Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-09-2016, 10:01 PM   #1

Not happy with my Jay Flight 23RB - What to do?

You could call tonight's rain storm the straw that broke the camel's back. I've had my Jayco Jay Flight 23RB now for a full year and I think that's enough time to render a review. And it's not good.

Since receiving my new travel trailer, I have uncovered the following problems:

1.) Tonight it rained hard; not crazy hard, but hard enough. The windows facing the storm literally had water pouring in. Some water came in through the bottom of the door, too. It took 5 towels and many paper towels to stem the leaks. I was especially concerned because the dinette windows are over an electrical outlet. Not good.

2.) My refrigerator/freezer broke in November and required me to replace the heater coil.

3.) My refrigerator/freezer broke again this month and I'm still waiting to take it in to be fixed. I don't know why it no longer cools.

4.) The cupboards over the kitchen sink have a wafer thin bottom, which prevents storage of anything in the cupboards without the bottom of them bowing. I had to put can'ts of soup and tomato sauce between the bottom of the cupboards and the top of the valance over the windows. While this is bad, at least it is not as bad as the...

5.) Wardrobes flanking the bed, whose bottoms are even more lightweight than the kitchen cabinets. No weight at all can be supported on the bottom of these without them giving way and the staples pulling out.

6.) The rubber edging at the bottom of the door peeled away and require super glue to refasten.

7.) The RV arrived with the tube kinked feeding the water tank through the gravity feed hole, which necessitated me to remove the fixture from the side of the RV, pull the tube through, cut it shorter, and refasten the gravity feed fixture to the side of the trailer.

8.) The shelf above the radio and at the bottom of the AV cubbyhole next to the TV has collapsed, necessitating me to build a new shelf that is stronger and more useful than the piece of cardboard Jayco installed instead.

9.) The USB ports where they used to put in a DC jack shorted out almost immediately and has never worked since.

10.) The gauges that are supposed to display how much water, and fluids I have in my gray water and black water tanks went out 6 months ago and no longer work.

11.) One of the kitchen cupboard drawers below the sink has never closed right no matter how much I've tinkered with it.

12.) The TV antenna no longer goes down all of the way, only 80% of the way down.

13.) Open the storage compartment door on the bottom right rear of the travel trailer, go into the bathroom, look in the closet, and see all of the daylight that streams through the crevices between the closet floor and the outdoor storage compartment. I spent an entire day insulating that storage compartment and using rubber tape and foam to seal that compartment from the closet.

14.) The veneer on the corners of the bathroom door by the hinge is wearing off.

15.) One of the orange running light covers/caps flew off in month #1 and needed to be replaced.

16.) The dinette window screen was warped and has never fit right.

17.) The window next to the couch didn't open because of a poorly placed screw and needed to removed and moved so it would open.

18.) The bathroom shower curtain runner was warped and needed to be removed and reinstalled so the shower curtain could be opened and closed.

19.) The BBQ grill that came with the RV would never attach to the gas fitting at the rear of the RV. I finally ditched it and got a new grill.

20.) One of the coat hanger hooks pulled out from the side of the wall for no known reason.

21.) The light above the stove and the fan have not worked since last October.

I'm sure there are other things, but that's all I can think of at the moment. I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm not happy at all with Jayco and it's quality on this product. I expected more.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:29 PM   #2

We have had several things needing repair in the last year we've owned. Some minor some a little more than minor. We have had it in twice for warranty work so far and everything has been accounted for no problem. Have you taken in to the dealer at all? Hopefully it's still under warranty. Get it in before that list gets any longer!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:40 AM   #3

Have you sat down with the dealer and showed him this list? Individually, some of the minor things, like a lens cover coming off, are probably not worth a warranty claim. Cumulatively, however, they add up to a unit that needs attention. A conversation with a service manager, plus a cell phone video of the unit leaking during the rain, would've been a starting place for me. Good luck.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:59 AM   #4

Cut a piece of 1:8" plywood for the cabinet bases. Easy to just set in place and solve the issue.

Sadly, that's not a defect. It's a result of dealers going cheaper as we (the consumer) have driven them to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"

J.Lockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:02 AM   #5

In addition, some of the warranty claims I've had ... window leaks, etc ... I opted to solve myself as I knew I would use better materials, take more care, and essentially fix it "better than new".

Some issues, that isn't an option. But if it was ... that's the route I went.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"

J.Lockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:47 AM   #6

It's unfortunate that you are having these issues. Maybe I missed it in your post, why have you not brought this back to the dealer? Things like the light above the stove may be as simple as a bulb. Things like that are not covered under the warranty. If you are a handy person and have good troubleshooting skills, a lot of minor things could be repaired without the inconvince of being without a trailer for an extended time. If your unit is still under warranty, make a good list, sit down with the dealer and drop it off during the off season. Don't leave with it from the dealer unless you are 100% satisfied with the repairs. Have them spray the side of the unit with water while you are inside checking for leaks.

Good luck!
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:56 PM   #7

Wow! Our 2015 Jayco has been so wonderful my wife has actually been giddy about it. We had a leak in the kitchen faucet and Jayco sent me a new one no charge with no hassle. Other than that its 100% perfect.

Your story makes me sad. They should reimburse you all money paid and / or give you a new trailer.

How well your dealer goes to bat for you will tell the whole story.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:25 PM   #8

Make a appointment with the dealer and get things fixed. It should still be under warranty. I am sure the dealer or Jayco will make it right.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:34 PM   #9

Funny after all the money spent to buy this trailer that the OP can read here suggestion on how to fix it, do this, add that......for God sake its a new trailer !!!

The OP said that he is not happy, he is not asking how to fix the mess builded by Jayco...

Guys I really think that you should stop buying new trailer and build your own....

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:12 PM   #10

I will see my dealer in a week or so. I haven't had a chance to go in with it yet because I'm in a very rural park of Montana and there aren't many Jayco dealers in the state. I also have extensive hail damage on one side and the front and scheduling that repair has been next to impossible due to the fact that so many other RVs got hit in the same storm. Trying to kill two birds with one stone.

I guess the question should not have been, "What do I do?" Instead I should have asked, "Is this normal?" Because it is, I'm less than impressed with Jayco.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:34 AM   #11

Some will say that its normal. Normal because thats how it is. Normal because its not a high end trailer.....normal because, because...Some likes to defend Jayco, i would say sometimes more than Jayco defend themselves, they are trying hard at finding excuse for them....many will say that Jayco and your dealer are going to make it right, to not worry......i always wonder why Jayco cant make right in their installation....... Jayco is not the only one in this boat, thank God they stand by their product, however delivering a trailer like yours or mine is unnaceptable .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Klassy View Post
I will see my dealer in a week or so. I haven't had a chance to go in with it yet because I'm in a very rural park of Montana and there aren't many Jayco dealers in the state. I also have extensive hail damage on one side and the front and scheduling that repair has been next to impossible due to the fact that so many other RVs got hit in the same storm. Trying to kill two birds with one stone.

I guess the question should not have been, "What do I do?" Instead I should have asked, "Is this normal?" Because it is, I'm less than impressed with Jayco.

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:10 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
The OP said that he is not happy, he is not asking how to fix the mess builded by Jayco....
To be fair he did ask what do I do? The answers he got were exactly that.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote