Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-13-2016, 10:35 AM   #1

Need Advice on Delayed Order

We ordered a Jay Feather 7 23RD in July and were told it would be delivered in 8-10 weeks (we were expecting pick up this week or next).

Dealer just e-mailed saying Jayco has pushed it now to AT LEAST the beginning of November. Our option is to take delivery whenever it comes- after camping season for us, so basically pick up camper, store it for winter, trial run it in the spring (wasting all those months of warranty)... OR, option #2: cancel this order, re-order mid winter and hope for spring delivery. Dealer has cautioned us that we will (of course) lost trade in value of our current camper (currently $1500, so not a great loss) AND pay whatever the higher cost will be to re-order.

What would you do??
HikeCampRepeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:26 AM   #2

If you think you paid a decent price, I would not disturb the deal. Weather permitting, you can still camp locally and check out the unit for defects, if any, and still have time to have your dealer repair them before next season.
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:38 AM   #3

I would talk to the dealer about it. See if they can hang on to it until spring. Maybe a little more money down or maybe pay for it in full but don't take delivery until the spring. I did this a few years ago on a boat and it worked out great, the warranty did not start until I took delivery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mark.nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:32 PM   #4

If you're not so worried about the trade in, you could cancel, hold off, and reorder later in the winter. Or ask the dealer to hold the rig on order until spring. If you reorder mid winter it will still be a model 2017, so I don't think the price will change, unless your dealer lessens the discount.
I ordered my rig last November. It arrived at the dealership in January at which time I did a quick inspection (not PDI as it was winterized) and paid for it. The dealer held it until late April at which time we did a full PDI. It was delivered to me and the warranty started.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.nowak View Post
I would talk to the dealer about it. See if they can hang on to it until spring. Maybe a little more money down or maybe pay for it in full but don't take delivery until the spring. I did this a few years ago on a boat and it worked out great, the warranty did not start until I took delivery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like that idea myself. I wouldn't take delivery when the 'pink stuff' is mandatory. I imagine you have a deposit on the table at this point. If you have no plans to winter camp, let them sit on it till April.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.nowak View Post
X2 - agree with this approach.

However, if you do this, make sure the dealer is strong and will still be in business in the spring.
We once took delivery of a trailer in October and the dealer offered us this option (i.e., he would store it for us through the winter, we take delivery in the spring and the warranty would start at time of delivery).
We opted not to do it because the dealer was ~2hrs away.
Lucky we didn't because the dealer when out of business a few months after we bought the trailer.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:39 PM   #7

I'd take delivery whenever it comes in, because there is no telling when you'll get it when you re-order mid-winter. I'd also opt to store it myself unless the dealer is going to keep it inside. I can and would keep a better eye on it than the dealer. Besides who says you can't camp later in the year? We spent two weeks in FL in January of 2014 and spent almost 2 weeks in SC this past November. Just get it and use it, even if it's just in the driveway, backyard, etc...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:21 PM   #8

If you ordered it specific to your liking, then cancelling the order will put you at the back of the line for ordering again. Giving that dealers are probably placing larger orders to be stocked for spring, it may be even a longer wait.

Try to turn this to your advantage....... Use your camper till end of the season, then ask that the dealer winterize and store your RV as it was to be theirs anyway. Let them know you did not plan to winterize the unit, nor did you plan on futzing with the new one in the dead of winter. Tell them you would like to take delivery in the spring. Depending on how you are paying for the new one, you could offer to put additional funds down when it arrives in the winter and pay in full in the spring. That would seem reasonable to me. Good Luck.
Aardvarkjff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:57 PM   #9

We ordered our rig at the Hershey PA show in September 2015. It came in the beginning of December. The dealer stored it with only the down payment till the middle of March. We drove 3 hours to the dealer to do our PDI and pay off the trailer. Dealer had it delivered to our seasonal site on April 1 and picked up our trade in. Our warranty did not start until delivery day.
Seasonal campers - no towing
BeenCamping40+Years is offline   Reply With Quote