Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #1

Looking for your opinions on Christmas camping trip

Hi all!

We live in Southwest Ohio, 7/10 mile to Indiana line! I would like to take our TT to Charleston, SC and Tybee Island (Savannah) for 9 days over Christmas. I am concerned about taking it south (I-75) through the Jellico mountains and Asheville area and back home again New Years. We will have it winterized during the trips, but I'm just worried about snow and how it will do. And the underbelly is not enclosed so we have salt issues, as well.
Long story short, has anyone traveled in winter conditions for vacation or am I just crazy & should rent some condos? Lol!

Thanks for your help!

Kim
Old 09-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I've had some pretty bad weather along that stretch of I-75. Very unpredictable that time of year.
Fog can also be a very scary thing there along Jelico area at the TB/KY boarder.

Greenivy hauls trailer in the snow, but I am not sure it's fun. He's up in Canada.

They don't have the same expertise with snow removal along that stretch of I-75.

Could be a fun trip if the weather would cooperate.

Best of luck,
Doug

PS: I'll be renting a house in Cape Coral over Christmas and hoping my 4Runner 4x4 will get me there in Dec :-)

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #3

My parents go from central Canada to Texas in the winter every year. They leave with the trailer winterized, and then they "dewinterise" once they are in a warm enough climate. They stay in a hotel the first night, and by the second night even though its below zero they stay in the trailer. Windows fog a bit, and ledges need wiping in the morning. Usually by the third day it is warm enough to dewinterise.

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:53 AM   #4
Site Team

They roads between can be unpredictable due to the weather.

If you decide to come down, we guarantee great weather in Charleston. Get early reservations at James Island County Park. They place is really decorated for Christmas with a acclaimed light show all thru the season.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:30 AM   #5

Looking for your opinions on Christmas camping trip

States with infrequent snow generally don't use salt.

I would make sure to wash the underside well in return
Ecfeick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
They roads between can be unpredictable due to the weather.

If you decide to come down, we guarantee great weather in Charleston. Get early reservations at James Island County Park. They place is really decorated for Christmas with a acclaimed light show all thru the season.
I've booked our reservation at James Island months ago! I just hope I won't have to cancel it.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #7

We traveled though passes etc. in the winter in our Jayflight 29BHS, kept the heat on water on etc. never had a problem. Since you don't have an enclosed underbelly I would get Ultraheat pads from www.ultraheat.com it is what Jayco installs on their higher end units.
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #8

A fresh snowfall will cause you problems but as soon as the snow plows do their thing, you should be good to proceed [slowly]. Slick roads are dangerous when you are towing. Lane changes, exit ramps, stops etc can be unpredictable. We have camped in the winter in a TT without underbelly and had zero issues even in temps down to 0 degrees once over New years. Just winterized and used CG facilities for water and showers. I would watch the weather closely and time your drive to avoid predicted winter weather problems. Maybe leave a couple days early to get thru the questionable areas and then just veg at a Wally World or CG within a short drive of your destination. Winter trailering just requires a few extra precautions. Keep winterized until you get to the warmer area and rewinterize before heading home. I wouldn't worry about sleeping in the TT overnight while traveling. We do it every trip that requires a stop on the way. Usually check the GPS for a WW when we get withing 50 miles of where we feel like stopping. NEVER HAD AN ISSUE WITH WALMART.

We made the trip from Ky last January to Charleston SC and stopped overnight somewhere in NC [yup at a WW]. Stayed 4 days at a NFS campground on the intercoastal about 20 miles north of Charleston. Then on to Savanna for another 5 nites and stayed at a State Park just SE of Savanna on a coastal island. No issues in transit, but it got so cold where we overnighted in NC that frost must have built up on the slide. Stayed toasty warm with the furnace overnite, but noticed puddles on the floor when we open the next day. The frost must have melted as we entered warmer weather and dripped off the slide after we had pulled it onboard. Toweled it up and hung a throw rug out to dry, and we were good to go.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #9
Site Team

We will be there between Christmas and New Year.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 09-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #10

Not sure if you will end up on I-40 near Asheville, but if possible to avoid it, I would. Lots of steep hills and turns as well as an occasional rock slide! I don't like driving it period, towing or not!
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #11
Site Team

Not to many ways to get from Asheville to Tennessee without traveling I-40. One you get into NC, it is a piece of cake.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 09-09-2013, 04:56 AM   #12

Do you have a 4x4 TV? If so, don't be afraid to use 4x4 if the roads are sketchy. Once you get the TT home, be sure to hose the entire thing very well especially the underside. Use lots of water and be prepare to get wet. Our camper was hauled to an early spring camper show in Syracuse and when we bought that August, There was still salt on the underside! We didn't notice all the rust under it until I was working on a water leak on one of the fresh water tanks after we got it home.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #13

Yes, we pull with a 4x4. We planned to de-winterize upon arriving and winterizing before leaving. I've taken this route many times...in the summer, and it's a beautiful drive. I just get nervous.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #14

Myrtle Beach is full of storage places on US17... Maybe tow it down there now and place in storage. Then make your Christmas trip for a longer stay during the winter months... Been to Charleston and N Chargleston alot during the winter months in my working years but have never looked for storage places there...

Something to think about maybe?

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote