Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-17-2012, 05:32 AM   #1

Unhappy LP / CO Alarm

Hello All -

We just had our 2nd trip shortened in our 2011 330 RLTS....love the trailer but this alarm is gettting old.

First trip - Alarm sounded at 4am. I moved wife and kids out to the truck and silenced the alarm. Checked the connections all over for lp leak and everything seemed fine. I reinstalled the alarm and spoke with a tech who said pet dander could set it off. We have a golden so I chocked it up to that.

Second trip - Guess what? Another alarm at 1:30 am.....no dog this time..fortunatly we were 30 minutes from home so I disconnected the alarm / power, etc and headed home.

I'm hoping it's a faulty alarm. I don't smell LP at all but CO is odorless so I'm now concerned with it.

Anyone else have any issues like this?

Thanks -
Jeff
Jtrober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:39 AM   #2

I dont have good luck with mine either. I did install a second unit with the thought in mind if both go off then I really get worried about it...

Sometimes it is a weak battery or the replace date of the detector has expired.

Some of them just about anything will set them off...
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:45 AM   #3

Thanks Roy -

I was thinking it was the pet hair thing. Now I don't know what it is. Kind of scary when this thing sounds in the middle of the night though....

I'm thinking I may contact the manufacturer of the alarm to see if they can test it??? Unless there is a simpler route.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:29 AM   #4

Find out by looking at the back what the life of the alarm is. If it is not expired then contact the mfg and they may honor the time and send you one.

Some will fail and Kidde is great at honoring their warrenties.

Don't know of the others.

Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log
dalenoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #5

Depending on when you purchased your TT you should be under the 2 yr warranty.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #6

[QUOTE=Jtrober;83106]Hello All -

We just had our 2nd trip shortened in our 2011 330 RLTS....love the trailer but this alarm is gettting old.

First trip - Alarm sounded at 4am. I moved wife and kids out to the truck and silenced the alarm. Checked the connections all over for lp leak and everything seemed fine. I reinstalled the alarm and spoke with a tech who said pet dander could set it off. We have a golden so I chocked it up to that.

Second trip - Guess what? Another alarm at 1:30 am.....no dog this time..fortunatly we were 30 minutes from home so I disconnected the alarm / power, etc and headed home.

I'm hoping it's a faulty alarm. I don't smell LP at all but CO is odorless so I'm now concerned with it.

Anyone else have any issues like this?

Thanks -
Jeff[/QUOTE

Ours did the same thing. I called the manufacturer and told them my problem.
At first they wanted us to send it in for testing. But when I explained we were living in the trailer for the next 4 months, they sent us a brand new one and a mailing label to return the defective one. They wanted our credit card in case we didn't return the bad unit - then they'd charge us for it. New one works great and we returned the bad one with no problems. Our brand is a Safe-T-Alert LP/CO
Reese straight line dual cam
17k wd hitch
2005 GMC diesel
Crew cab long bed
:Flag:
bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #7

Bounder - I'm guessing your unit and our's were built back to back

We both have 330 RLTS and if I recall correctly we both had black tank sprayer issues and now this alarm. I wonder how many more 330 RLTS owners are out there with if not one of these issues but both.....
Old 06-17-2012, 01:14 PM   #8

Jeff, sorry to hear about the problems with the alarm. You have handled this issue well by not disregarding the alarm and moving your family to a safe place. This same issue was brought up in a RV mag I read. I agree with taking it to the dealer and having it replaced or them finding the source for setting it off.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #9

Thanks Everyone -

I've got an e-mail in to MDI Industries, the manufacturer of the Safe T Alert and I'll give a call tomorrow. In the meantine, I grabbed our house CO monitor and placed it in the trailer next to the existing one so we'll see.

Something else very odd - I steped out to go into the trailer and the radio was on....I had turned it off earlier in the day. The radio and the LP / CO alarm are on the same cicuit..........more to come......
Old 06-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrober View Post
Bounder - I'm guessing your unit and our's were built back to back

We both have 330 RLTS and if I recall correctly we both had black tank sprayer issues and now this alarm. I wonder how many more 330 RLTS owners are out there with if not one of these issues but both.....
Yes we did. I also had to have the bedroom slide motor replaced.
Reese straight line dual cam
17k wd hitch
2005 GMC diesel
Crew cab long bed
:Flag:
bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #11

Mine just went off also at 5am today. Looked at the date and says it expired a few months ago. Need to pick one up this week.
cpa0912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #12

I just shipped mine back to MDI Industries. I'll let you all know the out-come. I did place our home CO detector in the trailer since it has been home and as far as I know neither the camper alarm or the home alarm has sounded. I've run the furnace a few times and given it time to build....I'm confused...it only seemed to alarm when we are in the **** thing
Old 06-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #13

Check for Methane smell it will also trip the LP detector.. Mine doing the same thing Wife and kids at the trailer for weekend it is doing it again. I will look at it next week Wife said there is a slight Methane odor under the sink. 2012 330 RLTS
rheyco is offline   Reply With Quote