Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2014, 04:03 PM   #1

Norcold dagnostic codes

When I packed the camper Friday morning to go camping this weekend, the Norcold fridge/freezer would not start on shore power or LP. It worked last month. Not knowing what to do, I turned it off and restarted it, several times. Then gave up, packed a cooler and thought I would mess with it at the campground. Once there, I Finally pulled the book out. I get a code on the display "N". According to the book, the cooling unit has stopped working. This can be reset once by turning off and back on. If it repeats then it has to go to a dealer to reset. Book just says reset, nothing about a service or leak etc. Doesn't say why it quit, just needs a reset.
My question is this. If its just a reset, does anybody know how to do it? Nearest dealer is over an hour away and if its a simple fix I can do it. Now if its the coolant (ammonia) or such then I guess I got to take it there. Just trying to save some money and time. Its been my experience with a lot of these computer diagnostics its just a wire or switch but you got to know which one and where its located.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:17 AM   #2

this article was on the N412.. without knowing your model, this is the best I can find...

The "n" code can mean a number of things, including inadequate circulation of air to the fins and thermister that hangs off the fins. (This may have been our problem, as the top shelf was packed full.) Other causes are listed in the manual. Here's a link to the manual, which you may want to print off and add to your book. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/n5051.pdf

The manual describes two ways to reset the board. One is very involved, removing lots of wires and using a jumper. Not the way an average person would like to attempt, as a wrong move could "fry" the board. The second method restarts modern boards through a series of steps on the control panel. That's what Paul used, so we could try the refrigerator on A/C mode. Directions are on page 56, Screen 6, Erase Fault Data History.

This fault can be caused by a number of things, including wasps' nests, dirty burner, etc. All of these will need to be checked on ours, however, at least for now we're running on A/C power and the food (and beer!) will stay cold.

Other links to read: http://www.justanswer.com/rv-motorho...er-locked.html

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/reset.pdf

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/newreset.pdf
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:37 PM   #3

Thanks for the links. I'm pretty handy with everything except refrigeration. And thats mainly cause I don't have the correct tools and gauges available. I'm going to take a look at it and clean it etc. Then I'm going to reset it. If it goes off again then I will assume its something to do with the ammonia coolant, circulation, etc. Yeah...I'm gonna let somebody else handle that one.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:01 PM   #4

Awesome. Seems to be working. At least the code has disappeared and the lights indicating its working are lit. Gonna give it a few hours and see if it cools and stays that way. I believe the code originally showed because I had no gas in the LP bottle and didn't know it.