Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #1

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
New Living area carpet

Well Jayco is replacing the living area carpet in our 5er under warranty. I sure wish this didn't have to be done because they cut around the cabinets and such to install instead of removing the cabinets and install as it was when new. The issue was that there was a piece of metal or a screw on the bottom of the dinette slide and it caused a line to be dug into the carpet when the slide was moved in and out. I'm very happy that Jayco is taking responsibility but I'm concerned what kind of work the dealer will do. From the way the service writer was talking it sounds like they bring in a local carpet installer to do the work and they don't do it themselves. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I would want a regular carpet installer. That's what they do for a living :-)
I would also see no issue with trimming around cabinet etc. That's how you do it in a home.

JMHO,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtoms01 View Post
I would want a regular carpet installer. That's what they do for a living :-)
I would also see no issue with trimming around cabinet etc. That's how you do it in a home.

JMHO,
Doug
I get that Doug, but my concern is how do they get the carpet under the ends of the slide outs? Actually, they shouldn't have to go near an cabinets since the problem is the main carpet between the slides in the living area. My concern is how do they get under the slide without removing it? I'm sure it will be ok provided they still have that particular carpet in their system. I tend to over think things and worry before I need to.

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Old 02-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
Site Team

What happened to the original carpet?
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
What happened to the original carpet?
As I said in my OP, the slide out had a screw or piece of jagged metal under it that was digging at the carpet when operating the slide. This caused a frayed streak in the carpet that looked terrible when the slide was out.

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Old 02-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #6

I assume the offending screw or whatever has been removed? Seems to me, the slide would have to be removed to remove the object? I too would have some serious concerns regarding the process- JMHO- DD
Old 02-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #7

Well I certainly hope the dealer is smart enough to remove the object causing the problem but with these guys you never know. Last year when I had the trailer in there they couldn't figure out how to fix the inoperable keyless door entry. They wanted it for a longer time (it had been there a month by this time) to look into it further. I told them to forget it I had a trip planned. Got the trailer home and found the problem in less than 5 minutes and had it working in another 5. At that time I decided that they would no longer work on anything in that trailer that I could do myself.

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Old 02-28-2013, 10:13 PM   #8

Got a call from the dealer today, my concerns have been realized, Jayco no longer has that exact carpet in their system. So now they not only have to replace the main floor but both living room slides. Now we have to argue over replacing the bedroom and stairs and hallway carpet as well. They told the dealer that the replacement is very close but not an exact match. If it is as close as they say I don't want them to change the steps and the upstairs. there is vinyl floor between the living room carpet and the steps so if it is close it shouldn't be to bad.

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Old 03-01-2013, 06:10 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead View Post
As I said in my OP, the slide out had a screw or piece of jagged metal under it that was digging at the carpet when operating the slide. This caused a frayed streak in the carpet that looked terrible when the slide was out.

Steve
Sorry, bad reading comprehension on my part! The answer was right there!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:27 AM   #10

The carpet that was in my 26BHS did not extend far below the slide deck so should not be an issue if you have carpet re-installed. I know because I removed my units carpet and installed oak laminate which I like a lot. The offending screw should be easy to find. Just trace it back in the slide and see what is being screwed down. The factory probably installed a screw that is too long. Good luck
Island_tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:16 PM   #11

UPDATE:

The sample of the replacement carpet arrived the other day and when it was put next to the current carpet it wasn't even close. Nice but not close enough to be in the same area with what we have now. The other issue is that DW didn't like the color next to our existing furniture and accessories. Installing that carpet just in the living room and not the stairs, hall, and bedroom simply isn't acceptable. DW has declared that the damage is not so terrible that we should settle for the replacement carpet. That area is mostly hidden by one of the recliners and the damage is more cosmetic and not likely to shorten the useful life of the carpet. When I advised the dealer that the carpet was a "no-go" for us he suggested I call Jayco and discuss another resolution. I did this and they offered an alternative solution to replacement. Their offer was, in my opinion, a generous one and very fair. The dealer has the trailer at this time and they are adjusting the slides to insure that no further damage occurs to the carpet, we should have the trailer back in 3 or 4 days.

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke