Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-02-2017, 10:15 AM   #1

Newbie - Appliances Not Working

My wife and I are relatively new to RVing, so any help would be appreciated. Hooking up batteries for first time after winter. We have lights and, with the inverter turned on, we have power to the residential fridge. We have no power to the ceiling fan, microwave, TV's, etc.

We hooked up two fully charged 12v batteries in parallel. There is one red positive cable and two black negative black wires coming from the camper. We hooked the red wire marked positive to the positive post on one battery and the 2 black wires on the negative to the second battery. We then hooked the red jumper between both positive posts and the same for the black negative jumper.

Please help with what I did wrong or what to check. Thanks for the help.
sbowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:35 AM   #2

first check to make sure which wire goes to frame from the batteries. Alot of folks hook them up backwards as on mine the black is positive more like a house is wired. I am not sure about your setup but look for which one goes to ground because it could cause a fuse in your convertor to blow for reverse hook up
Old 04-02-2017, 11:03 AM   #3

In most Jaycos with inverter the only 110V outlet that runs off the inverter is the refrigerator. All other 110V appliances need shore power. If the fridge is working, your batteries are installed correctly. Your lights also run off of 12V battery.

Sounds like everything is operating correctly by what you describe.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Sounds like everything is operating correctly by what you describe.
X-2
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:22 PM   #5

Thanks for the quick reply. It makes me feel better that batteries are hooked up correctly. So if we're boondocking, what appliances should work? For example, would the water pump work off of the batteries? Am I correct to assume that without shore power, the TV's, microwave, ceiling fan and A/C's would not work? Again, thanks for your help.
sbowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 01:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbowsher View Post
For example, would the water pump work off of the batteries? Am I correct to assume that without shore power, the TV's, microwave, ceiling fan and A/C's would not work? Again, thanks for your help.
I'm not sure what model Jayco you have but in our Greyhawk, you would be correct.

The water pump works off 12V.
As does our furnace and our non-residential 'fridge - both work on a combination of both 12V and propane.

One of our two TVs is connected to the inverter and thus it too will run off 12V. The other TV needs 120V.

Our microwave, Air Conditioner and electric heater (inside our AC unit) needs 120V. 120V comes from either running the generator or plugging into Shore Power.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 01:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbowsher View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. It makes me feel better that batteries are hooked up correctly. So if we're boondocking, what appliances should work? For example, would the water pump work off of the batteries? Am I correct to assume that without shore power, the TV's, microwave, ceiling fan and A/C's would not work? Again, thanks for your help.
You won't boondock very long with a residential fridge unless you have a geny. Best will be about 14 hrs on the inverter with 2 fully charged batteries.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 03:12 PM   #8

Here's a little bedtime reading. It explains how both the 12 volt and 120 volt systems work in a RV.
The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)