Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2015, 07:25 AM   #11
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
Get the diesel and be done... It's so worth it.
Believe you me, I'd love to - but that $9K hit buys alot of gas and alot of campground stays - among other things.

My new TT has a dry weight of 6160#, and a GVWR of 8200#. I'm figuring somewhere around 7200-7500# loaded. I just don't know if I can bring myself to upgrade to the Duramax with this load in mind. Having had several boats, I'm well aware of two-footitis - but we went with the 28BHKS after initially looking at 23's and 25's, so I'm hoping to keep the trailer for a while. I'm still leaning toward a gasser, but if the right used 2014 comes along in an oil burner, I might be swayed. We'll see.

Thanks again for all the input!

DuckHunterJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:14 PM   #12
I had gas trucks my whole life, I bought a 2011 2500 with a duramax and will never buy a gas truck again! I never thought it would make much of a difference but OMG! I love it! Nothing like climbing a hill and going down one with the exhaust break on, I have converted 2 other guys from 6.0s to a duramaxs and they couldn't be happier, I agree its more money but dam it so much better lol Just my 2 cents

2013 White Hawk 27dsrl
2011 silverado 2500HD 6.6 Duramax diesel
kris_12302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:07 PM   #13
Theres more to the diesel drive train package than just the extra torque IMO. The tranny and diff. are higher quality and more durable/long lived. My duramax is linked to an allison trans. and eton locking diff.
both well know names. You can expect a much longer service life from your initial investment that may justify it if you keep the truck.....and if not it will certainly help resale.
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:22 PM   #14
I read, I believe in Diesel Power Magazine, that right around 110,000 miles you would have broke even with buying the diesel motor. I believe they included all maintenance costs too. If you plan on keeping the truck past that mark, go for the diesel. I'll see if I can find that article.

I looked and couldn't find the article, sorry...
jaycojls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:09 PM   #15
My 2011 F-150 EcoBoost w/Max Tow Pkg. has the built-in sway control. With that in mind when I bought my trail, I made a deal with the salesman for just a heavy-duty hitch insert. Then I got to thinking, "You're pulling a $XX,XXX trailer with a $XX,XXX truck. Do you really want to cheap out on the only thing connecting the two together?" I decided there was more going on back there than just sway. There was weight distribution, in addition to that 30' wind magnet of a box I was going to be towing. That's when I called him back and had him upgrade me to the proper WD hitch with sway control - the one he'd install on his own vehicle. He set me up with a Husky w/single sway bar. I'm glad he did! In fact, even with the integrated sway control and the single friction sway bar, I was still getting quite a bit of sway in windy conditions. At the recommendation of JOF's own "Rustic Eagle", I added a second (left side) sway control. It was like a night and day difference! Now I'm perfectly relaxed and comfortable towing even in 25-30 mph side gusts. (I'll admit that I don't care much for 30+ mph winds, though.)

I'd highly recommend getting a good weight distributing hitch with sway control . . . even with the truck's built-in sway control. You won't regret it!

2013 Eagle 266RKS
2011 Ford F-150 w/3.5L Ecoboost & H.D. Tow Package
Brownie is offline   Reply With Quote