Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2016, 04:21 PM   #1

Need advice about Eagle Roof

We're in Indiana today and did our PDI on a 2017 Eagle HT 27.5RLTS that we ordered from Jayco. My husband went on the roof and found ripples around several penetrations on the roof (AC's, antenna and a few other places.) and large bubbles in the lap sealant itself. Called Jayco CS and they said they're using a new sealer that's stiffer and that this is normal and to have the dealer note it on our PDI papers.

From reading several forums and facebook groups, this is not okay. We're reading stories of entire roofs having to be replaced. The dealer said this was normal, but then sent someone up to pop the bubbles in the lap sealant and reseal them.

This is our first RV and we don't know what to think or do. We've driven from TN to IN to pick this up. If anyone has any suggestions or advice, we'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

The large bubbles in this photo, can be seen in the lap sealant. The ripples can be seen, just after the large bubble on the edge, and are running out to the left from under the lap sealant and keep going up in the picture.

Campin'_Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:28 PM   #2

I have the same looking sealant on my 2016, but I don't have any bubbles in it. Those bubbles don't look right to me. I'm having trouble seein the ripples in the roof
Old 08-30-2016, 04:32 PM   #3

Sorry and thank you for the reply. The pictures aren't the greatest as it was overcast and starting to rain. Here's another picture. In the circled area, you can see a faint shadow running along the edge of each ripple. DH said they are anywhere from 2" - 8" long.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:38 PM   #4

I can see that now..did Jayco CS see the pictures? How big are those bubbles? Is that the only place on the roof with them? The ripples don't look too bad to me in the pic. If it were me, I'd have them make it right before taking delivery.

EDIT: I just saw where you said they fixed the bubbles.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:27 PM   #5
Dan

I don't think the ripples are a deal breaker as I have small ones in my roof as well. As for the bubbles, if the dealer popped and resealed then it shouldn't be an issue. Heck, if an rv owner is doing his/her due diligence and checking the roof every couple months, there's going to be sealant added quite a few times over the course of ownership. Just my opinion.

2013 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L CTD DRW CCLB
2015 White Hawk 28DSBH (trade-in)
2015 Eagle 355MBQS (trade-in)
2019 Jay Flight 29BHDB
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:28 PM   #6

Jloco, no, Jayco CS has not seen the pix yet, but our hotel is right next door to them and we are headed there in the morning.

The bubbles are about the size of quarters. The ripples are around the AC's, the antenna and some other places.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:33 PM   #7

Dan, thanks. I'm also asking on a Jayco facebook page and several people are saying not to take delivery. One woman had to have her entire roof replaced right after they bought it because of the ripples. Others are saying they will start leaking. Not something you want to hear when this much money is involved.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin'_Nana View Post
Dan, thanks. I'm also asking on a Jayco facebook page and several people are saying not to take delivery. One woman had to have her entire roof replaced right after they bought it because of the ripples. Others are saying they will start leaking. Not something you want to hear when this much money is involved.
I saw that on FB. She said yours look worse than hers, but the ripples I see in your pic in no way seem as bad as hers in the pics she posted. I agree with Dan in that the sealant is a maintenance item.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:48 PM   #9

I was thinking ours didn't look as bad as hers either.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:26 PM   #10

I have a few small ripples in my roof, but I wouldn't accept the bubbles.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:23 PM   #11

Those two items would not stop me from buying the camper...but that's just me. I installed a new FantasticFan in my roof and the Dicor sealant caused some ripples in the roof membrane (the instructions on the Dicor tube said that would happen).

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:05 PM   #12

~Update~

Ok, so this morning we went straight to Jayco. They took us into the Jayco factory and up on an observation deck above the 5er's to see the roofs being made. All the roofs inside the factory were smooth as a ribbon. Outside there was a row of 5er's that had just been either pulled out of the factory and some that had been there awhile. Some had no rippling and others had some, like ours. It seems that after they start to dry, some rippling may occur. We were shown and told about a new roofing material that is stiffer to deal with and a little harder to smooth out. It seems that while trying to pull it down into these spaces around the AC's, etc. it is more taut there than on other parts of the roof. Still wasn't 100% satisfied, though, as you wonder if people are blowing smoke.

We spoke with 2 different Jayco repair places near home and they essentially told us the same thing as Jayco. One woman even forwarded our pix to her Jayco rep and then called him. She was also assured it was normal and not a problem. She was very knowledgeable and they were actually in the middle of a complete roof overhaul right now. She was of the opinion that we would have no problems.

After talking to several RV repair and RV roofing people by phone, on forums and on RV fb pages, we are satisfied that things will be ok. This thing may turn out to be the biggest lemon out there, but we don't have a crystal ball, and no one can ever know for sure. We've decided to purchase it.

I have to say that Jayco was awesome today. I have called them probably a dozen times in the last 3 weeks. (Between the delivery proble, the dinette fiasco and this roof thing.) I'm on a first name basis with the switchboard operator and met her in person today. LOL Our dealer's Jayco rep actually left his office and work today and drove us to the plant himself to see the roofs made, took us through there and then to see the CS Manager. Really, how many factories will just take you inside, outside of a tour, and show you things up close to ease your mind? It really did give me a good feeling about Jayco.

So, thank you so much to everyone here for your help. It is so nice to have somewhere to go to get help.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:46 PM   #13

That's awesome. I think you'll be fine. You can't get a better explanation than you did, plus it's all documented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-31-2016, 07:17 PM   #14

My roof looked just like yours within the first year.
The bubbles on mine were directly over the screws.
I just popped them, pushed them into the void, and lap sealed over them.
No problems so far. I keep a good eye on the roof.

The ripples aren't a problem.
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:55 PM   #15

I would not accept! Bought my Eagle September 2015, factory is still stalling on repair!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
I would not accept! Bought my Eagle September 2015, factory is still stalling on repair!
bdreinv, You had similar roof repairs?