Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-21-2015, 10:21 AM   #1

Need info on camping with a cat in hot weather

Hello friends,

This summer we will be camping in some pretty hot weather, Utah, Northern Arizona. Quite a change from Canada.

We want to boondock as much as we can, and we have a cat.

What tricks are there to keep the trailer from getting too hot when we are away for a few hours hiking, or doing other things. Fans? Reflective tape on windows? I simply don't know how hot the trailer will even get, as we have never had it in 100 degree heat.

We have a generator, and of course will use it when we are at the trailer, but would not leave the trailer for the day and leave it on.

Is this doable for the cat?

Thanks in advance.

Ensign
Yamaha EF3000iseb generator
Renogy 100 Watt Solar Suitcase
ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 12:07 PM   #2

I would leave the cat at home I know that's not what you had in mind but in that high heat with all the windows open it's still hotter than hell inside without the AC on. I take it your cat has only known cool or just warm weather. Our friends from Sacramento leave their cat home because the Vet said so and the cat is just 4-5 years old.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:02 PM   #3

Collapsible Cage

You might consider putting your cat in a large collapsible cage while you are away. Place it in as shady a location as possible and provide plenty of water. Even if it's very hot outside it won't be nearly as hot as the inside of your trailer. However, this may not be an option if there are large predators in the area.

If you decide to try this, it may be a good idea to start getting your cat used to the cage before your trip.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:17 PM   #4

yea, not a good idea. It gets way too hot in there for an animal in the locations you are talking about, even with windows open and fans running. I would be cautious in those locations even with electrical hook ups and air conditioning running. Sometimes power is not that reliable at RV Parks.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:26 AM   #5

The easiest way to answer this question is to ask yourself how comfortable you would be in a TT during the day without A/C. Then replace yourself with the pet.

If you are uncomfortable, then so shall the pet be.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:43 PM   #6

Agree with Bucko. It's not feasible to have a pet in non-air conditioned environments in the heat, especially in what is essentially a tin can in the sun. There is a good chance your pet could die from heat stroke. Even if you placed the pet outside in a cage in the shade as suggested by another poster, it would possibly be too hot and if your cat is anything like mine, they would spend the day terrified since they are A) in a cage and B) in a cage in a place that they are unfamiliar with.

We don't even take our cats with us when we have access to electricity and air conditioning, because I am fearful that something will happen and the air conditioning will fail. I am glad that I am so cautious because last summer, we went on a day trip in high temps and when we returned, the breaker had tripped and the air was off. If our cats had been with us, it would have been awful for them. They're my furry kids, and I take their safety very seriously.
mspontiac is offline   Reply With Quote