Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #1

Unhappy MICE - Help!

Okay Gang, been a while since we've been online here. Our Camper is sitting on a permanent site at a very nice campground. This Saturday we went out to camp for the day and came back on Sunday. Low & Behold, we have Mice Droppings on our kitchen counter Sunday morning. No signs the day before. This is the only place we found evidence of the rodent.

We keep things perfectly clean & all food is stored containers. Not sure how they got in, esepcially since we've been told that the underneath of our TT is sealed off. Realizing it only takes a 1/2" of space for them to find their way in. So we're looking for sugestions.

We currently put traps up (Kitchen sink, Pantry, near all drains) along with Balsam Bags as recommended by the campground owners. We are going to put Steel Wool in all the floor drains. The campground also recommends this product that is sprayed underneth (has a vaseline look to it). Run us about $300 to have done, suppose to work.

We're reacing out to you guys for recommendations. Not sure if the cridder is still in the trailer or if it will return. Don't want to take any chances.

As always, you guys are great for suggestions..

Thanks in advance everyone.
John & Janine
2012 Jayco 308RETS

2012 Jayco Super Lite 308 RETS
2014 Georgetown 328TSF
2013 Jeep Rubicon w/Mods
308rets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

John,

There are numerous ways to deal with mice in a TT, but I have to question spending $300 as a possible solution.

I have always had good luck with a couple standard spring loaded traps baited with peanut butter, unless you run across a smart mouse like I did recently. Just for grins, check this out: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...-One-Man/page3

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #3

Bob,

I couldn't agree more.. Not in a big hurry to drop $300 if I can avoid this. After 20 years of camping, first time mouse experience.. Great story by the way in your other thread. I did set up 4 spring loaded traps - One in the Pantry, under the sink near the hot water tank, one on the kitchen counter and a fourth in the bathroom vanity for GP!

Heading up tomorrow to check on the situation.. I'll keep you posted..

John

2014 Georgetown 328TSF
2013 Jeep Rubicon w/Mods
Old 08-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #4

I'll have to agree - $300 is way too much. In the house and in the 5er, we have always used spring traps and peanut butter with excellent and permanent results.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #5

I can’t tell you how they are getting in. But this is what I would do to try to stop future mice attacks (sometimes it feels like a war against mice). I would spend a few hours looking over ever possible nook and cranny. From the inside I would look at every penetration hole in the floors and walls, ie electrical and gas penetrations. You may need to remove the false walls in the trailer to get to them all. When you find one I would use a clear pure silicone caulk and fill the gap. From the outside I would do the same on the under carriage and walls. Do not over look where your shore power connection. There you do not want to use caulk. There you could use a Stainless Steel type steel wool, to fill the gap behind the cover, this also allows you to coil the power feed wire back in during off seasons.

Best of luck with your counter attack.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:55 AM   #6

Thanks for the input everyone. Jagiven - Steel wool is on my list of things to buy. I plan on using it everywhere a pipe comes up throught the floor. I will be checking the entire undercarriage, even though it's enclosed, I'm sure there's a spot somewhere they could be getting in.

The only place we had evidence was on the kitchen counter. I'm thinking they may be coming up behind the stove. Heading to Campground tonight to see if my spring loaded traps worked. I'm hoping it's only one since it's so early in the season and really haven't had any cold weather yet.

I'll keep everyone posted..
Thanks..

2014 Georgetown 328TSF
2013 Jeep Rubicon w/Mods
Old 08-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #7

When we bought our Greyhawk the deal said that to keep out rodents put toilet bowl cleaner tablets that you hang in a standard toilet in each of the lower storage compartments and the smell will keep them out. Does it work, I guess, have not had any problems with the little critters.
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #8

I'm not sure about using traps as you have to check them out almost daily. I suggest using poison that come in those plastic bags. If they have been chewed through then you know you have a mouse and once they eat the stuff they leave or they dry up with no smell. I had one just this last spring but after I cleaned up there was no sign of mice and I don't know where they came in but they or it is gone and I ill try to find and seal an opening but I will place my poison packs around my unit which also includes my storage areas.
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #9

Poison work but where do they die, in the rig could get some rotten smells.
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawk View Post
Poison work but where do they die, in the rig could get some rotten smells.
Usually when they eat this stuff they leave the area and die somewhere else, but if they do die in the area then they shrivel up with no smell and all you have to do is remove the corpse. I have not had to remove the corpse from two incidents I have had in the last 5 years. One solution is to have the whole underside spray foamed but then I guess you have to consider the cost.
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #11

ULTRASONIC Pest Control - Hmmmm.. Has anyone tried these?

They plug into an outlet and life is good - so they say! $24 bucks for a two pack made by Victor Pest Reellents! Not harmfull to pets (unless you have a pet mouse, gerbal or guinea pig. LOL!). One small sensor works up to 400 Square feet.

I may give it a shot along with the spring loaded traps. For $24 what do I have to loose!

Thanks again,
John

2014 Georgetown 328TSF
2013 Jeep Rubicon w/Mods
Old 08-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #12

I tried ultrasonic in my shop. The instructions said to change the frequency periodicly, which I did and did, and still had them in the shop. My dog has been a much better mouser than anything.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 08-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #13

One more thing, dont forget your wheel wells

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 08-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #14

I bet the toilet bowl cleaner works well. My wife puts dryer sheets in the drawers, cabinets and storage areas to prevent mice. We've owned a travel trailer since 2003 and have been lucky enough to not have mice. I don't know if it's a result of the dryer sheets, but my wife is convienced. You can get a lot of toilet bowl cleaner or dryer sheets for $300.
Matt B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:30 AM   #15

UPDATE!

Ran out to camp last night and low and behold the little rodent returned. Ate the Peanut Butter off the trap on sink counter top (sneaky)! Looked at the trap under the sink and yes, he ate that too (sneakier)! UH, open the pantry door and the spring trap got him.. Teach you to mess with me.. LOL!

Spent two hours cleaning counters, drawers, pots and pans! Set up 3 new traps (Ortho Style), put Steel Wool in every floor opening (sink drains, water lines, etc..) that I could find. Also put steel wool at the Power Cord opening. This time of year I can only hope that it was just one curious mouse, but you never know! Especially with the amount of droppings we had.

By the way, the Balsom Balls don't work. I had them right next to the traps and the mouse still ate the bait!

2014 Georgetown 328TSF
2013 Jeep Rubicon w/Mods
Old 08-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #16

I have had my best luck with peanut butter and the old fashioned spring trap.
smoothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #17

Fresh Cab. Used by grain farmers in their combines.

http://www.earth-kind.com/