Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2016, 04:54 PM   #1

Noticing a trend...

I have been noticing a trend on these boards that go something like this:
  1. Customer buys brand spanking new shiny RV
  2. Brand spanking new shiny RV Has a bunch of issues, some minor, some major that are not discovered until they take them out on the road.
  3. Customer is pissed off.
  4. Customer comes on the forums asking "Is this normal?"

So my question is this: Aren't the dealers supposed to pre-check these things to make sure that they are road worthy? Wouldn't that include testing all of the major components: Plumbing, electrical, cooling, heating, engine, etc?

I know that lemons can ship from a factory, but IMHO, it is the dealer that should be catching the mistakes before it gets released to the customer.

I have not purchased a new RV, but it would seem to me that there should be some kind of checklist that the dealer signs off on. When a building is built, there is something called a "punch list" where the engineers, builders, architects and customers all walk through and make sure everything that was spec'ed out is done. Anything that is not completed is put on the punch list and is corrected before the keys to building are handed over and the contractors get their money.

Do Dealers have Punch lists?
If not, they should. And maybe we should keep a list of dealers that are selling crap to customers, so we can warn folks.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:01 PM   #2

I think the problem is two fold...1) It depends on on dealer with regards to how thorough a job they do and you do with the PDI; 2) after we drive off with the unit tow them down the road for a distance, things come loose and "just happen".

I've had a bunch of problems...some minor, some major, but all in all I'm happy with the 5er I chose. I think my dealer could do a better job with regards to customer service, but I now think that they are trying, as they hired a new manager over the service dept and thus far has been much better from my experiences.

'16 Ram 3500 MC CTD Dually, 4:10 rear
'14 Ram 2500 MC CTD (gone)
'14 287BHBE (gone)
'16 North Point 377BHRL (current and hopefully last)
Bookemdanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHolt View Post

I know that lemons can ship from a factory, but IMHO, it is the dealer that should be catching the mistakes before it gets released to the customer.
That is the biggest problem, some dealers can't find qualified PDI staff or just don't care.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #4

You have to remember, the only commentary you will see online, for the most part are folks that have a problem and are trying to figure out the issue or are simply venting. Keep in mind there are 10's of 1000's of Jayco customers who are completely satisfied with their unit whom you never hear from.... Just saying...

Royal Canadian Air Force - Ret
2016 Eagle 321 RSTS
2016 F350
jwmercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:03 PM   #5

^^ what they said, ALL forums are like that, many unhappy people and some very enthusiastic people. I don't know of one thing everyone would be happy to have, there will always be a (or several) haters.

Such is life...
Old 08-18-2016, 07:09 PM   #6
Site Team

Yes you hear about the bad experiences, but if you check our dealer satisfaction poll, initial quality poll, and quality after two years poll, it becomes clear the majority are satisfied with their dealer and their unit.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmercer View Post
You have to remember, the only commentary you will see online, for the most part are folks that have a problem and are trying to figure out the issue or are simply venting. Keep in mind there are 10's of 1000's of Jayco customers who are completely satisfied with their unit whom you never hear from.... Just saying...
This is exactly what folks use specific product forums for. I belong here and to the Ford F150 Forum. If an uninformed person just happened to drop in they would run like hell from both products. It would seem like there is not a road worthy Jayco RV or an F150 to pull them...
2016 Jayco 28BHBE - Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C
Marcm157 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:30 PM   #8

My dealer did a solid 2.5 3 hour PDI with me,he assured me he tested everything but wanted to show me again how things work and that they work,he actually pointed out 2 pieces of brokeb trim that he had already noted and they were gonna be ordered.Being new to trailers I felt comfortable leaving especially that our maiden voyage was the same day we picked it up.But my salesman and PDI guy both told me,Listen,things happen as it gets used,take it out,enjoy it work out any bugs that may come up,which I did and only had a few issues that they fixed when the new moulding pieces came in.Like other people said,things get bounced around when towing,wood gets chips and scuffs when a family is staying in them and some issues are just plain bad workmanship,but you take it out and enjoy it and take it in during winter for repairs

2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 314BHDS

IBEW local 94 Electrical Worker
314BHDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
This is exactly what folks use specific product forums for. I belong here and to the Ford F150 Forum. If an uninformed person just happened to drop in they would run like hell from both products. It would seem like there is not a road worthy Jayco RV or an F150 to pull them...

This is a true statement. I often try to impart into a "this is crap" thread some contradictory experience. Usually I am ostracized for swimming against the current.

My experience with my Jayco has been since October 2014. I've only had a single broken component, but I have not whined about it, or Jayco. I might not even bother with a warranty claim.

I've replaced a tire.

I broke a door jam.

I needed to replace an LED.

I am building a queen bed support system.

None of those are Jaycos' fault: they are due to my 18 weekends per season camping schedule. That's severe duty!

Craig Bailey
New England
2007 Chevy 2500HD crew
2015 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2007 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4x4 Z71
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:56 PM   #10

We only buy used and I prefer to do most all things myself.
I think there's a bigger segment of our community that should at least rent prior to purchase and perhaps do that every time they have the itch to camp in an RV.
These things depreciate more than anything else I have ever owned, and don't like to sit. Many people use their RVs at most twice a year.
We are fortunate enough to live in a temperate climate and use ours at least once a month.

abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealers, lemons