Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-13-2015, 01:15 PM   #1

Mt Shasta CA campgrounds

I'm renting a Redhawk 29XK this April for a month. First time ever in an RV, so am greatly looking forward to the trip. I have a few printed guides on campgrounds and have looked at the KOA info on-line. I'm thinking one of my stops along the way will be at a campground in the Mt Shasta area. However, I'm a bit concerned that at least one of the sites mentions the noisy trains. I suspect that will be quite bothersome for me.

Has anyone stayed in that area? Do the trains run all the time? Or at least just as you start to fall asleep again.

Any suggestions on decent, but not super noisy campgrounds in that area? It doesn't have to be Shasta, but in that general neck of the woods. Or any suggestions on other places to stay?

I'm leaving from Seattle and staying in Corvallis OR for a few days with friends and then heading down to the Sacramento CA area along I5. I know I need to stay somewhere along the day for the night. I don't want to drive too far when I'm still getting used to the rig. My cat can't drive, so I'll be doing it all myself.

Thanks!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 01:36 PM   #2

You've got great alternatives - 101 and 5 (and even 99). There are SO many wonderful state parks and private places to stay along the way - depending on your interests, be it nature (redwoods), history (like the gold trail), or cities (SF, Sacto). Some of our favorites include "Avenue of the Giants" (Redwood National Park), Boonville/Mendocino/Ft. Ross, Calistoga/Valley of the Moon, etc.. Suggest you utilize ReserveAmerica to book state parks (be aware of length restrictions) and check TripAdvisor and other sites for ratings. Some of the more "out of the way" places tend to be the best and the quietest! Have fun!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 02:40 PM   #3

here's one we like

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colli...ial_State_Park
If you decide to take this route, we've stayed here several times. Of course the coastal route can't be beat, but sounds like you're wanting to make good time.
You have a park picked out in Sacramento? Check out the RV park at CalExpo.
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 02:45 PM   #4

I'll stay with friends in Sacramento, so I don't need a camp ground there. And I have the rig for a month, so time isn't that much of a concern coming home.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:31 PM   #5

Lake Siskiyou campground is nice. It is very large, has boating, fishing, swim beach, camp store and more. If you are in the area on the 4th of July, don't miss the parade in down town Mt. Shasta city and be sure to watch the firework show over lake Siskiyou! Mt. Shasta is beautiful. Have fun!

ddrueckh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 05:25 PM   #6

I take it your looking for a direct route to Sacramento first and if you are then this is what I would do.
After Corvallis I would truck down to Mt. Shasta, I have stayed at the KOA in Mt. Shasta and it's fine for a night or two and it close to town and that could be a good thing. It is 300 miles and 6 hours of driving and that makes for a good day.
Shasta to Sacramento is 223 miles and that would be easy.
Need to know your other plans or approx. plans are so we can give you not only places we like but what roads to stay off of. As an example going on the 101 & 1 getting back and forth can be a challenge. The 101 from Cloverdale on to the 128 to the 1 is fine going to Mendocino but if you went north to "Rockport and over to Leggett"you would be in trouble like you wouldn't believe!!! I know I did it and never again on that streach. Google is your friend with maps and bring the road up as close as you can to see all the twisties you might have to Navigate in some places.
Tunce the traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:59 PM   #7

x2
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:37 PM   #8

Tunce, that is exactly what I was thinking for the route down. And for the length of each day's travel.

I still need to work on my route back home, so will post inquiries on that once I get it figured out more than I have right now.

Thanks!
Old 02-15-2015, 01:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
After Corvallis I would truck down to Mt. Shasta, I have stayed at the KOA in Mt. Shasta and it's fine for a night or two and it close to town and that could be a good thing. It is 300 miles and 6 hours of driving and that makes for a good day.
How noisy was the campground? It was the KOA's site that mentioned supplying free earplugs to light sleepers. Rather concerned about that.

Thanks
Old 02-15-2015, 02:26 PM   #10

The time your going the camp ground should be at least 1/2 empty and no kids but the only other sounds you might hear is 2 or 3 trains at night and a decorator making a house call.
Sorry, it's just my sense of humor but the trains will come rain or snow so don't bother to leave a light on.
Tunce the traveler is online now   Reply With Quote