Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-30-2015, 09:50 AM   #21

I believe possibly a couple other issues with the factory tires is the speed travelled during delivery to the dealer and possibly the tires being under inflated....

Maybe that is part of the reason some never have any issues???? Speed was kept to 65moh or so, and the tires were inflated properly.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:25 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
I believe possibly a couple other issues with the factory tires is the speed travelled during delivery to the dealer and possibly the tires being under inflated....

Maybe that is part of the reason some never have any issues???? Speed was kept to 65moh or so, and the tires were inflated properly.
Worth thinking about indeed. My trailer was purchased with tires underinflated over 20%. Spec was/is 65 lbs, trailer tires were all around 50 (or less) when I checked them before our first outing after purchase. No telling how long they'd been like that, but the dealer is about 40 miles from my house.

Is tire pressure or inspection on any of the PDI lists we have? If not, it should be added. That was way too easy to overlook as I was concentrating on the more obvious items esp on the inside of the trailer...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:55 AM   #23

I had read enough horror stories about TowMax tires to know I didn't want to keep them on my new 5th wheel. Even the dealer said they were problematic. In less than a week I had my new set of Carlisle RH load range E tires on it, and no more worries. LR E was a step up from the LR D TowMax tires as well. Sold them on CL and offset the cost of the new tires by a little more than half.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:23 AM   #24

I've towed my HTT all over Ontario and this season in particular, the East Coast (NB, NS, QC)
I've got over 8k on the TM tires now, not including what the former owner (1yr) put on, and they still look great, air loss is nil and with the TPMS sensors and my visual checks several times during trips or stop overs, I've had zero issues. It seems to be the 15" and up Tires that have an issue. Perhaps load related? I'll continue to use mine as I see no reason other than online complaints from a small majority of owners (That's always the way right?) versus spending cash I don't need to at the moment.

Besides, there is no guarantee that a newer brand name tire won't blow and they all have problems anyway, just depends on where you look when researching.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:44 AM   #25

This is why I picked up a laser thermometer to check the tire and hub temps when we stop.

My wife asked "what is THAT for???". I just replied to see how hot the campfire is!!!! Lol

Old 09-30-2015, 02:05 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
I've towed my HTT all over Ontario and this season in particular, the East Coast (NB, NS, QC)
I've got over 8k on the TM tires now, not including what the former owner (1yr) put on, and they still look great, air loss is nil and with the TPMS sensors and my visual checks several times during trips or stop overs, I've had zero issues. It seems to be the 15" and up Tires that have an issue. Perhaps load related? I'll continue to use mine as I see no reason other than online complaints from a small majority of owners (That's always the way right?) versus spending cash I don't need to at the moment.

Besides, there is no guarantee that a newer brand name tire won't blow and they all have problems anyway, just depends on where you look when researching.
I thought perhaps it was load related too, but my TM tires are not over loaded. Each tire has minimum 2400 lbs rated capacity per the sidewall (in dual configuration) on 4400 lb axles. I'm loaded to about 8K for a heavy trip, so there should be plenty of weight capacity there. With 13% on the tongue, that's about 7K on the axles, or about 1750 lbs per tire. Granted there will be differences between each tire, but I can tell you with relative certainty that no one tire is loaded 600 lbs more than the others.

So I dunno. I was convinced that the failures were more common on the larger tires carrying close to their maximum loads, but that's not me, and I have a failure.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:04 PM   #27

where is the psi info located on the rims? I see nothing stamped or labeled on the rim, outside or inside.
Two Kayaks. Dagger for me, Old Town for Wife
Gary Fisher Mnt Bk for me, Trek for Wife
Retired U.S. Army in 1991
Life is Good!
LBL 1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:18 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBL 1206 View Post
where is the psi info located on the rims? I see nothing stamped or labeled on the rim, outside or inside.
May not have the max psi stamped, but should have the max weight at the minimum.... Our rim had it stamped on the "inside" (backside?) of the rim, not to far out from the spokes if I remember right. Max weight can be translated into max psi based on the tire rating, at least from what I have found. I think it is Dexter that states their rims have a max weight, and the rim will handle the psi needed for that weight based on the ST tires.

I forgot to check our tires before leaving the dealer as well.... Wife wanted to get out of there, which rushed things a little.....

Old 09-30-2015, 04:44 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBL 1206 View Post
I had to look it up on Dextar`s site when I upgraded. The OEM tires were 50PSI max and the new ones were 65 PSI. The steel rims were rated to 80 PSI so all was good with that.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:01 PM   #30
Site Team

I could not agree more with your assessment. Since changing my twice failed Marathon E rated ST tires to G614's, my anxiety level has gone way down on trips. Especially when it is hot.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 08:39 PM   #31

It was actually Carlisle's wheels I was thinking of regarding the weight rating/ max psi. They only rate their wheels by max weight, not max psi

Slight typo also on the Dexstar wheel! Lol Some reason I thought of Dexter, not Dexstar...

Old 10-02-2015, 04:45 PM   #32

Just compled a 2500 mile trip with my 2 year old 321 rlts. blew two Towmax tires on trip. Fortunatly no damage to rv. Spooky changing tires on the side of a city interstate. One would think that rv manufactures would insist that someone would make a quality camper tire. Just for liability if nothing else. I for one will never purchase another ST tire.
Papa Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:16 PM   #33

I guess I was very, very lucky with my 2008 date coded Chinabomb Marathons. Never even had a flat since '08. I did maintain TP religiously and the RV was never in the sun while stored. I finally put Maxxis on this year before I took the grandkids out camping and believe me, after what I have read about the failure rates on the old bombs, the first trip on the Maxxis was stress-free for me.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:12 PM   #34

I always think of tires as "Cheap Insurance". Thanks for all the posts, great info.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:46 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlawyo View Post
I always think of tires as "Cheap Insurance". Thanks for all the posts, great info.
It's been a great thread!!!!! Like anything else, some seem to be better (or lucky) than others regardless if it's tires, tv's, cars/ trucks, etc..... Lol

Old 10-03-2015, 03:06 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
It's been a great thread!!!!! Like anything else, some seem to be better (or lucky) than others regardless if it's tires, tv's, cars/ trucks, etc..... Lol

No kidding! I work with a guy who owns a 2000 trailer, never replaced tires until this last summer. Only goes camping once a year for a week up into the Bear Tooths. Luck ran out, just got off the switch backs on the Red Lodge side and blew an old tire. Had to limp into Red Lodge, everything was closed, spare was flat, so he dollied trailer down had to drive to Billings to find one tire.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:40 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlawyo View Post
No kidding! I work with a guy who owns a 2000 trailer, never replaced tires until this last summer. Only goes camping once a year for a week up into the Bear Tooths. Luck ran out, just got off the switch backs on the Red Lodge side and blew an old tire. Had to limp into Red Lodge, everything was closed, spare was flat, so he dollied trailer down had to drive to Billings to find one tire.
Amazing! His luck never did run out; he made it past the switchbacks. Imagine if the old tire blew part way down the mountain. By the way, my DW will NEVER agree to take our rig on the Beartooth Highway. It is a beautiful ride, but it even scares her in a car.
Homersimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:07 PM   #38

New guy here. Just curious where you all get your tires and who installs them?
rangerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:27 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerdoc View Post
New guy here. Just curious where you all get your tires and who installs them?

I use a local tire dealer that doesn't have room for the 5th wheel. i jack it up and take in 2 at a time for him to mount and balance. Not the greatest situation but I trust them and its not too much of a pain for me.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:06 PM   #40
Site Team

Find a tire dealer who can park a trailer while working on the tires.
I use a Goodyear Truck tire dealer who has space for me to pull in and do the work.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote