Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2016, 04:21 PM   #1

Need advice about Eagle Roof

We're in Indiana today and did our PDI on a 2017 Eagle HT 27.5RLTS that we ordered from Jayco. My husband went on the roof and found ripples around several penetrations on the roof (AC's, antenna and a few other places.) and large bubbles in the lap sealant itself. Called Jayco CS and they said they're using a new sealer that's stiffer and that this is normal and to have the dealer note it on our PDI papers.

From reading several forums and facebook groups, this is not okay. We're reading stories of entire roofs having to be replaced. The dealer said this was normal, but then sent someone up to pop the bubbles in the lap sealant and reseal them.

This is our first RV and we don't know what to think or do. We've driven from TN to IN to pick this up. If anyone has any suggestions or advice, we'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

The large bubbles in this photo, can be seen in the lap sealant. The ripples can be seen, just after the large bubble on the edge, and are running out to the left from under the lap sealant and keep going up in the picture.

Campin'_Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:28 PM   #2

I have the same looking sealant on my 2016, but I don't have any bubbles in it. Those bubbles don't look right to me. I'm having trouble seein the ripples in the roof

Old 08-30-2016, 04:32 PM   #3

Sorry and thank you for the reply. The pictures aren't the greatest as it was overcast and starting to rain. Here's another picture. In the circled area, you can see a faint shadow running along the edge of each ripple. DH said they are anywhere from 2" - 8" long.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:38 PM   #4

I can see that now..did Jayco CS see the pictures? How big are those bubbles? Is that the only place on the roof with them? The ripples don't look too bad to me in the pic. If it were me, I'd have them make it right before taking delivery.

EDIT: I just saw where you said they fixed the bubbles.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:27 PM   #5
Dan

I don't think the ripples are a deal breaker as I have small ones in my roof as well. As for the bubbles, if the dealer popped and resealed then it shouldn't be an issue. Heck, if an rv owner is doing his/her due diligence and checking the roof every couple months, there's going to be sealant added quite a few times over the course of ownership. Just my opinion.

2013 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L CTD DRW CCLB
2015 Eagle 355MBQS
B&W Companion Hitch
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:28 PM   #6

Jloco, no, Jayco CS has not seen the pix yet, but our hotel is right next door to them and we are headed there in the morning.

The bubbles are about the size of quarters. The ripples are around the AC's, the antenna and some other places.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:33 PM   #7

Dan, thanks. I'm also asking on a Jayco facebook page and several people are saying not to take delivery. One woman had to have her entire roof replaced right after they bought it because of the ripples. Others are saying they will start leaking. Not something you want to hear when this much money is involved.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin'_Nana View Post
Dan, thanks. I'm also asking on a Jayco facebook page and several people are saying not to take delivery. One woman had to have her entire roof replaced right after they bought it because of the ripples. Others are saying they will start leaking. Not something you want to hear when this much money is involved.
I saw that on FB. She said yours look worse than hers, but the ripples I see in your pic in no way seem as bad as hers in the pics she posted. I agree with Dan in that the sealant is a maintenance item.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:48 PM   #9

I was thinking ours didn't look as bad as hers either.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:26 PM   #10

I have a few small ripples in my roof, but I wouldn't accept the bubbles.

2016 Jayco 28BHBE - Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C

Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote