Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-27-2015, 03:02 PM   #1

New to RV world and need advice on service expectations

We recently purchased a 2015 Greyhawk 29ME as our very first RV to ever own! We brought it home Thursday evening and over the weekend while trying to get acclimated we noticed a few major issues:
1. The generator shuts off randomly.
2. There is an opening at the base of the slide (when extended)where the elements and or critters from outside could easily come inside.
3. The siriusxm won't connect.
4. A switch in the bathroom does not work.

We called the dealership only to find that they cannot get us in for a couple of weeks and that's just to get in to see the problems, not to necessarily correct them. Are we being too unrealistic in expecting to have these problems rectified a lot sooner? We'd like to be fair with our expectations. We are extremely disappointed that we can't enjoy our brand-new RV for another 2 to 3 weeks.
Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:19 PM   #2

Disclaimer...I am not an expert in the areas you posted about.

1. Generator: I would think that there might be a fuel shut off valve that is closed or the oil level is low. Most have a low oil shutoff. Check your manual and oil level.

2. Opening at the base of the slide: Did you fully extend the slide? Not sure what type your is, but on ours, it drops down when fully extended and seals everything. I would try running it in and all the way out a couple of times to see if it fixes itself. Some are self adjusting.

3. Sirius: Did you activate a subscription? I think you need to do so before using it.

4. Switch in bathroom: Can you easily pull the switch from the wall to double check that the wires are connected? Might be a loose connection or maybe the fuse that the switch is connected to is blown. Check your fuse box.

Hope this helps. I'm sure others who have more experience in these areas will give you great advice.

ddrueckh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:29 PM   #3

A switch in the bathroom does not work.

Sometimes the slide switch on the light itself needs to be on for the wall switch to work

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica View Post
We recently purchased a 2015 Greyhawk 29ME as our very first RV to ever own! We brought it home Thursday evening and over the weekend while trying to get acclimated we noticed a few major issues:
2. There is an opening at the base of the slide (when extended)where the elements and or critters from outside could easily come inside.
4. A switch in the bathroom does not work.

We called the dealership only to find that they cannot get us in for a couple of weeks and that's just to get in to see the problems, not to necessarily correct them. Are we being too unrealistic in expecting to have these problems rectified a lot sooner? We'd like to be fair with our expectations. We are extremely disappointed that we can't enjoy our brand-new RV for another 2 to 3 weeks.
No, it's not unrealistic to think they should fix these items ASAP. Are these items that were found during your pre-delivery inspection or did they just come up?
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:47 PM   #5

I would take it out on it's maiden voyage but stay close to home. You may find a few more problems and can have them all addressed once you get back. We knew we had a few issues before our trip but wanted to flush them all out so off we went to a campsite 1 1/2 hours from us. We ended up finding an extra problem to add to our list.

Make a list of any problems. Keep a copy and give one to the service dept. When you go to pick up your rig make sure all the problems were fixed before you leave the lot.

Good luck!!! There is a lot of knowledge on this forum. Take advantage of it. I learn something every time I sign on.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelbug422 View Post
I would take it out on it's maiden voyage but stay close to home. You may find a few more problems and can have them all addressed once you get back. We knew we had a few issues before our trip but wanted to flush them all out so off we went to a campsite 1 1/2 hours from us. We ended up finding an extra problem to add to our list.

Make a list of any problems. Keep a copy and give one to the service dept. When you go to pick up your rig make sure all the problems were fixed before you leave the lot.
That's what we did last year. We kept a list of items found over the fall and then in January put it in the shop to get everything taken care of at once. Remember, you also have two years under the Jayco warranty to get anything fixed.

But I'd also expect them to help with the generator problem ASAP as that will limit your camping options.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica View Post
Is the gas tank full? If the tank is at near or at 1/4 the geny usually stops running so as not to leave you stranded. Also as was mentioned could be low on oil.
That is somthing that should be an easy fix.
Did you buy the Sirius/XM tuner the unit only comes prepped the tune is not installed
4. A switch in the bathroom does not work.As was mentioned that could be as simple as the switch on the light itself being turned off
With all that said "No you should not have to wait 3 weeks and all of this should have been checked by the dealer during you pre delivery walk through.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:26 PM   #8

Thank you! We will check all of what you have suggested.
Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:09 PM   #9
Site Team

You should expect the dealer to fix those items quickly. They should have been id'd at PDI. I would use it and keep a written punch list of many thing you have a question about.

As mentioned, some bath lights have a wall switch in series with a switch on the fixture.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:33 PM   #10

Also, don't forget to post your issue on the Facebook Jayco site. At times this can help expedite the repairs with Jayco contacting the franchisee

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote