Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > General Jayco RV Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2014, 05:04 PM   #1

Newby Question: So Many Models, What Are Advantages/Disadvantages?

So, I have been studying the forum postings and trying to educate myself at the Jayco website with the intention of perhaps purchasing a new travel trailer.

My question: why the White Hawk, Jay Flight Swift, JayFlight, and Eagle? There are similar floorplans. Some are wood-framed and some are aluminum-framed. The pricing does not seem very different.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of each model?

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2014, 05:31 PM   #2

Some of the differences are in the weights of the TT, and how much stuff you can put in them. Some of it is the level of finish. Some are a little more plush. Some have much heavier frames so you can carry much more. Some differences are in exactly what you said construction technique.

Ultimately, what I would concern myself with in purchasing a new TT is does the floor plan meet your needs. Your needs from being a weekender compared to a fulltimer is a lot different. Personally, if you can go to a dealer that has the trailers you are interested in, do it, walk through them all, and narrow down which ones you like. Then ditch the salesperson and then really sit down and enjoy the TT for 20-30 minutes. Dig through every cabinet, drawer, bench seat storage area, and think about where are you are going to put your stuff and how are you going to use the TT and the available space. For example we have the X23B, it is nice and roomy, lots of storage space, plenty of room for a family of 4-5. We also looked at the 17Z, I like the size, but where would I put my cloths if I would use the cabinets for dishes and food. In the 17Z there just is not enough room for a family, two people I think it would be ok. For me everything needs to have a spot to live, I do not want to be moving things around every time I want to do something or get to something.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:38 PM   #3

It’s about price points and options. We are actively looking for a new TT now too and it’s frustrating because there are something you really like in one line that doesn't carry over to another line. It’s up to the buyer to decide if what matter to them. Here are some of this things we have noticed...

Whitehawk -- Doesn't offer larger 8cf fridge, toilet is plastic not ceramic, bed and overhead storage doesn't have hydraulic rams to assist, smaller tank capacity, smaller LP tanks, etc
Swift vs. JayFlight -- Swift seems to have lower holding tank sizes, lower GVWR, missing hydraulic rams in swift like Whitehawk, certain swift floor plans have side mounted AC, non-ducted AC, no thermostat for AC, Smaller LP Tanks, no LP tank covers, no sink covers
JayFlight -- More standard options over Swift but still very similar. I find a little nicer interior finish, now available in fiberglass -- but not gelcoat fiberglass, tank covers, sink covers, rams, etc.
Eagle -- Most amenities available. Gel Coat Fiberglass, nicest interior finishes, domed ceiling, hidden propane, etc

It’s not that one is better than the other as much as Jayco is providing options to different buyers and different price points. There are folks that are happy with each line. Then there are people like me who fixate of the smallest things, I really like the WhiteHawk 31DSLB Floor plan -- but Whitehawk has been removed from the list for primarily due to reduced LP and Fridge capacity + the plastic toilet. I know for many theses would be insignificant, but for our family and how we use the TT we are willing eliminate Whitehawk and Swift lines to narrow our search to JayFlight and Eagle lines only.

We are seeing the same thing in Keystone too. Lots a similarity and difference between Laredo, Outback, Cougar, etc.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:52 PM   #4

We have a Whitehawk that we just got. Coming from a cassette potty in a pop up the toilet was great for us. I dont know what the advantages are from one to the other. Is there alot??
2017 Jayco Jayflight 28bhbe Elite and thermal package
2014 Jayco White Hawk 28dsbh(traded in)
mesuezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:29 AM   #5

What Jagiven says " For me everything needs to have a spot to live, I do not want to be moving things around every time I want to do something or get to something.", is the key.

You have to bring the things you need. You want to bring the things that make life comfortable. For some it can be a deck of cards. If you play golf or fish, you need more room. Get enough space that you don't frustrate yourself trying to do ordinary things.

Edit: Whatever make and model you choose will be limited by what you can afford. And you get what you pay for. Any TT works better and longer when properly maintained. They are all good (except for an occasional lemon) coming out of the factory. No matter where I go I see tents, Class A diesels, and everything in between.
So, once again, make your choice so that you will be comfortable.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:19 AM   #6
Site Team

There are differences in features and price even thought the floorplans may be nearly identical. For example lets compare the Jayflight 26BHand Jayflight Swift 264BH. The Flight offers many more standard features and AVAILABLE options, a larger GVWR by 1000lbs, 800 more lbs of CCC, nearly twice the fresh water capacity. The price for a fully optioned Swift is $21870 and the Flight is $25405.

FLOORPLAN 264BH
Weights
Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) 4,355
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) 485
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) 6,500
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 2,145
Measurements
Exterior Length 29' 1"
Exterior Width 96"
Exterior Height with A/C 127"
Interior Height 81"
Queen Bed 60 x 74
Double Bed 48 x 76
Bunk Bed 30 x 76
Double Bunk Bed (Optional) 48 x 76
J-Steel Convertible Sofa 42 x 70
Wheel Base 226-1/4"
Tank Capacities
Fresh Water Capacity (gals) includes water heater 48.2
Gray Waste Water Capacity (gals) 32.5
Black Waste Water Capacity (gals) 32.5
Other
Sleeping Capacity 7-9

FLOORPLAN 26BH
Weights
Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) 4,505
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) 445
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) 7,500
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 2,995
Measurements
Exterior Length 29' 1"
Exterior Width 96"
Exterior Height with A/C 126"
Interior Height 81"
Queen Bed 60 x 74
Double Bed 48 x 76
Single Bunk Bed 30 x 76
Double Bunk Bed (Optional) 48 x 76
J-Steel Convertible Sofa 42 x 70
Wheel Base 226-1/4"
Tank Capacities
Fresh Water Capacity (gals) includes water heater 90
Gray Waste Water Capacity (gals) 32.5
Black Waste Water Capacity (gals) 32.5
Other
Sleeping Capacity 7-9

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:20 PM   #7

Thanks to all for their insights. I'll continue by assembling the spec sheets and doing similar comparisons to the one done by Crabman for the floorplans I am interested in.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSELL5000 View Post
Thanks to all for their insights. I'll continue by assembling the spec sheets and doing similar comparisons to the one done by Crabman for the floorplans I am interested in.
Good for you - and us. If we were all smart consumers, we would have better products.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:00 AM   #9

Crabby pretty much hits it on the head. Weight, capacity, higher level of finishes, but don't forget you have to tow it. My only input [maybe in support of the Whawk line] is that I don't see smaller propane [20's that you can exchange at something like every gas, convience store, and walmart], can't get the larger fridge [has outside dorm size fridge for drinks and overflow] and the lack of rams for the underbed storage [can be easily retro fitted as a low cost DYI]; as things that concerned us when we selected our WH 30dsre last spring.

The only other thing I'd suggest is get off the dealer lot. CG's are a good place to see various models while they are in full camping mode. Most RV'ers with newer units are more than happy to show you around. TAKE NOTES!
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:36 PM   #10

I took a drive to a nearby dealer with a lot of travel trailers in stock with my older son this afternoon. We looked at Whitehawk, Jayflight, and Eagle travel trailers.

(1) Maybe I am missing something in the specifications, but it looks to me like the Eagle offers better insulation and all that fiberglass gelcoat skin. I don't see much of a difference to the Jayflight otherwise. I don't know whether that is worth $3K or so to me, as I don't see us going anywhere (other than way south if we go at all) in November through March.

(2) The interiors of the Whitehawk and the Jayflight look largely the same. However, I notice the Jayflight has:

Larger refrigerator
Porcelain toilet with foot flush
Much greater cargo carrying capacity
Much greater water capacity
30 lb gas bottles versus 20 lb gas bottles
MSRP slightly below Whitehawk (about $1K)

So, I am thinking the Jayflight. I like the 28BHBE model because of the entry door directly into the bathroom and the longer and wider bunk beds.

Am I missing something obvious regarding the differences between the Whitehawk, Jayflight, and Eagle models?

Thanks.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #11

^^^ you are seeing exactly the kinds of differences. There isn't going to be a major difference where you think "...ok, I get it..." It's a collection of little things that some really care about others don't value at all. Smooth side walls vs alum used to be that difference, but now. You can get fiberglass walls in each line...some gelcoat and some not, but it's all same vacuum bonded construction Jayco is so proud of.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:38 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSELL5000 View Post
I took a drive to a nearby dealer with a lot of travel trailers in stock with my older son this afternoon. We looked at Whitehawk, Jayflight, and Eagle travel trailers.

(1) Maybe I am missing something in the specifications, but it looks to me like the Eagle offers better insulation and all that fiberglass gelcoat skin. I don't see much of a difference to the Jayflight otherwise. I don't know whether that is worth $3K or so to me, as I don't see us going anywhere (other than way south if we go at all) in November through March.

(2) The interiors of the Whitehawk and the Jayflight look largely the same. However, I notice the Jayflight has:

Larger refrigerator
Porcelain toilet with foot flush
Much greater cargo carrying capacity
Much greater water capacity
30 lb gas bottles versus 20 lb gas bottles
MSRP slightly below Whitehawk (about $1K)

So, I am thinking the Jayflight. I like the 28BHBE model because of the entry door directly into the bathroom and the longer and wider bunk beds.

Am I missing something obvious regarding the differences between the Whitehawk, Jayflight, and Eagle models?

Thanks.
Some of the differences you are seeing is because the Whitehawk is considered a "liteweight" unit, and the Jayflight is not.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
^^^ you are seeing exactly the kinds of differences. There isn't going to be a major difference where you think "...ok, I get it..." It's a collection of little things that some really care about others don't value at all. Smooth side walls vs alum used to be that difference, but now. You can get fiberglass walls in each line...some gelcoat and some not, but it's all same vacuum bonded construction Jayco is so proud of.
Just received an email from Jayco regarding the Fiberglass siding option on the JayFlight line. Contrary to what the dealer thought -- the fiberglass walls on the Jayflght are NOT vacuum bonded and attached to the same wood framing that the alum siding would be attached to.