Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-07-2016, 11:17 AM   #1

Need some help!!! About to purchase a 2014 267BH Jayco Flight

Hello everyone.

Just hoping to get some helpful information before signing on the dotted line. This will be our first TT purchase ever. Upgrading from being tent campers. Have a 2014 Jayco 267BH waiting for us to purchase when in comes in. Want to know what the average cost is for something that is 2 years old. Also what are the things that we need to look for and have done with this trailer before we decide to drive it off the lot. I have read posts about calking roofs, ect. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!!!!
happycamper22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:35 PM   #2
Site Team

Not knowing what this unit has for options/equipment, you can google NADA RV, and enter the Jayco, travel Trailer, and year. This will bring up a list of equipment and options to check off. If you aren't sure of something, leave it blank. This will give you an idea of it's book price. When looking at the trailer in person, look at everything inside, outside, and the roof. If something doesn't look right, ask questions. We look at everything twice, even on a brand new unit. The current TT had four (albeit minor) issues we had the dealer repair/replace. If everything works as it should, then continue. Good luck, I hope this helped a little.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:38 PM   #3

Check EVERYTHING all appliances, a/c, heat, water heater (elec&gas) cabinet doors,drawers, windows, battery(s), latches, & locks. Have them show you how to operated everything, where the manual operation openings are (slides) manual jacks if they are automatic, spare tire and how to get it down. ( mines under and there is a hole to put the crank handle in) You get the idea nothing off limits, manuals and service records if they have them. Welcome and good luck with the purchase
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:43 PM   #4

Welcome and congrats on the future tt!!!

As for price, it really seems to vary a little based on area, And of course, condition. Guess the first question is, what is the price for the 267? WHat seems to happen a lot, is a fair amount of new buyers of rv's don't get the as good of a deal as they could. There is a learning curve. Then the extended warranty is added on, and the rv is financed for as long as possible. The result being a 2-5 year old rv is almost as much as what one may be able to buy a brand new rig for with the right deal. When we were shopping, I found some comparable (if no the same model) trailers as our's for only $2-4K less than we got ours for. Brand new, a good price is about 30% off msrp (based on Jayco's website).

I am sure there are many more knowledgable here (and will be along soon) concerning buying used, but I would guess close to 50% off msrp (of current model) would be a decent staring point.

Check all appliances, water pump, faucets, etc... Look for any signs of water damage along all walls, starting at the floor up to the ceiling. Check the roof. All drawers/ cabinet doors/ shelves/ etc... Basicaly everything from the coupler (tongue) to the rear bumper.

Also check the tires!!!! Trailer tires do not age that well due to all the sitting they do. It is suggested to replace trailer tires 3-5yrs.

Not sure what you have for a tv (tow vehicle), but verify you are within all the specs of the truck/ suv. Make sure you get a good wdh (weight distribution hitch) with integrated sway control. Reese Dual Cam, Reese SC, and the Equal-I-Zer 4 way system are all very good for the money. The Dual Cam is a little more finicky setting up than the other 2. The Reese hitch head (both the DC and SC) allow for a little more fine tuning in regards to the wd bar adjustment. And even though the dealer (if buying at a dealer or the previous owner) will set up (or already set up) the wdh, chances are you will need to re-adjust it once you load the trailer uo for a trip. Here is a link to wdh set up and how a wdh works.

Good luck!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:52 PM   #5

Congratulations on the future of sleeping at a higher level and welcome to the JOF.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:54 PM   #6

the nada price is ball park and subjective to the market area. Imo, the nada prices are over inflated in most cases but it's a good starting point. I would also scour the web and try to find used ones listed for sale at dealers as well as Craigslist to see what they're actually going for.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:07 PM   #7

In my experience NADA is almost always too high. If you pay NADA you got taken.

First off a 2014 is very nearly 3 model years old. In the next 10 weeks or so new units will be model year 2017. RV model year change much much early than what we have all learned fron the automotive industry.

A new unit can be purchase for 25-30% off MSRP pretty easily. If I was buying a 2-3 year old TT, and I did in Feb 2014, I would expect at least 50% off original MSRP if the unit was exceptional with all the documentation. The unit I bought as a result of a divorce. The owner had all the manuals, OEM equipment & Jayco's nicely organized in a folder. Also in that folder was the service document from the single warranty claim they had as well as the original build sheet from Jayco. That build sheet showed MSRP of $32k + additional $2k for initial delivery. I paid $16k -- hope this helps you.

By the way, this was my second purchase, so I was comfortable with making my own inspections (especially roof and seals). If you are not I highly suggest bringing a friend who can help.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:31 PM   #8

Go to the Jayco web site (one of the nice things about Jayco is you can get a an MSRP). You can select the 2015 model trailers, which should get you close enough. Then look up the model(s)/options that are closest to what you are planning to buy. I just looked and it appears the MSRP ranges from about 23000 - 33000 for trailers similar to the model you are looking at, not including shipping charges which are usually $1-2K.
Figure MSRP-30% = purchase price. Then take off some more for being used. I would guesstimate MSRP-50%, but depending on condition it might be more or less.
Regarding inspection...water is the killer for trailers. Have someone with a good sense of smell with you. If you smell any mold/mustiness, be on guard. You must look at every nook and cranny, every water tube you can find, every roof seam, every edge where the walls, floor, roof meet. Remember, if you find something, it is likely WORSE than you are seeing. Personally, I would require/have a leak test performed.
Don't less this scare you too much. Buying a used trailer can really save you a bundle of money. But you will not have a warranty, so any damage/repairs are going to be out of your pocket.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:01 PM   #9

Welcome! Agree with all the suggestions posted above
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:24 PM   #10

Welcome aboard and got luck with your purchase.
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:18 PM   #11

Thanks for the input...We actually have tentative deal for 14,500(NY) but they are giving us complete towing package and air brake for our truck. Will be asking for them to also supply mirror extenders and vent covers. We have shopped around and comparing same type of TT (different makers) but no one seems to be coming close on price or doesn't want to give us tow package. With that...... being new to this we get conflicting advise on if we do or do not need a sway bar if we have weight distribution hitch. Is this true? All advise is great!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Welcome and congrats on the future tt!!!

As for price, it really seems to vary a little based on area, And of course, condition. Guess the first question is, what is the price for the 267? WHat seems to happen a lot, is a fair amount of new buyers of rv's don't get the as good of a deal as they could. There is a learning curve. Then the extended warranty is added on, and the rv is financed for as long as possible. The result being a 2-5 year old rv is almost as much as what one may be able to buy a brand new rig for with the right deal. When we were shopping, I found some comparable (if no the same model) trailers as our's for only $2-4K less than we got ours for. Brand new, a good price is about 30% off msrp (based on Jayco's website).

I am sure there are many more knowledgable here (and will be along soon) concerning buying used, but I would guess close to 50% off msrp (of current model) would be a decent staring point.

Check all appliances, water pump, faucets, etc... Look for any signs of water damage along all walls, starting at the floor up to the ceiling. Check the roof. All drawers/ cabinet doors/ shelves/ etc... Basicaly everything from the coupler (tongue) to the rear bumper.

Also check the tires!!!! Trailer tires do not age that well due to all the sitting they do. It is suggested to replace trailer tires 3-5yrs.

Not sure what you have for a tv (tow vehicle), but verify you are within all the specs of the truck/ suv. Make sure you get a good wdh (weight distribution hitch) with integrated sway control. Reese Dual Cam, Reese SC, and the Equal-I-Zer 4 way system are all very good for the money. The Dual Cam is a little more finicky setting up than the other 2. The Reese hitch head (both the DC and SC) allow for a little more fine tuning in regards to the wd bar adjustment. And even though the dealer (if buying at a dealer or the previous owner) will set up (or already set up) the wdh, chances are you will need to re-adjust it once you load the trailer uo for a trip. Here is a link to wdh set up and how a wdh works.

Good luck!!!
happycamper22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:57 PM   #12

As a reference, I'm looking at the 2016 264bhw and KeystoneRV is quoting me $14,500 out the door. This includes a blue ox wds.
gocarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:00 PM   #13

Happy,

A basic weight distribution hitch will not control sway if it starts to happen. Ask the salesman what brand and model wdh they are including. If it does not have sway control, chances are it would be a good idea to at least have a side mounted swag bar. If it is a wdh that has an integrated sway control, then you do not need anything additional.

Read the links, starting with how a wdh works. Very helpful to understand if you are not familiar with a wdh. Quick summary: when you place the trailer coupler on the ball and retract the jack, the tv front axle will loose weight due to the teeter totter effect. When you "latch up" the wd bars, it will return weight back to the front axle. The amount of weight returned to the front axle depends on how the wdh is adjusted, and having the correct size wd bars.

What are you going to be towing with (tv- tow vehicle)?

It is an electric brake controller, not air brake, just a fyi.

Sounds like a decent price, pending the condition of the trailer and everything working. Though it sounds like a great price that gocarp is getting. Can't hurt to compare.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote