Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2016, 04:54 PM   #1

Noticing a trend...

I have been noticing a trend on these boards that go something like this:
  1. Customer buys brand spanking new shiny RV
  2. Brand spanking new shiny RV Has a bunch of issues, some minor, some major that are not discovered until they take them out on the road.
  3. Customer is pissed off.
  4. Customer comes on the forums asking "Is this normal?"

So my question is this: Aren't the dealers supposed to pre-check these things to make sure that they are road worthy? Wouldn't that include testing all of the major components: Plumbing, electrical, cooling, heating, engine, etc?

I know that lemons can ship from a factory, but IMHO, it is the dealer that should be catching the mistakes before it gets released to the customer.

I have not purchased a new RV, but it would seem to me that there should be some kind of checklist that the dealer signs off on. When a building is built, there is something called a "punch list" where the engineers, builders, architects and customers all walk through and make sure everything that was spec'ed out is done. Anything that is not completed is put on the punch list and is corrected before the keys to building are handed over and the contractors get their money.

Do Dealers have Punch lists?
If not, they should. And maybe we should keep a list of dealers that are selling crap to customers, so we can warn folks.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:01 PM   #2

I think the problem is two fold...1) It depends on on dealer with regards to how thorough a job they do and you do with the PDI; 2) after we drive off with the unit tow them down the road for a distance, things come loose and "just happen".

I've had a bunch of problems...some minor, some major, but all in all I'm happy with the 5er I chose. I think my dealer could do a better job with regards to customer service, but I now think that they are trying, as they hired a new manager over the service dept and thus far has been much better from my experiences.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHolt View Post

I know that lemons can ship from a factory, but IMHO, it is the dealer that should be catching the mistakes before it gets released to the customer.
That is the biggest problem, some dealers can't find qualified PDI staff or just don't care.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #4

You have to remember, the only commentary you will see online, for the most part are folks that have a problem and are trying to figure out the issue or are simply venting. Keep in mind there are 10's of 1000's of Jayco customers who are completely satisfied with their unit whom you never hear from.... Just saying...

Royal Canadian Air Force - Ret
2016 Eagle 321 RSTS
2016 F350
jwmercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:03 PM   #5

^^ what they said, ALL forums are like that, many unhappy people and some very enthusiastic people. I don't know of one thing everyone would be happy to have, there will always be a (or several) haters.

Such is life...
Old 08-18-2016, 07:09 PM   #6
Site Team

Yes you hear about the bad experiences, but if you check our dealer satisfaction poll, initial quality poll, and quality after two years poll, it becomes clear the majority are satisfied with their dealer and their unit.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmercer View Post
You have to remember, the only commentary you will see online, for the most part are folks that have a problem and are trying to figure out the issue or are simply venting. Keep in mind there are 10's of 1000's of Jayco customers who are completely satisfied with their unit whom you never hear from.... Just saying...
This is exactly what folks use specific product forums for. I belong here and to the Ford F150 Forum. If an uninformed person just happened to drop in they would run like hell from both products. It would seem like there is not a road worthy Jayco RV or an F150 to pull them...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:30 PM   #8

My dealer did a solid 2.5 3 hour PDI with me,he assured me he tested everything but wanted to show me again how things work and that they work,he actually pointed out 2 pieces of brokeb trim that he had already noted and they were gonna be ordered.Being new to trailers I felt comfortable leaving especially that our maiden voyage was the same day we picked it up.But my salesman and PDI guy both told me,Listen,things happen as it gets used,take it out,enjoy it work out any bugs that may come up,which I did and only had a few issues that they fixed when the new moulding pieces came in.Like other people said,things get bounced around when towing,wood gets chips and scuffs when a family is staying in them and some issues are just plain bad workmanship,but you take it out and enjoy it and take it in during winter for repairs

2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 314BHDS

IBEW local 94 Electrical Worker
314BHDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
This is exactly what folks use specific product forums for. I belong here and to the Ford F150 Forum. If an uninformed person just happened to drop in they would run like hell from both products. It would seem like there is not a road worthy Jayco RV or an F150 to pull them...

