Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-24-2015, 12:49 PM   #1

New TV Integrated Sway Control

Sorry if this has been posted before, I tried searching but gave up. Does anyone have an experience with the integrated sway control on the new HD trucks? I'm looking at upgrading my '12 Ext cab to a '15 Silverado 2500HD Crew in order to have a bit more back seat room for my daughter and dog. A new feature (at least new to me) is integrated sway control. As stated in the literature:

"To help keep both the Silverado HD and your trailer heading in the same direction automatically, sensor help detect a swaying trailer. Trailer sway control then helps bring it back in line by applying both the truck's and the trailer's brakes"

Just curious to see what other's have seen, and if this system negates the need for a dedicated sway control. I'm still planning on purchasing an Equalizer to be safe - but wanted to hear other's experience.

In other news - according to the dealer - my 28BHKS is being built TODAY!
DuckHunterJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:59 PM   #2

Sound like on a windy day you would be getting 2mpg with your brakes on all the time.......Maybe if there is a sensitivity setting so it would just activate in a severe sway condition. As a safety backup. But I would use something that tries to prevent the sway. The Reese dual cam locks you straight in line.
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:17 PM   #3

rick brings up a good point...

The idea is nice, but most (if not all) brake controllers have a manual feature that allows you to apply trailer brakes manually. Same exact concept, except the Chevy does it for you.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:22 PM   #4

Thanks, pretty much what I figured. As I said, I'm still going to install an Equalizer hitch based on everything I've heard and read - was just curious on this.

Now if I could just decide on the whole gas vs diesel debate!
Old 03-24-2015, 03:16 PM   #5

I just bought a '15 silverado and was wondering the same thing.
Reading through the owners manual it says under Towing equipment/ hitches
"Consider using sway controls with any trailer. Ask a trailering professional about sway controls or refer to the trailer manufacturer's recommendations and instructions"

Then if you go the trailer sway control (tsc) section it says
"Vehicles with stabilitrak have a TSC feature. trailer sway is unintended side-to-side motion of a trailer while being towed. If the vehicle is towing a trailer and the TSC detects that sway is increasing, the vehicles brakes are selectively applied at each wheel, to help reduce excessive trailer sway. If the vehicle is equipped with the Integrated Trailer Brake Control (ITBC) system,and the trailer has the electric actuated brake system, StabiliTrak may also apply the trailer brakes.

If TSC is enabled, the Traction Control System (TSC)StabiliTrak warning light will flash on the instrument cluster. Vehicle speed must be reduced. If trailer sway continues, StabiliTrak can reduce engine torque to help slow the vehicle. See Traction Control/ Electronic Stability Control on page 9-54"

Then you go to that page and it shows you how to turn it off.

I haven't towed yet as there is still snow here, but when I do I'm gonna try no sway control (short trip) and see how it goes. If it work good, ok, if not I'll put the sway control on and turn off the Integrated sway control.

I wrestled with the diesel/gas debate and finally settled on gas. With diesel being ~0.70 a gallon more and the $9000 upgrade to diesel from gas. I don't think I would ever tow enough to offset that cost.
Tai95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:48 PM   #6

My Tundra has similar language in the owners manual. I look at it this way though - the integrated system is designed to stop sway once it's detected (reactive). I'd rather be proactive and use a good sway control system to prevent the sway from starting in the first place. The integrated system is a redundancy if for some reason sway does start.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:38 PM   #7

I believe my 14 has it. Also i think all you have to do to turn it off is push the traction control button. I haven't towed anything with my truck yet so i don't know how well it works.
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
nwminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:56 PM   #8

Love my Equalizer hitch. I've had it for 8 years and never had a sway problem withy a 30' trailer. And I've been in some pretty strong cross-winds driving across I-90 in South Dakota. Go with your gut - better safe than sorry. (And the hitch is probably cheaper and better than the truck sway control - IMHO.)

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:14 PM   #9

Have a gmc with the onboard sway control system. I also have a wdh and two sway bars. all are on 100% of the time. We have some winds out west (az,nv,nm,utah)etc. Have had no problems with them working together.
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckHunterJon View Post
Thanks, pretty much what I figured. As I said, I'm still going to install an Equalizer hitch based on everything I've heard and read - was just curious on this.

Now if I could just decide on the whole gas vs diesel debate!

Get the diesel and be done... It's so worth it.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
Get the diesel and be done... It's so worth it.
Believe you me, I'd love to - but that $9K hit buys alot of gas and alot of campground stays - among other things.

My new TT has a dry weight of 6160#, and a GVWR of 8200#. I'm figuring somewhere around 7200-7500# loaded. I just don't know if I can bring myself to upgrade to the Duramax with this load in mind. Having had several boats, I'm well aware of two-footitis - but we went with the 28BHKS after initially looking at 23's and 25's, so I'm hoping to keep the trailer for a while. I'm still leaning toward a gasser, but if the right used 2014 comes along in an oil burner, I might be swayed. We'll see.

Thanks again for all the input!
Old 03-25-2015, 03:14 PM   #12

I had gas trucks my whole life, I bought a 2011 2500 with a duramax and will never buy a gas truck again! I never thought it would make much of a difference but OMG! I love it! Nothing like climbing a hill and going down one with the exhaust break on, I have converted 2 other guys from 6.0s to a duramaxs and they couldn't be happier, I agree its more money but dam it so much better lol Just my 2 cents
Old 03-25-2015, 06:07 PM   #13

Theres more to the diesel drive train package than just the extra torque IMO. The tranny and diff. are higher quality and more durable/long lived. My duramax is linked to an allison trans. and eton locking diff.
both well know names. You can expect a much longer service life from your initial investment that may justify it if you keep the truck.....and if not it will certainly help resale.
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:22 PM   #14

I read, I believe in Diesel Power Magazine, that right around 110,000 miles you would have broke even with buying the diesel motor. I believe they included all maintenance costs too. If you plan on keeping the truck past that mark, go for the diesel. I'll see if I can find that article.

I looked and couldn't find the article, sorry...
jaycojls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:09 PM   #15

My 2011 F-150 EcoBoost w/Max Tow Pkg. has the built-in sway control. With that in mind when I bought my trail, I made a deal with the salesman for just a heavy-duty hitch insert. Then I got to thinking, "You're pulling a $XX,XXX trailer with a $XX,XXX truck. Do you really want to cheap out on the only thing connecting the two together?" I decided there was more going on back there than just sway. There was weight distribution, in addition to that 30' wind magnet of a box I was going to be towing. That's when I called him back and had him upgrade me to the proper WD hitch with sway control - the one he'd install on his own vehicle. He set me up with a Husky w/single sway bar. I'm glad he did! In fact, even with the integrated sway control and the single friction sway bar, I was still getting quite a bit of sway in windy conditions. At the recommendation of JOF's own "Rustic Eagle", I added a second (left side) sway control. It was like a night and day difference! Now I'm perfectly relaxed and comfortable towing even in 25-30 mph side gusts. (I'll admit that I don't care much for 30+ mph winds, though.)

I'd highly recommend getting a good weight distributing hitch with sway control . . . even with the truck's built-in sway control. You won't regret it!