Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2017, 10:56 AM   #1

My Indiana RV Connection Experience

I'll say up front, that this isn't a dig at Jayco or their product. I've been happy with my fiver so far. This is all about Indiana RV Connection management...

I called Jayco to schedule some minor warranty work at the factory since we’d be in the area during our vacation. They were booked up until August, so they recommended we call Indiana RV Connection to see if they had availability during our visit. They did and I set up an appointment for a month out. I explained that we would be in the middle of a trip and just dropping off the trailer was not an option as we were staying in it. I was assured that they understood and would look at the scope of work, order parts and we’d bring the trailer back a few days later to get the work done. The parts came in and I was told to bring it in on Friday at 2:00 PM. I again restated that we could not drop the trailer off, but needed to wait while the work was done. She again assured me that was the plan. When I showed up for the appointment, the service tech handed me off to the GM. The GM said I’d have to leave the trailer or there was nothing he could do. I again explained that I was in the middle of a trip with 3 kids, 2 dogs and a wife, and leaving the trailer was not an option. I told him that I’d been assured multiple times that the work could be done in a couple hours while I waited. He said it was impossible and that they didn't do work while customers waited.

After I left the dealership, I stopped at the Jayco factory just down the road to let them know what kind of dealer support I was getting. The warranty supervisor was great and stepped in right away to call the dealership and find a resolution.

The dealership agreed to release the parts to me since I needed to move on and couldn’t continue to stay in the area. When I returned to get the parts, the GM couldn’t produce a couple of items. It was obvious that they had no intention of servicing my trailer at all. The GM had decided that prepping new trailers would take priority and my service appointment was not to be honored.

The repairs I needed were all relatively minor, with the exception of the bathroom vent cover that has been disintegrating due to a lack of UV inhibitor and is a known problem to Jayco. I’ve been caulking the cover as it continues to fail, but the day before the service appointment, it completely fell apart. I now have a trash bag duct taped over it and will be forced to buy a fan assembly and install it myself somewhere on the road.

I have never been treated so poorly by a business in my life. The GM at Indiana RV Connection obviously does not have a handle on running that business and displayed zero empathy about my experience or situation. I will never spend a dime at any Richardson RV property.
Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:05 AM   #2

Had the same experience with them a few years ago. Scheduled an appointment with them to get a few minor warranty issues fixed and told them I was going to wait while the work was done. When I showed up was told they would not be able to get to it that day also due to new sales prep. Had to leave the camper and go back three days later to pick it up.

2011 Jayflight X213
2011 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
fochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fochman View Post
Had the same experience with them a few years ago. Scheduled an appointment with them to get a few minor warranty issues fixed and told them I was going to wait while the work was done. When I showed up was told they would not be able to get to it that day also due to new sales prep. Had to leave the camper and go back three days later to pick it up.
I had the impression that this is a common occurrence with these guys. Had they just been up front with me, I could have found a different place. As it was, I wasted time and money hanging around waiting for service that wasn't going to happen. If nothing else, I just hope Jayco stops referring people to them for warranty work.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berg View Post
I had the impression that this is a common occurrence with these guys. Had they just been up front with me, I could have found a different place. As it was, I wasted time and money hanging around waiting for service that wasn't going to happen. If nothing else, I just hope Jayco stops referring people to them for warranty work.
My experience with them May 2013 went a little different. On pickup day for our new 2014 W Hawk a problem was found with the power awning that they were unable to fix. They had to get a replacement from the factory. This was the first 2014 they didn't have one in stock to install. As luck would have it I had struck up a conversation with a nice gentleman while I was waiting for them to attempt the fix. When the need for a replacement was determined, this same gentleman [last name was Richardson] arranged to put me up in a nice Motel nearby and also pay for dinner. He promised that the awning would be at the dealership and they would installed it first thing and for me to come back around 9:30. Had a nice dinner and a relaxing night and when I arrived at the prescribed time my shiny W Hawk was ready for a final walk thru and then I was on my way.

Mr Richardson happened to be East for a family matter and stopped by the Middlebury location on his way back to California. He gave me his personal email and phone number and said to contact him if I had any problems. A problem did come up on a warrenty item that they were dragging their feet on getting shipped directly to me. After a couple followups with no results, I contacted Mr Richardson and I got a call the same afternoon that the part, a replacement rocking chair, was on its way. Nice to have access to the Boss.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
My experience with them May 2013 went a little different. On pickup day for our new 2014 W Hawk a problem was found with the power awning that they were unable to fix. They had to get a replacement from the factory. This was the first 2014 they didn't have one in stock to install. As luck would have it I had struck up a conversation with a nice gentleman while I was waiting for them to attempt the fix. When the need for a replacement was determined, this same gentleman [last name was Richardson] arranged to put me up in a nice Motel nearby and also pay for dinner. He promised that the awning would be at the dealership and they would installed it first thing and for me to come back around 9:30. Had a nice dinner and a relaxing night and when I arrived at the prescribed time my shiny W Hawk was ready for a final walk thru and then I was on my way.

Mr Richardson happened to be East for a family matter and stopped by the Middlebury location on his way back to California. He gave me his personal email and phone number and said to contact him if I had any problems. A problem did come up on a warrenty item that they were dragging their feet on getting shipped directly to me. After a couple followups with no results, I contacted Mr Richardson and I got a call the same afternoon that the part, a replacement rocking chair, was on its way. Nice to have access to the Boss.
Now that is excellent customer service. I wish Mr Richardson's son (The GM I had to deal with) had learned a thing or two from his dad...

Of course, I wasn't buying a trailer from them, just lowly warranty work, so my needs rank somewhere lower than sweeping the parking lot...
Old 05-02-2017, 11:48 PM   #6

Last year I was picking up my trailer at Indiana RV Connection. They did not want to install ProPride hitch, so agreed to tow the trailer to a hitch shop 30 mins away. Turned out the the guy who brought the trailer to the shop did not get the keys to the trailer, I did not get them during PDI. I called the dealership, a conversation with a rep did not solve the issue. Called GM, this also did not solve the issue - he offered to send the keys to my home in California. This is about their empathy - a guy picking up a closed trailer in Indiana, 2,200 away from home and they offer to send the keys to California.

I just sent a guy from the hitch shop and paid for the ride to pick up the keys.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:00 AM   #7

The experience I described is 100% accurate, but I need to add to it. My experience after the fact left me feeling the same as others on this thread. They wanted me to come back to pick up the chair 900miles round trip or they would have the factory send it to a dealer nearer my home [180 miles roundtrip]. They had to hate the fact that I had the bosses contact info and wasn't afraid to use it. It surprises me that the after sale service is so lacking given the pro customer attitude displayed by the big Boss.

Would I buy from them again? In a heart beat I would go back since they offered the best purchase deal by far. I am not a "go back to the dealer for repairs" kind of guy. My 2014 was back to a dealer [the one 90 miles from home] to have a list of warrantee items taken care of at the end of the 2 year period for the first and last time. I fix things myself or find a closer rv shop which I have never needed.

RV Connections is a high volume sales dealership and is not set up nor do they have a focus on post sales servicing. I'm sure that Jayco is well aware of this and either doesn't care or just looks the other way given the volume of units that are sold thru this dealership 2 1/2 miles from the factory and the thousands of units delivered to their west coast locations.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
The experience I described is 100% accurate, but I need to add to it. My experience after the fact left me feeling the same as others on this thread. They wanted me to come back to pick up the chair 900miles round trip or they would have the factory send it to a dealer nearer my home [180 miles roundtrip]. They had to hate the fact that I had the bosses contact info and wasn't afraid to use it. It surprises me that the after sale service is so lacking given the pro customer attitude displayed by the big Boss.

Would I buy from them again? In a heart beat I would go back since they offered the best purchase deal by far. I am not a "go back to the dealer for repairs" kind of guy. My 2014 was back to a dealer [the one 90 miles from home] to have a list of warrantee items taken care of at the end of the 2 year period for the first and last time. I fix things myself or find a closer rv shop which I have never needed.

RV Connections is a high volume sales dealership and is not set up nor do they have a focus on post sales servicing. I'm sure that Jayco is well aware of this and either doesn't care or just looks the other way given the volume of units that are sold thru this dealership 2 1/2 miles from the factory and the thousands of units delivered to their west coast locations.
Unfortunately, many things are "lost" in the middle management of companies. Shows like Undercover Boss are a prime example. Mr. Richardson may be a great guy and truly care about his customers, but those lower in the food chain care only about meeting/exceeding the magic number of units sold/moved/etc.

We may be in the market to upgrade soon, but no way would I buy from a Richardson property based on my experience. I'd pay more just to avoid a repeat of my experience if I needed something fixed.

I'm the same when it comes to just fixing things myself, but the radio/DVD player, TV, bathroom exhaust fan and slide controller all needed to be replaced. I'm not paying for that out of pocket on a unit under warranty.