Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-23-2016, 07:30 PM   #1

LP tanks stolen

So I am a UPS driver and you know this is our peak season. I left my house this morning and I realized that I forgot my sunglasses at home and I needed them as my eyes are sensitive so I need to wear them or else I will get a major headache . Fortunately, I live on my route so I stopped home to get them. Leaving my house, I noticed the tank cover on the ground. I jumped out of my truck and saw that both tanks were gone. They were there last night as I check up on the camper every few days. All of the hardware were neatly placed on the tank tray. The cover was placed upright next to it. The battery box and the locks were untampered. I have the battery stored away for the winter. I was really upset as this is a brand new camper. I went on with my deliveries but I was not happy at all. Then I was thinking about it. Nothing was vandalized or tampered with or broken. I would like to think that that someone did this out of desperation as maybe they needed heat for their family or something like that and if so Merry Christmas. BUT..... I am still not happy about it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 12-23-2016, 07:33 PM   #2
Site Team

Dam, sorry to hear that. Nothing worse then a theif.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:59 PM   #3

This guy lives in your neighborhood
Old 12-23-2016, 08:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
This guy lives in your neighborhood
I think you are right lol

Old 12-23-2016, 09:11 PM   #5

I own some acreage in the southern mountains of colorado that overlook new mexico. It's a very rural area, in the poorest county in the state. There are a handful of people that live up there year round, and we have personally had dinner with all of them, consider them to be good friends... i.e. we don't believe it was someone we know. It's just too much land for neighborhood watch to be effective.

When we were younger and more naive, we would hide some 30 lb propane tanks up there, some tools like those giant crow bars you can use to move large rocks, some shovels, we built a nice picnic table, fire ring lined with native rock, and a truck load of paver stones we used to build a nice hearth / base... spent most of our time and energy making the road so we could get in there with our truck... this 'labor of love' took about 5 years, all by hand. I didn't think about theft all that much, but I did put in 5 acres worth of ranch style fencing, w/concrete posts and a gate across our road... which was off of an isolated county road that you needed a jeep (or balls of steel) to get into to begin with.

6 months later, we show up in the spring time. Everything is gone. Even the humming bird feeders we leave stocked and hanging in the trees.

They stole the bricks, the picnic table which was chained 2 times to 2 different trees, they found and stole our propane tanks, my tools and well... talk about feeling violated... the few items that I took the time to lock down with padlocks and hard core chain, the theives left the pieces of chain link in a neat little pile next to each item they stole... for some reason that Pi**ed me off a lot as well. One of the main reasons I'm on this forum, and no longer investing in that property (we were going to build a cabin there, hiring locals and contributing more to the economy) is that kind of theft. Just can't trust leaving anything out in the open, , or locked, or hidden. ever... more in some cases than others obviously. But we're done. At least with the With an RV you have options on where it is sitting at any given point and *hopefully* you end up getting violated less frequently. My camper has a camera on it 24/7, dogs and police within 5 minutes vs. never. I guess that's one of the reasons I'm here now.

That land is going up for sale in the spring. Their community lost out on our meager contributions to their economy forever.

I know there are a lot of desperate people in that area, and I hope the theft of our items, and the loss of our faith in the community has helped some family survive out there, but on the other side of the coin, honestly - if I ever were to catch someone in the act, I'd bury them on that land. It's not the money lost, or the time, it's the personal violation.

Sorry for your loss, getting ripped off at a place where you should feel safe is a MAJOR violation of humanity. Karma or otherwise, trust they will get theirs in the end. Hope I didn't derail your thread with my own story of theft, but this topic strike a cord with me on several levels.

Merry Christmas everyone.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:13 PM   #6

It seems no matter where you go, there's always a lowlife that has to spoil things for someone else.

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo303 View Post
I would like to think that that someone did this out of desperation as maybe they needed heat for their family or something like that and if so Merry Christmas.
Hope that was the issue and you have a Merry Christmas.
(Maybe Santa is bringing you new tanks)
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 12:10 AM   #8

had enough of thieves

I know I am supposed to forgive those that steal from me, but when they took my pad mounted 15kw backup generator, I had enough.
pop up pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:20 AM   #9

There are lowlife thieves everywhere. Our daughter and family live in an apartment complex in Nashville, TN. As she was heading out yesterday to walk her dog, UPS showed up with a Christmas package from Amazon. She stuck in in her SUV intending to grab it after walking the dog for five minutes. Someone must have seen her put it in there because when she returned, it was gone.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:29 AM   #10

Sorry for your loss of propane tanks... Always something going on...

I have this pad lock setup installed on my two tanks securing the metal spin nut as shown in this similar google image...

It would not take much effort to cut the padlock but at least it would slow them down...

My problem now is keeping track of the lock key haha...

Google Image

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:49 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
Sorry for your loss of propane tanks... Always something going on...

I have this pad lock setup installed on my two tanks securing the metal spin nut as shown in this similar google image...

It would not take much effort to cut the padlock but at least it would slow them down...

My problem now is keeping track of the lock key haha...

Google Image

Roy Ken
Yeah that's the problem with having a bunch of locks. When you want to use the darn things you have to hunt down the key 🔑 which of course I never have on me.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:51 AM   #12

Thanks everyone for the stories. I appreciate it. I am just glad nothing else was damaged or vandalized. Hope everyone enjoys their holiday.

Old 12-24-2016, 08:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Yeah that's the problem with having a bunch of locks. When you want to use the darn things you have to hunt down the key 🔑 which of course I never have on me.
Years ago after rowing 🚣out to my sailboat and forgetting the key, I went to the hardware store and got a box of master combo locks all the same number. One on the shed, bike, boat, camper, locker at work, etc. give them a squirt of lubricant and one of the best investments I ever made
2008 Pilgrim 328 BHSS(sold)
1995 Jayco 264 BH(sold)
2012 Ram CC Cummins 4x4 SRW w/4.10 gears using Andersen Ultimate hitch
Rmgrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:53 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmgrose View Post
Years ago after rowing 🚣out to my sailboat and forgetting the key, I went to the hardware store and got a box of master combo locks all the same number. One on the shed, bike, boat, camper, locker at work, etc. give them a squirt of lubricant and one of the best investments I ever made
I would probably stil forget that master key, lol.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:55 AM   #15

My savings grace is my truck has push button door lock on it. I keep all of my key chains in the glove box of my truck. I'm the only driver of the truck so it is usually with me especially when camping...

All the campers keep complaining about the infamous CH751 key used on all the trailers. I have got alot of smiles and a few cups of coffee in my travels opening their locked doors for them haha...

How are you doing CRABMAN - Ones of these years maybe we can meet up somewhere... I am still kicking at 76 years old...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:17 AM   #16

Thief's are a pain in the behind. hopefully they were 20 pound tanks as they are fairly cheap to replace.

I have my spare tire located under the tongue, so I ran a cable lock through the propane tank handles, and down to the spare tire. All three are locked together. I have one key that works for about 6 locks. I keep a spare key stashed in the htt, just incase I need it.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:33 AM   #17

I just use a couple Wireless cameras at strategic locations watching everything outside. Videos are saved to the hard drive on my computer. If someone does something, at least I have proof to show the insurance company and a video to show the police.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
I own some acreage in the southern mountains of colorado that overlook new mexico. It's a very rural area, in the poorest county in the state. There are a handful of people that live up there year round, and we have personally had dinner with all of them, consider them to be good friends... i.e. we don't believe it was someone we know. It's just too much land for neighborhood watch to be effective.

When we were younger and more naive, we would hide some 30 lb propane tanks up there, some tools like those giant crow bars you can use to move large rocks, some shovels, we built a nice picnic table, fire ring lined with native rock, and a truck load of paver stones we used to build a nice hearth / base... spent most of our time and energy making the road so we could get in there with our truck... this 'labor of love' took about 5 years, all by hand. I didn't think about theft all that much, but I did put in 5 acres worth of ranch style fencing, w/concrete posts and a gate across our road... which was off of an isolated county road that you needed a jeep (or balls of steel) to get into to begin with.

