Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2016, 07:27 PM   #1

LR D Upgrade to LR E Tires?

I just had a tread separate on one of my Trailer King Towmax tires
- ST225/75R15 LRD's.
- Tire blew like a cannon went off and split the tire sidewall on both sides rim to rim.
- Tires always inflated to 65 psi
- Always cruised below 65 mph.
- 3rd year
- just over 11,000 miles on them.
- Tore up my grey tank valve handle (so far don't know if the valve is toast too.) Had to be the tire just in front of the valve.

I was planning to replace the tires after my first trip this year anyway, but now it is a necessity. The question I have is....is there any disadvantage to upgrading to a LR E 10 ply tire and inflating to 80 psi over sticking with the LRD 7(?) ply tire at 65 psi?

I have margin with my LRD's but after that blow out, I wanted to get all the margin I can get. The only disadvantage I can think of is maybe a little harder on the trailer due to a rougher ride (vibration) as the trailer is only 8500 lbs GVW.

Any Thoughts or experiences? I was going to get the Greenball tires from Costco, only $6 difference between a LRD and LRE tire. Seems if you look long enough there is a good and bad thread on every tire out there .

Thanks for the help.

2014 Whitehawk 33BHBS
Equilizer WDH
2023 F350 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7l 3.31
2014 F250 4X4 Crew Cab 6.2 l 3.73 (sold)
2010 F150 4X4 Supercrew 4.6l 3.73 (traded in)
t2daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:06 PM   #2

Tim,

Look for the rim rating (weight or psi) on the backside, sometimes on one of the spokes. If you have the steel rims, try checking your spare as that may be easier.

If the rims will handle the higher air pressure, go for it! The tt may ride a little rougher, but having more "reserve capacity" IMHO can't hurt at all! I am planning on doing the same thing, though our factory tires aren't even 1yr old yet (date of purchase, can't remember the manufacture date).

Do some research before going with the Greenball tires. Not sure exactly how they are, or the speed rating. I am planning on going with a set of Carlisle RH's (or maybe the new HD's??? Not sure yet on the new model). I have had very good luck with 2 previous sets, and the 15" are speed rated to 81mph per the gentleman I talked to at Carlisle last Fall. Just like the weight rating, having a higher "reserve capacity/ cushion" on the speed rating can't hurt either. Even if Costco can't get the Carlisle's, if there is a local Discount Tire they should be able to help.

Regardless of what tires you do buy, insist on the newest tires possible. There are reports of "new" tires that are already 2yrs old when mounted!!!

Good luck!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:06 PM   #3

My aluminum wheels can take 110 psi so no issue there. I was considering whether to replace the spare this year or wait one more year....

I do need to check the rating of the steel wheel for the spare.

The Greenball's are speed rated as an L.

2014 Whitehawk 33BHBS
Equilizer WDH
Old 06-13-2016, 11:00 PM   #4

I'm not familiar with Greenball tires, I saw them when I was looking for new tires myself. I installed Carlise's RH. Well know brand, have them on my utilities trailer.

I would recommend changing out your spare too. Its getting old, and unreliable too. If you change load ratings your spare may not be fully compatible with your new tires.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:56 AM   #5
Site Team

Every fifth wheel I have had, 3, were upgraded from C to D, D to E and E to G tires at the first opportunity.

Problem I waited until damage was done by blowouts on 2 of them.

Just make sure your rims will handle the higher pressure. If not, new rims are not cost prohibitive.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2daniel View Post
My aluminum wheels can take 110 psi so no issue there. I was considering whether to replace the spare this year or wait one more year....

I do need to check the rating of the steel wheel for the spare.

The Greenball's are speed rated as an L.
Sounds like you are all set then on the rims!!! Didn't know that about the GB speed rating, that's good.

If you have the funds, can't hurt to do the spare now. Or maybe soon after the other 4. Mainly because as mentioned, it isn't recommended to mix load ratings unless a dire necessity.

Good luck!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:19 AM   #7
bap

Greenball makes Towmaster tires.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:56 AM   #8

Yes that is correct, Greenball makes towmaster tires.

What Costco carries is a "SS" tire which from my research is a special hot weather formulation and therefore is more resistant to heat....or dissipates heat better. Since I don't tow in Winter, I think LRE, L speed rating, Summer formulation gives a good amount of margin. I'll upgrade the spare too after confirming the metal wheel for the spare can take a LRE tire @ 80 psi. Based on my wheel size and 6 hole pattern, I think mine are all LRE compatible wheels so I don't expect an issue.

Just curious, was I fortunate to get 11,000 miles out of a set of trailer tire? I've seen recommendations that say trailer tires are only good for 5,000 to 12,000 miles!

On a side note...I think it is crazy that trailer tires seem to be so poor of quality, specifications and service lifetime in general. I work for Continental (on electronics), but the company makes Continental and General Tires. Continental makes commercial truck tires. I ask everyone I can why we don't make a trailer tire. We should be able to take all the knowledge from our passenger tires and commercial truck tires and make the best trailer tire around. I'll keep asking. Maybe it will be a new business for them.

2014 Whitehawk 33BHBS
Equilizer WDH
Old 06-15-2016, 07:02 AM   #9

I suggest Maxxis E rated tires. For those that actually put miles on their trailer tires upgrading as soon as you can afford to do so is a wise decision. As Norty said if you have D's go to E, if you have E's go to G's. The factory tires are not to be used for actual tires they are on the unit to get it from the factory to somewhere down the road in an empty condition which is useless to an actual camper who owns stuff they intend to put in the trailer to be used in an actual camping situation.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:59 PM   #10

I did that on my old 5'er. Went from 15" D's to 15" E's. Didn't stop my tire problems. When I went to 16" LT tires, is the point where I didn't have a single trailer tire problem for 4 or 5 years right up until I sold it. After that experience, I'll never by a Trailer Tire again. Although for you, you would need to buy new wheels to do that...
Old 06-23-2016, 07:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
I did that on my old 5'er. Went from 15" D's to 15" E's. Didn't stop my tire problems. When I went to 16" LT tires, is the point where I didn't have a single trailer tire problem for 4 or 5 years right up until I sold it. After that experience, I'll never by a Trailer Tire again. Although for you, you would need to buy new wheels to do that...
I have never seen anything on the internet anywhere of a Maxxis load range E tire having an issue. Perhaps your experience was related to the brand of tire and not the size of the rim's?

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
I have never seen anything on the internet anywhere of a Maxxis load range E tire having an issue. Perhaps your experience was related to the brand of tire and not the size of the rim's?
It was 100% the tires and had nothing to do with the wheel.

But going to a 16" wheel gave me the option to run LT tires (which are very limited in a 15" wheel), which gives me many more options for quality tires. I know that not everyone agrees with running LT tires on a trailer, but I for one, will never buy a ST tire again.