Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2016, 12:51 PM   #1

Not full hookups...what to expect?

New to camping in an RV and our 2nd trip is planned for labor day weekend...gonna spend 5 nights at Devils Den state park in northwest Arkansas. They did not have any full hookup spots available so I grabbed one of the last few spots with water and power. I'm not gonna lie, I have no idea what to expect camping for that long without a sewer hookup and it makes me nervous. I've already told the family that we will be using the water sparingly and using the bathhouse for showers and most toilet excursions....even with that, what should I expect? Is it reasonable to be able to expect to make it the full 5 days without having to pull out and go find a dump station or am I dreaming and should plan on a trip or 2 at least? Camper is a 2013 X23B Hybrid with either 23 or 26 gallon holding tanks, I can't remember right off the top of my head.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:05 PM   #2

First, check out the Boondocking sub forum.

If you really limit your water usage (use CG facilities almost exclusively) you should be able to go more than a week on 23 gallons of wastewater.

The two of us used to go 3-4 days on 20 gallons of water by limiting shower duration.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:06 PM   #3

Buy a waste tote and you can use it to haul waste to the dump whenever needed. Beats breaking camp and pulling the trailer to dump, then setting back up.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:10 PM   #4

From what I've experienced so far the grey water will get you in trouble the fastest. I went 8 days before my grey filled up enough that my sink wouldn't drain, the black was only 2/3s full if we want to trust the idiot lights. If I'd been more conservative it would have been more even. I should have been dumping my dishwater into the toilet much sooner (started this on day 4). We should have brushed teeth and hands using the outside shower head (this would have helped I'm sure). We have 86 gallons of fresh water so that wasn't an issue at all. I did 4 days taking fast showers and using the toilet without any problems at all (Me, my Wife, and 3 yr old daughter). Your going to be just fine, use your camper and enjoy it. Don't be one of those guys I see making his family trek across the campground because he's afraid of the holding tanks. Watch your levels every evening and adjust accordingly if needed.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:13 PM   #5

If you're not going to shower in the rig then you should have NO problem. In our previous TT - with a 30gal gray water tank, the 2 of us could go a 3 day weekend even WITH taking showers. I found that with 30 gal of waste we could do 4 showers and dishes, misc. stuff (like brushing teeth) no problem.

There are a few things you can do to extend your capacity since you will NEVER fill your black water tank in that period. We used to put a piece of large tupper ware in the kitchen sink and was dishes in that. Then when done we would dump in in the toilet (so it went into the black tank). Also, our bathroom sink was plumbed into the black tank (not sure about yours) so anything we did in the bathroom sink was all good.

Absolute worst case - you might have to tow the rig to the dump station and back. I never had room to carry a tote in my previous setup so that wasn't an option for me - plus those things are expensive in my opinion and I never needed it.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
If you're not going to shower in the rig then you should have NO problem. In our previous TT - with a 30gal gray water tank, the 2 of us could go a 3 day weekend even WITH taking showers. I found that with 30 gal of waste we could do 4 showers and dishes, misc. stuff (like brushing teeth) no problem.

There are a few things you can do to extend your capacity since you will NEVER fill your black water tank in that period. We used to put a piece of large tupper ware in the kitchen sink and was dishes in that. Then when done we would dump in in the toilet (so it went into the black tank). Also, our bathroom sink was plumbed into the black tank (not sure about yours) so anything we did in the bathroom sink was all good.

Absolute worst case - you might have to tow the rig to the dump station and back. I never had room to carry a tote in my previous setup so that wasn't an option for me - plus those things are expensive in my opinion and I never needed it.
We do the dish tote in the sink, use this to wash and catch rinse water, dump this down your toilet. It will help tremendously and the soapy water helps clean the black tank. Win Win situation!
Sterilite Dish Pan, 18 quart https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PZGQRQU..._kAoPxbWJJCFXH
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:17 PM   #7

Good deal, doesn't sound like it will be too bad. The good news is that we are extremely close to the bath house....the bad news is that we are extremely close to the bath house! haha
Old 08-05-2016, 01:44 PM   #8
Site Team

Very rarely do we camp with sewer hookups available, most of the state parks just do not have them here. I use a Barker tote tank to haul the grey water to the dump station if necessary. I have never had to use it with the black water yet. Its not a big deal, you learn fast how to use less water and enjoy the trip.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:45 PM   #9

Out west... there are lots of state and federal campgrounds that encourage campers to drain your grey water into the forest. You should check with that campground BEFORE you drain on the ground.

As for us... in those places we can drain our grey water, we use a Camco-39463-Sewer-Hose-Connection attached to a 30ft garden hose and let the shower / dish water drain where it does the most benefit to the area.

Then... all you have to worry about is the Black Tank.

I would call the camp ground... let them know where your spot is and ask about "grey on the ground"
SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:56 PM   #10

Short answer is USE THE CG FACILITIES and you will be fine. Don't run the water while brushing teeth etc. Many if not most State Park CGs don't have sewer hookups at the sites. I know that a lot of people have the attitude that I bought a TT so I didn't have to use the CG facilities. Sorry if that is you but like I said you are going to run into water/electric only at a whole lot of campgrounds. If you are planning on making longer stays at parks without sewer hookups, invest in a tote. Sounds gross but its a necessity unless you are willing to unplug and head over to the dump station.

For a long weekend with some good decision making on water usage and you should be fine. Remember that dish washing [a necessity] can use a lot of water. The wash basin is a good idea.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:48 PM   #11

I don't know what the deal is, but I swear: two military showers and our grey water is full up. Even when it's just me in the trailer.

One of these days I'm going to climb underneath and find they put a half size tank in or something.

I have a 42 gallon grey water tote that comes in very handy when we don't have a sewer connection. Only used it once, but it was a lifesaver, and not difficult to deal with at all.

I have yet to ever actually see the black water tank full, save when I fill it up to dump.
ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:09 PM   #12

We go to State Parks without full hookups sometimes - When we go for 5 nights, we can make it 3 nights, but then I pull it up to the dump station. We have two small kids (3&5) that get really dirty and aren't really into showers yet, so they get a sparing bath. We go easy on the dish washing (paper plates). I have found that I can hook up, go dump, and be back on the site in about 40 minutes total...

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:16 PM   #13
Site Team

Go out and purchase a 15 gallon Blue boy and don't worry about it. They are a great investment especially if you are camping w/o sewer often. I have a 15 gallon tank and I have 4 times the grey water tanks as you. Even if I don't need it for 5-6 days, it's there if needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Barker-11747-.../dp/B00069C7QA

Enjoy the trip! BTW, did you mention if you are taking kids with you? Family members have to be taught how to conserve what goes in the tanks. The less the longer it is not a problem. Keep some water in your black tank even when empty.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:22 PM   #14

Yes, the kids will be along with us.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:53 PM   #15

As others have said, just get a "honey pot" (tote) for the grey water. Encourage everyone to use the CG facilities.

At least having a tote will get you out of a bind if your tanks fill up.

Electric and water is considered a luxury to some [emoji6]

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:35 PM   #16

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm feeling much more comfortable. I knew it was doable as a lot of the sites I've seen don't offer sewage I just didn't know what I should expect. Looks like a great weekend in the making to me! ��
Old 08-05-2016, 10:53 PM   #17

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecksdude View Post
I don't know what the deal is, but I swear: two military showers and our grey water is full up. Even when it's just me in the trailer.

2 "military" showers and the grey tank is full?? Something is definitely not right...lol!
KennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:35 AM   #18

We've got a fifth wheel, so bigger tanks than you, but we will dry camp for 5 to 7 days without moving. Our black tank is 37.5 gallons and that never gets full, but is getting closer at 7 days. And we don't make an effort to use the campground facilities. This is with a family of four.

We have 2 gray tanks, both 37.5 gallons. One is hooked to kitchen sink (which never is an issue) and the other to our bathroom sink and shower. This one's our limit. We can make 5 days work without worry, but do get darn near full, but can't make 7 days. Kids usually end up showering every other day. I've kind of figured out that our showers average 3 to 4 gallons of water each. We have had a 20-some gallon blue tote for several years and have only pulled it out to make one or two trips during a 7 day stay only to empty shower water, probably 4 times in 6 years.

We started the same way. The more you do it, the more you learn your camper, and the more comfortable you'll get. Between the tote and a few 6 gallon water jugs, we use our fifth wheel without worry. It's easier for me to carry water to pour into the camper than to overly worry about conserving water (everybody ends up stressed it seems). If we need water, I add it. If the gray fills, I empty it. For me, it keeps things easy.

You don't need a giant tote, a 10 gallon may be a good compromise between storage size and capacity. Either 2 trips in one day, or one trip every other day, would keep you in really good shape, tank wise.

My suggestion, if you are interested and have room to store, would be to get a tote, and a 6 gallon fresh water jug. Then you can add fresh water, get rid of gray water, and not be tied to full hookup sites. It will open up a lot more possibilities for places to stay.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:35 AM   #19

Our experience is with mostly electric only sites.

As noted above there are many water saving tricks to extend your stay without having to dump. I really don't want to haul around a tote or pay the extra money for one.

We are one of the groups that takes the trek for "nice" bathrooms a couple of times a day then utilize the vaults other times. After all... it is "camping" and we still have to rough it a bit.
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote