Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
OK, I admit it, I'm plenty scared!

I pick up my 32 BHDS next week. Its my first TT and its big.

I have never towed before, and just the thought of navigating that beast down residential streets to my house has me worried. I can't even think of a campsite yet.

Any words of encouragement and/or advice, from trailer owners, large or small would be appreciated. Gotta get my heart rate down!

ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #2
I have not owned mine for a long time, but have hauled a lot of large loads over the years. Here is what comes to my mind.

1. Take your time, dont get in a hurry.
2. Watch for low hanging obstructions (trees, power lines).
3. Practice backing and manuevering in a big empty lot.
4. Use towing extended mirrors.
5. Test the brakes before hitting the road.
6. Be mindful of wind. Cross winds can affect sway and acceleration.
7. Check tire condition if it is used.

I use a spotter (wife) when possible when I back it in the yard or a campsite.

I know there is a lot more to consider, this is just what came to my mind.

1993 Jayco Jay Series RK3050 5th wheel
1995 GMC 3500 SRW with a lil' ole carburated Vortec 350 I built myself.
Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #3
Just a suggestion is to add one:

8. Take turns wide and watch your tires in the mirror to clear curbs.
9. Don't be afraid to back up and try again. Everyone around will just have to wait.

Have fun.
2008 Jayco 322FKS, Hemi, Hensley, Oreo the Malshi, DW and I

Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log
dalenoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
before backing, scan the area so you know what to expect in your mirrors. pick out land marks
2010 Siverado LTZ Crew Cab
2010 Jayco 23J
E2 w/ Prodigy
SBruman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
Someone told us to watch this video when we goy our tailer. It explains some concepts using matchbox cars, my husband says it really helped him.

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: http://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: http://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #6
You can also go to a large parking lot at a school or Walmart and practice backing in and keeping inside the painted lines.

We all were worried just like you... After a couple hundred miles under your belt heading down the road you can relax the death grip you got on the steering wheel haha...

My first trip home after picking up my fifth wheel trailer was a two hour blinding down pour all the way home. Talk about a death grip haha...

You will eventually start enjoing it... Trailer should follow your every move just fine. I always watch the trailer wheels and not worry so much about how high in the air it is...

Also folks will tend to look out for you as you are pretty much bigger than they are hehe...

No sudden moves going down the roads and always use your signals... There may just be someone in your blind spot. Everyone has blinds spots so be sure to find yours so you can be aware of it and what might be hiding in it...

My big fear and even still today is getting off the road and pulling into gas stations etc... I end up picking my stops at places I have been to already. Before pulling into a place always sike out to yourself how to get out of there before you turn into it. Some places dont have a back door. Then you learn real quick how to back up a long trailer without seeing whats behind you. I have unhooked which isn't a good idea and gone back for fuel with my truck. You gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.

Return the hat/cap tip when the truckers give you one...
Roy and Carolyn
I claim Horse Creek Country in Southern Ill - Momabear is from North Texas
We live in King George VA

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #7
so much for starting small!
2009 Jayco 19H, 2007 Toyota Tundra....

yeah, i have plans for retirement... i plan to turn my on-off switch to 'off'.....
squidmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:27 AM   #8
Biiggest thing is to take your time and don't worry about anything else but putting it where you want it. Most others will understand your situation and stay out of your way. But if you encounter some smart aleck who is in a big hurry to get to the convenience store, just ask him for some help while he's waiting.
2003 Ford F-350 V-10 Crew Cab 4WD Long Bed
2004 Jayco Designer Medallion 29 RLTS 5th wheel
Bill, Gayle, and Mindi (dachshund)
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:57 AM   #9
Residential streets can be a problem when turning corners, especially if cars are allowed to park by the curb. If you pull to the left lane when approaching a right-hand turn you'll have less of a chance of the TT climbing the curb and taking out that fire hydrant! For a left-hander, approach far to the right and drive well into the intersection before starting your turn. Nice clean 90 degree turn, no sliding into it or you might get the hydrant on that side. And some of those cul-de-sacs get real small in a hurry.

Drive ahead, have a plan before leaving the road. That's for gas stations, parking lots, your own driveway. I got into a tight situation in a packed Walmart once.

As just about everyone has said, take your time, don't get rattled by some jerk. Have a good time with it.
'11 Eagle 320RLDS
'02 F350 PSD Dually 4WD
DW's Ride, '13 Expedition
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:28 AM   #10
As everyone is saying, take wide turns and ALWAYS use your mirrors. The trailer will cut the turn tighter than the tow vehicle, so you need to be careful. When at the campground, don't be afraid to ask for help. Many guys are more than willing to help guide you in, and will get you out of any jam you might get into and will even back it up for you.

Most of all, don't stress out over the mechanics of driving. Take your time, look twice and you'll be fine.

Karl - Southeast, NY
2011 Jayco Super Lite 30.5 BHLT
2003 Ford F250 Lariat 6.0 PowerStroke Turbo Diesel My mods Bathroom Door Water Filter TV mount Cork Board
Streamline your A/C
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote