Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2014, 09:34 PM   #1

Mounting LED Strips On 26RLS Camper...

So last spring we mounted those LED light strips on the side of our 28DSBH. We ran the power cable down the side of the awning support arm that's on the side of the camper. We ran the wire behind the cable cover, just like the power cable is for the awning. We were then able to drill a hole through the side of the camper and into the front storage area. I swapped the single bulb fixture in the front storage for a dual bulb fixture. One side of the fixture has an LED panel and the other side has one of those adapters you use to plug on LED panel into the socket but I spliced the LED strip power line into it to get power. It works great and is such a clean install.

Our 26RLS isn't as easy since the awning arm doesn't go into the front storage area. Has anyone come up with a good solution to get power to the LED strips on a camper like this? Should we tie it into the porch light? Should we run down the fridge vent and tap in there using 12V? Should we simply replace the single receptacle outlet that the fridge uses for a double socket receptacle and plug the fridge and LED power supply into it?

Any suggestions?

I don't know the exact measurements off the top of my head but I do know that I'm going to have to cut about 2-3' off the strip in order to get it to fit within the space of my awning. I'd love to take that small strip and mount it to the our entrance step area to better illuminate it. This would have to be a 12V setup and I already have the materials I need to make it work but I'm unsure of where to get the 12V from. Should we just run a fused line directly to the battery?

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:02 AM   #2

I just installed a 5meter led strip on my awning roller tube.. I threw out the provided power supply as it took 120 volt and transformed it to 12 volt DC. I put a power plug (cigarette lighter socket) on the trim piece below the awning arm. Ran wires for it to the battery.. then just ran the power cord to the control unit along the awning arm. When it comes time to roll up the awning I unplug the control unit roll up the power line and put it in the storage bay.. NOTE there is no need to use a heavy power cord from the power point to the LED strip as it does not draw much power.. I used speaker wire... But from the battery to the power point I used 8-10 gauge wire in case I wanted to plug something else in. FUSE IT FUSE IT FUSE IT....
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:57 AM   #3

I have mine secured to the TT itself. That way I do not have to have the awning extended to use the lites. Anyways, I also purchased from Amazon, an extra 10' adapter that plugs into both the lights and power supply. I opened up the outside fridge panel and placed both the power supply and remote sensor inside. I have the remote sensor extending out a lil bit. I the ran the extension into the power supply and remote, and ran the power cord out to the outlets located just outside the fridge panel. Granted you can see the 10' extension, but it is white just like the TT, and the black cord leaving the fridge panel, but overall it looks ok. This spring I may see what other choices I have. When I leave I just unplug it all and take it inside.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:32 PM   #4

I currently have an LED strip connected to the roller tube but also would like to put one on the side of the RV because sometimes, due to wind, I cannot extent the awning. My plan is to wire it directly to the porch light by drilling a hole in the camper side and fishing the line to the switch. The other thing I am contemplating is to run a 15' LED strip along the I-beam (or "C" beam) on the curbside from the back of the 5er to as far forward as it will go and tie it into the step light. I'll let you know if I am successful, and if the wiring will even work. I've got the RV in the shop right now, getting ready for the next trip.
Two non-electrical related items concern me; 1). how to make sure the light strip connected to the camper side will not blow off while traveling down the road and, 2). how to connect the other light strip to the "I-beam". Sorry, I don't have an answer just yet to your question but sooner or later, I guess someone will be able to help us both. Thanks!

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #5

Geeesh! I hope I didn't hijack your thread

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:17 PM   #6

Interested in how these work out. Subscribed for updates. I would love to put the LEDs under our awning.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCamper View Post

I don't know the exact measurements off the top of my head but I do know that I'm going to have to cut about 2-3' off the strip in order to get it to fit within the space of my awning. I'd love to take that small strip and mount it to the our entrance step area to better illuminate it. This would have to be a 12V setup and I already have the materials I need to make it work but I'm unsure of where to get the 12V from. Should we just run a fused line directly to the battery?
Not sure if it would work, but seems like it should, would be to run a wire to your TT to TV plug and simply put it on a hot one.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote