Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-25-2016, 08:42 AM   #1

Need to replace tires... Looking for advicd

Hey everyone,

I'm approaching our 2nd camping season as a hybrid TT owner (2007 23b) so I still consider myself a newbie. We pulled the HTT from the yard to the driveway and noticed 2 tires (one on each side) are totally flat.

1) I'd rather replace them all just so I know they're good and I can monitor their age and quality. Recommendations on a brand?

2) My plan is to take the wheels off the trailer (maybe one side at a time)... And have the new tires mounted down at Town Fair Tire... Then put them back on the trailer. Any better ideas? I can't imagine towing the whole camper somewhere...

3) (possibly stupid question) Should I buy 5 tires so I can replace the spare? I have no clue how old the spare currently is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SomersIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:20 AM   #2

As long as you are in the mood, why not replace all 5? Starting fresh, and you can keep track. I would only advise to buy tires specific to trailers. They tend to track straighter than automobile tires, and are usually offered in a load rating to carry heavy trailers without overheating. What you don't want is a blowout due to overloaded or underinflated tires.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:36 AM   #3

Hi SomerIsles-

Your tires are a very important part of your travels to insure the safety of you and your family. Go with the best trailer tires you can afford. On this forum there are many opinions about which brand is best so read thru all this (do a tire search) and come to your own conclusion. I replaced mine this year even tho they were only a year old....they were Towmax brand and I read a lot of negative comments about "BLOWMAX". Eventually, after a lot of research, I ordered 4 Maxxis 8008 ST tires from Discount Tire. Had them installed at a local tire shop. Very satisfied and I moved up one grade also. Good luck.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:05 PM   #4

Thanks for the tips!

By the way, since I can't tow the trailer to get the tires put on at the tire shop.... will I regret not having the option of them being able to balance the tires? (I'm assuming you can't do that without the entire trailer... right?)
Old 04-25-2016, 10:41 PM   #5

SomersIsles; You can do a search on the forum and i think you will find most people don't get trailer tires balanced. Its a debatable point. I spoke with my dealer and he said they don't require balancing

2016 F350 PSD
2010 Jayco 30.5 RLS
Bearles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:35 AM   #6

For balancing I added some tyre beads in mine. Look them up on Amazon they are pretty cheap.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:32 AM   #7
Site Team

have always balanced mine. If not for tire wear then for reduction of vibrations on the camper.
I am amazed at how much counter weight it takes to balance them.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomersIsles View Post
Thanks for the tips!

By the way, since I can't tow the trailer to get the tires put on at the tire shop.... will I regret not having the option of them being able to balance the tires? (I'm assuming you can't do that without the entire trailer... right?)
They can spin balance your tires off the trailer. I had my trailer tires balanced when I replaced mine last year. The cost was minimal for balancing. Trailer tires are not inherently balanced as they are made any better than car tires. Although you won't be riding in the trailer, balancing will cut down the vibration caused by out of balance tires.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:36 AM   #9
Site Team

And unbalanced rims.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:40 AM   #10

I prefer to have the tires balanced. Just my crazy thinking is the more balanced a tire is, the better it will roll down the road: better tire wear, better for the tt, etc. it would be interesting to see a true test of this....

As for balancing without having the trailer there, there isn't any reason they can't balance them.as long as the tire/rim combo is balanced using the proper way (hub centric or lug centric) they should balance just fine.

Replace all 5!!!

I would suggest either the Carlisle RH mode or the Maxxis. Carlisle is suppose to be having a new tire released soon per what I was told last Fall. Though maybe the release has been delayed.

If you know your loaded tt weight, compare it to the total weight rating of the tires. If the rims allow, consider stepping up a weight ratin for more reserve cushion of the loaded vs total weight rating.

Good luck!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:45 AM   #11

I balance every tire, trailer or not. The reduced wear and vibration are worth the small cost.

I took the trailer to Discount Tire. They jacked the whole trailer up. (4 jacks, one at each spring mount) and changed the tires. Quick and easy.

I recommend the Maxxis if you are not going to a LT tire. Stay away from all tires made in China. You can run LT tires with a highway tread just fine as long as they are rated to carry the weight you need.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:45 AM   #12

Your in a simular boat as me. I need new tires and have not decided on a brand. I assume you also have 180/85R13 tires. There is not many options out there for these small tires. I'm considering Marathons, Maxxis, and Discount Tire informed me Carlisle has a new Trail HD tire that Is a load D rated. I have not found any info online about this tire.

I'm thinking about pulling my tires off two at a time and bringing them in. While I'm at it pulling the hubs and greasing the bearings.

Good luck

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:42 PM   #13

tires

if you replace the tires now may be good time to replace the wheel bearings and check the brakes. if you check the bearings they might as well be replaced.
Then you will be set
Bob
380 watts of solar
2013 1500 Silverado 5.3 4x4 ext cab
Equalizer hitch 1,000/10,000
Firestone Airlift airbags
geezerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezerbob View Post
if you replace the tires now may be good time to replace the wheel bearings and check the brakes. if you check the bearings they might as well be replaced.

Then you will be set

Bob

Good idea!!
Old 04-26-2016, 06:08 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomersIsles View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm approaching our 2nd camping season as a hybrid TT owner (2007 23b) so I still consider myself a newbie. We pulled the HTT from the yard to the driveway and noticed 2 tires (one on each side) are totally flat.

1) I'd rather replace them all just so I know they're good and I can monitor their age and quality. Recommendations on a brand?

2) My plan is to take the wheels off the trailer (maybe one side at a time)... And have the new tires mounted down at Town Fair Tire... Then put them back on the trailer. Any better ideas? I can't imagine towing the whole camper somewhere...

3) (possibly stupid question) Should I buy 5 tires so I can replace the spare? I have no clue how old the spare currently is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maxxis and go up a load range if possible.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote