Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-31-2013, 04:57 PM   #1

Low point drain and other tank questions

We had to leave the campground in an emergency this past Sunday. Long story short I had to drain my gray water and black water tank at the campground. I refill them about Half way with freshwater and added the appropriate amount of chemical. Once I got home I Drained the grey and black water tanks again. I then opened up all of the low point drains. Will that have completely drained the freshwater tank? Also do I need to have left open the graywater and Blackwater valves to air out? I have not had the opportunity to get back to the trailer since then. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
GB
4x4 6.0l v8
GBandPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:09 PM   #2

The low point drains on my Trailer only drain the lines there are two turn valves right below my fresh water fill that drain the fresh water tanks. not sure if that iswhat you are talking about or not. my low point drains the valves are inside under bathroom sink. As far as black water and gray water tanks I never leave the valves open I drain the tanks and flush them then close and put about 3 galons of water and a package of cemical in black tank and I am ready for next trip.
2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
Site Team

You will also want to drain the hot water tank....
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
You will also want to drain the hot water tank....
^^^^ YUP ^^^^ unless you want a case of the hot water stinkies next trip
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBandPB View Post
We had to leave the campground in an emergency this past Sunday. Long story short I had to drain my gray water and black water tank at the campground. I refill them about Half way with freshwater and added the appropriate amount of chemical. Once I got home I Drained the grey and black water tanks again. I then opened up all of the low point drains. Will that have completely drained the freshwater tank? Also do I need to have left open the graywater and Blackwater valves to air out? I have not had the opportunity to get back to the trailer since then. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
GB
The drain valves for both the water tanks in my Eagle 284BHS are labeled 'LOW POINT DRAIN'. I would think it is safe to assume that the various system labels on a Whitehawk trailer are about the same as an Eagle.

So if you opened all the low point drains as you stated, then yes you most likely drained the water tank also.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:41 AM   #6

Don't leave the grey and black tank valves open the seals can also dry out. As was previously mentioned add a couple gallons of water and chemical.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #7

On my Designer 5er, opening the low point drains WILL NOT drain the freshwater tank. These will only drain the system pipes, except for the hot water tank, which has a separate drain valve. There is another drain valve directly on the FW tank that drains it. In most tanks, there is no way to get water from the tank into the pipes without using the pump, so it needs a separate drain.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #8

Thanks for all the help guys. I finally got to it today. Looks like I did a pretty good job getting everything empty in the dark last week. Today, all I really had to do was finish emptying the water heater. I added about three gallons with some chemical to the grey and black and called it an afternoon.
4x4 6.0l v8
GBandPB is offline   Reply With Quote