Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-02-2016, 08:00 PM   #31
Expect something to go wrong

We have had two motorhomes and now a travel trailer. A wise older lady I know who spent a lot of time traveling the summers in her RV with her husband and tailgating at the Swamp in the fall, told me we when purchased our first used motorhome...."just expect something to go wrong before you head out on any trip, then you won't be disappointed." Some of the best laughs my husband and I have had over the years have been the things that went wrong - when we look back. And we are still laughing! I think a couple of them could topped the movie RV! BTW, I like the forums to research for my husbands ways to fix things! There is always an answer on a forum for any problem.

ReelCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:50 AM   #32
My experience is that the RV industry is very poorly regulated, and they get away with some incredibly derelict and unsafe practices. You have to go into it with eyes wide open and know that you will spend a lot of time and money repairing things and rebuilding things properly. If you are not a resourceful person, you probably will not enjoy owning an RV, boat, plane, or a classic car, unless you have a bank account that allows you to pay for all of the vehicle failures, restoration, and wear and tear repairs. Well, really, add a home to that list, too. Most homes are built to fail as well.

In the case of an RV, you bought a rolling earthquake made of cheap materials that have been slapped together. Personally, I find warranties and dealers to be a huge sham (and most every repair shop). I reserve trips to a dealer (RV or Auto) for only the most critical safety and/or mechanical recalls. Otherwise, I do not want them touching my investments - been in and around the industry, been screwed numerous times, learned to take ownership of my choices to own "stuff." I can count the number of mechanics and/or technicians that I trust with our vehicles on half a hand. I definitely do not trust any manufacturer of any brand of vehicle (RV or Auto).

The key word is "resourceful." If you do not have the cash, you must learn to diagnose and repair for yourself if you want to keep your "stuff" safe, highly operational, clean, and enjoyable. For us working schmoes, owning stuff takes time, mental and physical effort, our limited finances, lots of patience, and most importantly a "can do" attitude. If that does not sound appealing and you work to get by, then you would be happier finding another place to put your time, money, and energy.

2016 Jay Feather 23RBM
2012 Ram 1500 (Hemi)
Equalizer 10K
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:37 AM   #33
The post above sums it all up. Very well written and I agree with all of it. All the things we own I will try and fix myself in most situations. If not, there's got to be a YouTube on it.
2012 Eagle 320 RLDS
2012 Ford F-250 Crew Cab FX4, 6.7l PSD
3.55 E-locker, Timbrens
TCNASHVILLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:22 AM   #34
For the most part FeatherFans post is spot on in regards to how I see it. If you don't find a way to incorporate a little bit of maintenance into part of camping each trip you will quickly have a mess on your hands. There are very few systems on an RV that are so complex that the average Joe need be afraid, and even in the more complex situations there is enough information available on the interest that you can quickly be just as familiar as most dealer techs. With the added benefit of being vested enough to actually care that the job is performed correctly.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
2009 F350 CC LB 4WD
2017 Jayco 355MBQS
Rustysocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:09 AM   #35
Site Team
There is not much new under the sun in a rv.

If you can't figure it out then ask or look.

2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote

dealers, lemons