This is a true statement. I often try to impart into a "this is crap" thread some contradictory experience. Usually I am ostracized for swimming against the current.

My experience with my Jayco has been since October 2014. I've only had a single broken component, but I have not whined about it, or Jayco. I might not even bother with a warranty claim.

I've replaced a tire.

I broke a door jam.

I needed to replace an LED.

I am building a queen bed support system.

None of those are Jaycos' fault: they are due to my 18 weekends per season camping schedule. That's severe duty!

Craig Bailey
New England
2007 Chevy 2500HD crew
2015 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:56 PM   #10

We only buy used and I prefer to do most all things myself.
I think there's a bigger segment of our community that should at least rent prior to purchase and perhaps do that every time they have the itch to camp in an RV.
These things depreciate more than anything else I have ever owned, and don't like to sit. Many people use their RVs at most twice a year.
We are fortunate enough to live in a temperate climate and use ours at least once a month.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:10 PM   #11

Quote:
I have been noticing a trend on these boards that go something like this:
  1. Customer buys brand spanking new shiny RV
  2. Brand spanking new shiny RV Has a bunch of issues, some minor, some major that are not discovered until they take them out on the road.
  3. Customer is pissed off.
  4. Customer comes on the forums asking "Is this normal?"

So my question is this: Aren't the dealers supposed to pre-check these things to make sure that they are road worthy? Wouldn't that include testing all of the major components: Plumbing, electrical, cooling, heating, engine, etc?

I have not purchased a new RV, but it would seem to me that there should be some kind of checklist that the dealer signs off on. When a building is built, there is something called a "punch list" where the engineers, builders, architects and customers all walk through and make sure everything that was spec'ed out is done. Anything that is not completed is put on the punch list and is corrected before the keys to building are handed over and the contractors get their money.

Do Dealers have Punch lists?
If not, they should. And maybe we should keep a list of dealers that are selling crap to customers, so we can warn folks.

The way I see it is that the dealer is the FIRST Jayco's customer. Jayco is the one responsible to build a quality product, its not the job of a dealer IMHO to take part of the construction. The product should be tested and inspected before departure from the plant.......but we all know that its not happening. The poor dealers ( many are perfectly honest ) with their limited ressources have to pick up the mess left by the majors.

The piece of junk I bought is getting fixed by my dealer, again and again and what is beeing fixed is the end result of Jayco manufacturing and design. Yes some dealers are to blame, but ultimately its the Jayco company that is responsible for the vast majority of the problem reported here, the problems on TT are like everything else , they often originate from the source.

Beleive me I wanted to love my trailer its my first one, I was trying to be rational, not emotional, but hey its one problem after the other, the warranty will run out in 5 months ..... maybe ill sell it then, but to buy what ? From who ? They are all the same ...Im very disapointed, very .....

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:17 PM   #12

Quote:
And maybe we should keep a list of dealers that are selling crap to customers, so we can warn folks.
O.K. go ahead and start one! I'm also seeing a trend on this forum...posts that make no sense.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:31 PM   #13

Don't get me wrong here..I am totally in love with my Harvey the RV.In my opinion, it was well built and it works just fine.
..I was just noticing things..and it makes sense that people that have problems show up in the forums with their problems hoping that we can solve them.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:41 AM   #14

When reading post on any forum, one has to consider “human nature” and sort it out in one’s mind. Some, whether they will admit it or not, have the attitude, “I paid thirty thousand for a toy I can’t justify owning thus it should be perfect.”, so, these people will nitpick everything about it. They are going to find something wrong with it and be on the forum complaining, this went wrong, that went wrong, etc. trying to lay blame for normal life occurrences. “Why didn’t the dealer find that loose cabinet door hinge?”
The thousands of people that don’t complain and just accept that “things happen”, you will never here from.
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:55 AM   #15

We bought a brand spanking new RV...but it's not our first Jayco, it's number 3! We have been very satisfied with Jayco (although this one has had more issues than our other 2 combined)
I jumped on the forum to seek the advice/knowledge of the great minds on here not to necessarily complain.
I think this is a great network and when I have problems to speak to other owners who might have had the same issue is one of the reasons for it!
Owning an RV brings us a great amount of joy and most of us are hooked! But let's be honest...they are like owning an infant...they need constant care and feeding, if you don't keep constant watch over them they will eventually cause a lot of heartache! I don't think everyone realizes that, and therefore they are greatly disappointed. We will continue to hunt down the answers to our issues when they arrive and take it as part of the deal! The joy out ways the aggravation most days!
Camp on!
Salliemeandering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:12 AM   #16

Have only owned two fivers and in the next 4 days will have my first MH. We sold everything and traveled full time for 3 years in our first new fiver.

I found out that these things take a lot of maintenance time. Water heaters have to be drained, cleaned and checked, bearings have to be serviced, water fittings/connections have to be checked and tightened every so often, tanks must be flushed and properly maintained, slides have to be properly lubricated, slide seals must be cleaned and treated.....etc.....etc......

I was a member of another forum much like this one for the brand of my other fivers. I quickly learned all the maintenance items that had to be completed on a regular schedule to prevent problems and issues. As a full timer traveling I probably spent an average of 4 or 5 hours on maintenance every week.

RV's are not like cars or homes, the quality is just not the same. You can not go banging and bouncing down the road and expect them to be perfect.
FLHTK-JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHTK-JOE View Post
Have only owned two fivers and in the next 4 days will have my first MH. We sold everything and traveled full time for 3 years in our first new fiver.

I found out that these things take a lot of maintenance time. Water heaters have to be drained, cleaned and checked, bearings have to be serviced, water fittings/connections have to be checked and tightened every so often, tanks must be flushed and properly maintained, slides have to be properly lubricated, slide seals must be cleaned and treated.....etc.....etc......

I was a member of another forum much like this one for the brand of my other fivers. I quickly learned all the maintenance items that had to be completed on a regular schedule to prevent problems and issues. As a full timer traveling I probably spent an average of 4 or 5 hours on maintenance every week.

RV's are not like cars or homes, the quality is just not the same. You can not go banging and bouncing down the road and expect them to be perfect.
Most of us understand that, must of us care about their equipment. ill talk for me now, Whats hurting is the half built product they are selling ! Nobody will convince me that it is normal to spend that amount of money for the workmanship delivered in the product. Jayco had a good reputation but the way it is now its not going to be that way for long

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:58 AM   #18
Site Team

When you buy a rv, unless you have some money left over, You have a new hobby.

As stated, regular maintenance and fixing little problems before they become big problems will become a routine thing. A side benefit is you learn your equipment and know when something is not right.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 11:06 AM   #19

Look at how complex RV's have become and you can see why they have issues. Compare a new motorhome today with a Winnebago from the early eighties. My brother won't buy a Motorhome with slides, hydraulic jacks, frameless windows and keyless locks. I have had issues with all these and more with my Precept 31ul.
preceptjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:44 AM   #20

I think many folks become disappointed in the quality of their RV's because they are looking at the price totally wrong. I don't have exact figures, but just based on some pricing I have seen and what a retired dealer once told me, from manufacturer to dealer there is about a 100% markup. In other words, if your RV has a MSRP of $130,000, sure the dealer can put it on "sale" for $97,500. Most people think they are getting a heck of a deal and they are getting a reduced price for sure. But in reality there is still room in the deal because the dealer probably only paid the manufacturer around $65,000 to $70,000 for that unit in the first place.

So now if you look at what the actual builder of that RV "sold" it to the dealer for maybe your expectations would not be so high for the quality. If the manufacturer can let it go for $65,000, he is still making money on building it, so there is only maybe $45,000 in material and labor involved.

So in summary when you drive off in your new RV that you got on sale for $100,000 it only cost $45,000 to produce so base your expectations on that.
FLHTK-JOE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealers, lemons