6 months later, we show up in the spring time. Everything is gone. Even the humming bird feeders we leave stocked and hanging in the trees.

They stole the bricks, the picnic table which was chained 2 times to 2 different trees, they found and stole our propane tanks, my tools and well... talk about feeling violated... the few items that I took the time to lock down with padlocks and hard core chain, the theives left the pieces of chain link in a neat little pile next to each item they stole... for some reason that Pi**ed me off a lot as well. One of the main reasons I'm on this forum, and no longer investing in that property (we were going to build a cabin there, hiring locals and contributing more to the economy) is that kind of theft. Just can't trust leaving anything out in the open, , or locked, or hidden. ever... more in some cases than others obviously. But we're done. At least with the With an RV you have options on where it is sitting at any given point and *hopefully* you end up getting violated less frequently. My camper has a camera on it 24/7, dogs and police within 5 minutes vs. never. I guess that's one of the reasons I'm here now.

That land is going up for sale in the spring. Their community lost out on our meager contributions to their economy forever.

I know there are a lot of desperate people in that area, and I hope the theft of our items, and the loss of our faith in the community has helped some family survive out there, but on the other side of the coin, honestly - if I ever were to catch someone in the act, I'd bury them on that land. It's not the money lost, or the time, it's the personal violation.

Sorry for your loss, getting ripped off at a place where you should feel safe is a MAJOR violation of humanity. Karma or otherwise, trust they will get theirs in the end. Hope I didn't derail your thread with my own story of theft, but this topic strike a cord with me on several levels.

Merry Christmas everyone.
Your experience is repeated 1000's of times with people who own seasonal or vacation properties. You are not there and it only takes a few bad people [often teenagers or worthless young adults who support themselves by stealing]. We faced the same problem when we bought what is now our permanent retirement home. We owned the farm and its small older house for 4 years before moving down. People knew we didn't live there but the fact that we were down 2 or 3 weekends a month kept them guessing. One of the smartest things I did and it was almost totally by accident, was to meet and get to know the local sheriff. There wasn't much of value to steal for the first few years other than our boats but it doesn't take much value for these lowlifes to steal it anyway. The 2nd thing I did was to fire off a few dozen rounds of gunfire outside the cabin. I had locals mention that they have heard gunfire on the property. Helps to keep people thinking before they trespass and since these people are cowards it probably was a deterrent.

Finally set up a couple game camera's that will not be easy to spot but will identify people coming on your property. That will come in handy when you catch up with your friend the sheriff the next time down. Don't give up on your getaway quite yet. Fight back!!
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:15 AM   #19

stolen propane tanks are probably for a meth lab,
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Your experience is repeated 1000's of times with people who own seasonal or vacation properties. You are not there and it only takes a few bad people [often teenagers or worthless young adults who support themselves by stealing]. We faced the same problem when we bought what is now our permanent retirement home. We owned the farm and its small older house for 4 years before moving down. People knew we didn't live there but the fact that we were down 2 or 3 weekends a month kept them guessing. One of the smartest things I did and it was almost totally by accident, was to meet and get to know the local sheriff. There wasn't much of value to steal for the first few years other than our boats but it doesn't take much value for these lowlifes to steal it anyway. The 2nd thing I did was to fire off a few dozen rounds of gunfire outside the cabin. I had locals mention that they have heard gunfire on the property. Helps to keep people thinking before they trespass and since these people are cowards it probably was a deterrent.

Finally set up a couple game camera's that will not be easy to spot but will identify people coming on your property. That will come in handy when you catch up with your friend the sheriff the next time down. Don't give up on your getaway quite yet. Fight back!!

Actually, the only thing I use the land for now is target shooting

I bring the biggest and loudest 'items' I own the handful of times a year I still go out there. Not 100% convinced I should sell it, but my wife wants nothing to do with it now.. will see.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote