Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-13-2015, 04:40 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods
Actually we are not being specific enough here. Talking in terms of parallel or series is a short cut, but misleading.

GFCI receptacles actually have two sets of contacts, line, and load. The Line side of the receptacle is used to power the device via the outlet, while the load side is used to power other devices down the line. Any device connected to the load side of a GFCI receptacle, will be protected by the GFCI receptacle.

You don't really need more than one GFCI, but there is no harm in using more than one in a circuit. If wired correctly, the GFCI outlet shuts all the outlets downstream because it interrupts the load side that is powering the next outlet/outlets.

RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:41 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods
Opps, the daisy chain comment went up while I was writing my post.

Parallel and series are better terms when talking about wiring batteries or lights, not GFCI.

RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:53 PM   #13
The common term is "Feed through" GFI receptacle. It is designed with specific terminals to use for protecting other receptacles or devices. It is a very common device found in RV units, residential, and commercial properties. They often use feed through units to protect other receptacles. It is less costly to install just one feed through GFI and offers the same safety. It can be a bit less convenient for the user in that when the "main" feed through unit trips it de-energizes more than one receptacle.

Some information is in this early hit by doing the Google on the internets.

GFCI Outlet Wiring Methods

Posts happened while I was composing and, as always, slowly typing.

I agree with RodgerS that using parallel and series to describe a GFI feed through circuit is less than ideal.

FWIW. vic

VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote