Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2015, 09:11 PM   #1
ksw

New owners question

We just brought home our first travel trailer a jayco 2013 26bhs. We have read and think we are prepared for our first outing next weekend. One question I have is about the hit water heater . Will it fill on it's own when I hook to the city water connection. I have read to purge the air until water comes out to ensure it is properly full. Any advice on steps for water heater is appreciated. Also we have the electric and gas combo.
ksw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:58 PM   #2

It'll fill on its own. Just be sure the winterizing bypass is turned to the "on" setting. Fill it first, then turn it on. It is really simple, don't worry about it.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:41 PM   #3

Welcome...

If the trailer has been winterize you first want to leave the water by pass on and get rid of the antifreeze before turning the bypass value allowing water into your heater.....but first put the water heater plug in that is taken out when winterized.....a little Teflon tape makes a good seal.

There will be a switch for the water heater to use electric or propane, if you are on shore power use electric. I only turn my hot water on shortly before I'm going to use it....I see no point of heating water all the time if I only need in for dishes or a shower.

Have fun.

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:43 AM   #4

x2 on what SASK934 said... these water heaters get hot quickly and seem to hold temp for a good long time. I often still have hot water several hours after turning off the switch.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask934 View Post
Welcome...

If the trailer has been winterize you first want to leave the water by pass on and get rid of the antifreeze before turning the bypass value allowing water into your heater.....but first put the water heater plug in that is taken out when winterized.....a little Teflon tape makes a good seal.

There will be a switch for the water heater to use electric or propane, if you are on shore power use electric. I only turn my hot water on shortly before I'm going to use it....I see no point of heating water all the time if I only need in for dishes or a shower.

Have fun.
Agree with above except the teflon tape addition. You need to confirm what brand you have first. If it's a plastic plug (Attwood) then yes you can add teflon, if it is a Suburban brand with the anode rod then by no means do you add teflon as the metals need to make contact to eliminate the electrolosis that takes place. The plugs have pipe threads so the harder you turn the tighter it gets.

Best to also pop the blowoff valve to confirm you are full. 20 seconds on electric with no water will fry the elements. Just because there is water coming from the hot side of the tap does not mean that there is hot water going through the heater.

Welcome!

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:10 AM   #6

winterizing

Don't be surprised if it doesn't have any antifreeze in it as many just empty and bypass it for the winter, as we do.
The biggest worry when dealing with these is turning off the power before emptying or making certain its full before powering up.
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:54 AM   #7
ksw

Thank you for the responses
ksw is offline   Reply With Quote