Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-13-2016, 11:35 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Central
Posts: 4
Need Advice on Delayed Order

We ordered a Jay Feather 7 23RD in July and were told it would be delivered in 8-10 weeks (we were expecting pick up this week or next).

Dealer just e-mailed saying Jayco has pushed it now to AT LEAST the beginning of November. Our option is to take delivery whenever it comes- after camping season for us, so basically pick up camper, store it for winter, trial run it in the spring (wasting all those months of warranty)... OR, option #2: cancel this order, re-order mid winter and hope for spring delivery. Dealer has cautioned us that we will (of course) lost trade in value of our current camper (currently $1500, so not a great loss) AND pay whatever the higher cost will be to re-order.

What would you do??
__________________

HikeCampRepeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:26 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
John7349's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Fairview, Oregon
Posts: 171
If you think you paid a decent price, I would not disturb the deal. Weather permitting, you can still camp locally and check out the unit for defects, if any, and still have time to have your dealer repair them before next season.
__________________

__________________
John & Pam Moore
Fairview, Oregon
2017 Jayco 321RSTS
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:38 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Cortland
Posts: 14
I would talk to the dealer about it. See if they can hang on to it until spring. Maybe a little more money down or maybe pay for it in full but don't take delivery until the spring. I did this a few years ago on a boat and it worked out great, the warranty did not start until I took delivery.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mark.nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:32 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Worcester
Posts: 627
If you're not so worried about the trade in, you could cancel, hold off, and reorder later in the winter. Or ask the dealer to hold the rig on order until spring. If you reorder mid winter it will still be a model 2017, so I don't think the price will change, unless your dealer lessens the discount.
I ordered my rig last November. It arrived at the dealership in January at which time I did a quick inspection (not PDI as it was winterized) and paid for it. The dealer held it until late April at which time we did a full PDI. It was delivered to me and the warranty started.
__________________
2016 Jay Flight 38FDDS
jloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:34 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Denver
Posts: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.nowak View Post
I would talk to the dealer about it. See if they can hang on to it until spring. Maybe a little more money down or maybe pay for it in full but don't take delivery until the spring. I did this a few years ago on a boat and it worked out great, the warranty did not start until I took delivery.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like that idea myself. I wouldn't take delivery when the 'pink stuff' is mandatory. I imagine you have a deposit on the table at this point. If you have no plans to winter camp, let them sit on it till April.
__________________
2016 27BHS Elite
2012 F-150 EcoBoost / Max Tow
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:40 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: WNY
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.nowak View Post
I would talk to the dealer about it. See if they can hang on to it until spring. Maybe a little more money down or maybe pay for it in full but don't take delivery until the spring. I did this a few years ago on a boat and it worked out great, the warranty did not start until I took delivery.
X2 - agree with this approach.

However, if you do this, make sure the dealer is strong and will still be in business in the spring.
We once took delivery of a trailer in October and the dealer offered us this option (i.e., he would store it for us through the winter, we take delivery in the spring and the warranty would start at time of delivery).
We opted not to do it because the dealer was ~2hrs away.
Lucky we didn't because the dealer when out of business a few months after we bought the trailer.
__________________
2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 361REQS
2014 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4 CC D/A
ROC-REQS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:39 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: MD
Posts: 2,178
I'd take delivery whenever it comes in, because there is no telling when you'll get it when you re-order mid-winter. I'd also opt to store it myself unless the dealer is going to keep it inside. I can and would keep a better eye on it than the dealer. Besides who says you can't camp later in the year? We spent two weeks in FL in January of 2014 and spent almost 2 weeks in SC this past November. Just get it and use it, even if it's just in the driveway, backyard, etc...
__________________
2017 JayFlight 28BHBE
2014 JayFlight Swift 264BH (Sold)
2007 GMC 2500 Sierra Classic Crew Cab LBZ Duramax / 6spd Allison
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:21 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Herkimer County
Posts: 28
If you ordered it specific to your liking, then cancelling the order will put you at the back of the line for ordering again. Giving that dealers are probably placing larger orders to be stocked for spring, it may be even a longer wait.

Try to turn this to your advantage....... Use your camper till end of the season, then ask that the dealer winterize and store your RV as it was to be theirs anyway. Let them know you did not plan to winterize the unit, nor did you plan on futzing with the new one in the dead of winter. Tell them you would like to take delivery in the spring. Depending on how you are paying for the new one, you could offer to put additional funds down when it arrives in the winter and pay in full in the spring. That would seem reasonable to me. Good Luck.
aardvarkjff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:57 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Carlisle
Posts: 34
We ordered our rig at the Hershey PA show in September 2015. It came in the beginning of December. The dealer stored it with only the down payment till the middle of March. We drove 3 hours to the dealer to do our PDI and pay off the trailer. Dealer had it delivered to our seasonal site on April 1 and picked up our trade in. Our warranty did not start until delivery day.
__________________

__________________
Perry & Connie
2016 Jayflight 32 BHDS
Elite, Thermal package
Seasonal campers - no towing
BeenCamping40+Years is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.