globes with about 40 on a string. Like the old movie lights. Those lights are great for really lighing up the area when in full service and you want to sit in a bright lit area for games or such. The down side is that they are glass so I rarley use them. My third set which I finally settled on are set of 25 multicolored globes on a simple christmas light string. They are removable so if the set burns out I only need to replace the string. I hang them from the fringe on heavy duty clips in case I need to retract the awning in a pinch.

I use ground solar lights when drycamping.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #15

Do a search on Amazon for "waterproof led strip lights" they come in 5M (16.4ft) reels. They have a very adhesive back and can be attached to your awning drum when it is extended. There will be a short pigtail that can hang out just outside of your fabric. That way you can jut unplug your lights and roll up your awning. I haven't done it yet but have read alot about people that have. I installed them on my old trailer on the frame rail under the trailer. They will be 12VDC and can be connected to any 12V source, but it may come with an AC adapter to knock it down to 12VDC allowing you to use an 110 outlet. I opted to just by the reel of led's and run a hardwire and switch from battery (fused circuit) to turn them off an on. Some strip LED's come with a little controller for the lights to change colors and speed. Very good light and there's nothing hanging to knock you in the head.

2006 GMC Ext Cab 2500HD 4X4/6.0/4.10
RTR!
gilldawg79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #16

It never ceases to amaze me what you can learn. Thanks for sharing all your great ideas
Old 03-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #17
Site Team

I have some cheesy liquor lights

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:42 PM   #18

Are those clothespins holding up the lights??? LoL
Old 03-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #19

I have a great idea. If we are talking cheesy lights, how about getting some cheese head lights from Wisconsin. I'm sure somebody makes them up there. Now that would definitely be "cheesy lights".

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilldawg79 View Post
Do a search on Amazon for "waterproof led strip lights" they come in 5M (16.4ft) reels. They have a very adhesive back and can be attached to your awning drum when it is extended. There will be a short pigtail that can hang out just outside of your fabric. That way you can jut unplug your lights and roll up your awning. I haven't done it yet but have read alot about people that have. I installed them on my old trailer on the frame rail under the trailer. They will be 12VDC and can be connected to any 12V source, but it may come with an AC adapter to knock it down to 12VDC allowing you to use an 110 outlet. I opted to just by the reel of led's and run a hardwire and switch from battery (fused circuit) to turn them off an on. Some strip LED's come with a little controller for the lights to change colors and speed. Very good light and there's nothing hanging to knock you in the head.

Wow, that looks sharp. I would love to do that to tie into my running lights for bad weather.