Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #1

Must have camping extras

Hey, so we are eyeing up a new Jayco trailer. And one of the extras I am trying to negotiate is a credit for the parts department. Before I go in and buy some of those extra things that a person needs for the trailer, I thought I should pose the question to everyone else who has been camping a lot longer than I have. What do you consider as essential when you go camping? Have you found that one extra RV goodie that you could not live with out? What is it? I am going to pick me up a set of the plastic level plates as I always hate hauling the big bulky 2X8 boards to level the tires or put the jacks down on. What else should I look for. Thanks
Ry-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #2

First think I got walking out the door was an electric tongue jack, Maxx air vent covers, good tow mirrors, step cover, and my essential sewer/water stuff. Also might get a good set of power adapters (30-15 / 15-30 / 50-30).

Other than that you might want to go out a few days before you start on some of the other goodies....you can go broke quick

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #3

Screens. Get screens for the furnace, hot water and refrigerator vents. You don't want dirt dobbers making those nasty nests. If they get in your furnace, it is a labor intensive repair.

2012 Eagle SL 308 RETS
Lady Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
Site Team

Here is a thread about "Top ten must haves". Opinions can and do vary.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ight=saltymick
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #5

I purchased a clear plastic elbow for the sewer line. That way I just turn on the built in sprayer and when the water runs clear I know I am done dumping and cleaning the tank. I love mine but it is not intended for the squeamish! LOL
Water pressure regulator.
I had dealer put on Maxx Air Covers and awning toppers.
I also have the plastic leveling blocks.
Electric adaptor to 30 am to 20 when state park or driveway camping.
30 amp to 50 amp adaptor- only used once so not mandatory.
Extra nylon/plastic plug for the hot water heater.
My grandson love it when we make pancakes, so we stopped using the gas stove griddle and purchased an electric griddle to save on propane. (He eats a lot of pancakes!)
Just don't go overboard buying "stuff". Some you will find you won't need or can purchase cheaper at Walmart or other sporting good stores.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Rose View Post
Just don't go overboard buying "stuff". Some you will find you won't need or can purchase cheaper at Walmart or other sporting good stores.
2x on OVERBOARD!
I found that 90% of my budget went to the purchase of the TT, the other 90% of the budget went to "stuff".

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #7

Fireplace gloves. I tend my fire by just grabbing the red-hot logs and moving them where and how I choose. The store more neatly than a poker stick, and I'm never left searching for a branch laying around the camp site.
RustyFairmount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
First think I got walking out the door was an electric tongue jack, Maxx air vent covers, good tow mirrors, step cover, and my essential sewer/water stuff. Also might get a good set of power adapters (30-15 / 15-30 / 50-30).

Other than that you might want to go out a few days before you start on some of the other goodies....you can go broke quick
Excellent list above. Add extre fresh water hose and water pressure regulator. And the regulator goes on supply end so that it protects the hose.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #9

didn't see it on the list(s) and maybe included in your new TT ---- surge protection!!
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:23 AM   #10

x2 on the surge protection/EMS.....oh and a loving wife to do all the tasty cooking...otherwise I'd be eating Hormel chili dogs, mac-n-cheese or Dinty Moore ala rice.(not a sexist remark, just fact, I'd have a limited food repertoire)
Reese Strait Line Trunnion Dual Cam WD
Tekonsha P3
cheetahflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #11

Always keep a few extra $100 bills tucked in your wallet. Just incase credit card machines are down.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodro123 View Post
Always keep a few extra $100 bills tucked in your wallet. Just incase credit card machines are down.
I love this response - I used to always have a $100 bill folded tight and tucked secretly inside my wallet in case of emergency. Now, with six kids (oldest is 15 and youngest is 3 months), I usually ask the kids how much money they have on them when I run into those problems... BTW - we drove our 26BH home today and it is currently parked on our street. I have opened my front door twice just to look out to see it again. I can't believe I'm camping inside it next time we go out I am excited if you can't tell. As soon as I figure out how to add a photo of our tow rig and camper, I will.

And - leave it to me to re-kindle an old thread... still applicable to me??? This is only my second camper but in 1 year (long story with the kids increasing our needs) so I have a few questions on the 2 axle campers and leveling side to side. What is the best way to raise 1 side of a dual axle camper. Do I need to raise both wheels? What produce does the job?
Cheers - OceanGuy
oceanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanguy View Post
What is the best way to raise 1 side of a dual axle camper. Do I need to raise both wheels? What produce does the job?
Cheers - OceanGuy
Well, this question is a thread hijac, but I suppose we can say that leveller blocks come under must haves...so it's OK.
There are many things people use to level side to side. Some use 2 inch lumber under the wheels. Most folks use plastic leveler blocks (like big lego blocks). There are several brands. Lynx and Camco are popular. And yes, you absolutely should have them under both wheels.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:55 AM   #14

Here's a list of the things I have as "must haves". I know this list is pretty extensive and expensive, but I purchased a little here and a little there....

Some sort of wheel chocks (x-chocks or any other brand)
Extra power extension cord and sewer hose....never know how far the pedestal will be from your site
Tire pressure monitors
Electric Impact Wrench
Dont' remember the exact name, but one of those ramps to assist with changing out a flat tire
Safety vest and road triangles (in case you have to change a tire on the side of the road)
SurgeGuard portable surge protector
Portable air compressor (12V)
First Aid Kit and bug spray
Disposable gloves for sewer hose handling
Spare fuses and bulbs
Soap, bucket, and brush to wash the front of your camper once you get to the campsite
Splitter for water hose connection so that you can have another hose to wash the camper, your hands, or whatever else
Extra garden hose o-rings
Totally agree on the max-air vent covers and the grill covers to keep the critters out
Can of slide lube and one for the rubber slide seal
Small tool set with screwdrivers and a few wrenches
Extra toilet tissue (would rather have more than none)
Flashlights with extra batteries (I try to limit everything in my camper to AA batteries only, so I only have to stock the one size)
imaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:33 AM   #15

I guess I'm the exception to the orange plastic leveler blocks crowd. I feel they're a waste of money. I got a pressure treated 2x6 or 2x8 and cut it into short pieces around 12" to 15". I have maybe a dozen or so. I can use them under the tires to level the camper or under the stab jacks or the tongue jack. They cost A LOT LESS than the orange "Lego blocks", they're more rugged and if one does break or gets lost, I don't care because I can make more for very little.

Probably the most important 'must haves' for us are:
Big, over-sized camping recliner chairs
A adequate sized awning (16'+)
A camp mat to go under the awning
Plenty of foam can coolers
More than enough of your favorite cold beverage. (Not necessarily alcoholic)
Plenty of friends and family

Every thing else is secondary to those.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:05 AM   #16

Do yourself a favor and separate things into must have and nice to have. Buy the must have things now and then camp for a while. Then you

For example, our first year, I used spare wood and built chocks and leveling blocks, etc. This year, I bought X-chocks and Lynx leveling blocks. Our first year, we bought cheap outdoor carpet for under the awning and this year, I bought a nice RV mat. By camping, you find out what is important to YOU.