Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-13-2015, 12:57 PM   #1

No GFCI Outlet in Bathroom?

Am I the only one who thinks it is strange that Jayco did not install a GFCI outlet in my bathroom next to the sink just like the one installed in the kitchen next to the sink?
Old 10-13-2015, 01:00 PM   #2

No, because they are connected. In many cases it is in the bathroom and the kitchen is in parallel.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:06 PM   #3

So my bathroom outlet is protected by the GFCI outlet in the kitchen? I suppose I can test that by clicking the red button off and plugging something to the outlet in the bathroom, right?
Old 10-13-2015, 01:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Klassy View Post
So my bathroom outlet is protected by the GFCI outlet in the kitchen? I suppose I can test that by clicking the red button off and plugging something to the outlet in the bathroom, right?
Yes. And you may have 2 depending on the size of the unit. They save by putting the GFCI in a series circuit and through the load side of the outlet to protect all the outlets in the series.

There should be a white sticker on the outlet mentioning the proctection if they dd not come off already.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:34 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

If they are connected in series, one GFCI protects the ones downstream of the GFCI outlet. If they are connected in parallel then each outlet needs a GFCI, as I understand it.

The same reason that the old xmas tree lights would all go out when one went out because they were in series. Now they are in parallel.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:48 PM   #6

Ours is located in the bathroom, but the outlet near the kitchen sink and the outdoor outlet are also connected to it.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
If they are connected in series, one GFCI protects the ones downstream of the GFCI outlet. If they are connected in parallel then each outlet needs a GFCI, as I understand it.
Yep, my bad..
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
ent out because they we.

120 volt household and travel trailer receptacles are all connected in parallel. You cannot connect 120 volt receptacles in series and expect them to work properly. You can put multiple outlets in a circuit. As long as the first outlet in the circuit is a GFCI then all outlets downstream are protected. You also should not put two GFCI's in a single circuit.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:57 PM   #9

My outside receptacle is paired with the kitchen one. All of my other places where contact with water is have their own GFCI outlets.

I'm sure several of the others are paired but have never tested that...

All I really know is I have three masters... Kitchen Sink - Bathroom sink and bedroom wash up sink...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
120 volt household and travel trailer receptacles are all connected in parallel. You cannot connect 120 volt receptacles in series and expect them to work properly. You can put multiple outlets in a circuit. As long as the first outlet in the circuit is a GFCI then all outlets downstream are protected. You also should not put two GFCI's in a single circuit.
Good going, us71na. I was about to point this out but you nailed it. I think the proper term here is "daisy chained". Not series or parallel. Though they are physically wired in parallel.

For those who have outlets outside you will find those are also downstream of the GFCI.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:40 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Actually we are not being specific enough here. Talking in terms of parallel or series is a short cut, but misleading.

GFCI receptacles actually have two sets of contacts, line, and load. The Line side of the receptacle is used to power the device via the outlet, while the load side is used to power other devices down the line. Any device connected to the load side of a GFCI receptacle, will be protected by the GFCI receptacle.

You don't really need more than one GFCI, but there is no harm in using more than one in a circuit. If wired correctly, the GFCI outlet shuts all the outlets downstream because it interrupts the load side that is powering the next outlet/outlets.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:41 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Opps, the daisy chain comment went up while I was writing my post.

Parallel and series are better terms when talking about wiring batteries or lights, not GFCI.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:53 PM   #13

The common term is "Feed through" GFI receptacle. It is designed with specific terminals to use for protecting other receptacles or devices. It is a very common device found in RV units, residential, and commercial properties. They often use feed through units to protect other receptacles. It is less costly to install just one feed through GFI and offers the same safety. It can be a bit less convenient for the user in that when the "main" feed through unit trips it de-energizes more than one receptacle.

Some information is in this early hit by doing the Google on the internets.

GFCI Outlet Wiring Methods

Posts happened while I was composing and, as always, slowly typing.

I agree with RodgerS that using parallel and series to describe a GFI feed through circuit is less than ideal.

FWIW. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote