Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #1

OK, I admit it, I'm plenty scared!

I pick up my 32 BHDS next week. Its my first TT and its big.

I have never towed before, and just the thought of navigating that beast down residential streets to my house has me worried. I can't even think of a campsite yet.

Any words of encouragement and/or advice, from trailer owners, large or small would be appreciated. Gotta get my heart rate down!

Thanks.

Ensign
ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #2

I have not owned mine for a long time, but have hauled a lot of large loads over the years. Here is what comes to my mind.

1. Take your time, dont get in a hurry.
2. Watch for low hanging obstructions (trees, power lines).
3. Practice backing and manuevering in a big empty lot.
4. Use towing extended mirrors.
5. Test the brakes before hitting the road.
6. Be mindful of wind. Cross winds can affect sway and acceleration.
7. Check tire condition if it is used.

I use a spotter (wife) when possible when I back it in the yard or a campsite.

I know there is a lot more to consider, this is just what came to my mind.

1993 Jayco Jay Series RK3050 5th wheel
1995 GMC 3500 SRW with a lil' ole carburated Vortec 350 I built myself.
Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #3

Just a suggestion is to add one:

8. Take turns wide and watch your tires in the mirror to clear curbs.
9. Don't be afraid to back up and try again. Everyone around will just have to wait.

Have fun.

Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log
dalenoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #4

before backing, scan the area so you know what to expect in your mirrors. pick out land marks
SBruman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #5

Someone told us to watch this video when we goy our tailer. It explains some concepts using matchbox cars, my husband says it really helped him.

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #6

You can also go to a large parking lot at a school or Walmart and practice backing in and keeping inside the painted lines.

We all were worried just like you... After a couple hundred miles under your belt heading down the road you can relax the death grip you got on the steering wheel haha...

My first trip home after picking up my fifth wheel trailer was a two hour blinding down pour all the way home. Talk about a death grip haha...

You will eventually start enjoing it... Trailer should follow your every move just fine. I always watch the trailer wheels and not worry so much about how high in the air it is...

Also folks will tend to look out for you as you are pretty much bigger than they are hehe...

No sudden moves going down the roads and always use your signals... There may just be someone in your blind spot. Everyone has blinds spots so be sure to find yours so you can be aware of it and what might be hiding in it...

My big fear and even still today is getting off the road and pulling into gas stations etc... I end up picking my stops at places I have been to already. Before pulling into a place always sike out to yourself how to get out of there before you turn into it. Some places dont have a back door. Then you learn real quick how to back up a long trailer without seeing whats behind you. I have unhooked which isn't a good idea and gone back for fuel with my truck. You gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.

Return the hat/cap tip when the truckers give you one...
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #7

so much for starting small!

yeah, i have plans for retirement... i plan to turn my on-off switch to 'off'.....
squidmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:27 AM   #8

Biiggest thing is to take your time and don't worry about anything else but putting it where you want it. Most others will understand your situation and stay out of your way. But if you encounter some smart aleck who is in a big hurry to get to the convenience store, just ask him for some help while he's waiting.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:57 AM   #9

Residential streets can be a problem when turning corners, especially if cars are allowed to park by the curb. If you pull to the left lane when approaching a right-hand turn you'll have less of a chance of the TT climbing the curb and taking out that fire hydrant! For a left-hander, approach far to the right and drive well into the intersection before starting your turn. Nice clean 90 degree turn, no sliding into it or you might get the hydrant on that side. And some of those cul-de-sacs get real small in a hurry.

Drive ahead, have a plan before leaving the road. That's for gas stations, parking lots, your own driveway. I got into a tight situation in a packed Walmart once.

As just about everyone has said, take your time, don't get rattled by some jerk. Have a good time with it.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:28 AM   #10

As everyone is saying, take wide turns and ALWAYS use your mirrors. The trailer will cut the turn tighter than the tow vehicle, so you need to be careful. When at the campground, don't be afraid to ask for help. Many guys are more than willing to help guide you in, and will get you out of any jam you might get into and will even back it up for you.

Most of all, don't stress out over the mechanics of driving. Take your time, look twice and you'll be fine.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:44 AM   #11

If you come to something in the road, (deer, animal, car spin out in front of you), do not try to swerve around the obstacle. That trailer will put you upside down in the ditch every time. It happened to my brother trying to avoid a deer. Totaled everything and nearly lost his son.
Added Bedroom light switch and outlet https://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=7582
dlfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #12

The biggest things I can think of (all already mentioned here):

Don't get in a hurry

Plan ahead - the easiest tough spot to get out of is the one you don't get into.

Towing mirrors are a must.

Also, use a checklist while hooking / unhooking if this is your first camper. Don't rely on memory. Do a "final check" the same way every time. Before we leave, I make sure everyone is in the car, and follow the same sequence of checks every time. If interrupted, I start over. To quote a phrase we used when jumping out of airplanes in the Army - the first day you take it for granted should be the last day you jump.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #13

Thanks to everyone for your advice/encouragement

My wife will be my co-pilot, and I will take it slow and easy

When on the highway I will always look for those Flying J's to fill up. If the 18 wheelers can fill up there, so can I.

I will post some pics on my first trip out.
ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #14

I have driven tractor trailer for 15 years, and the best advice I can give is trust your mirrors. Most people in cars don't use their mirrors like they should. When towing a TT you have to. What you see is true. Trust what you see in the mirror. And take your time. Good luck!
Old 06-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #15
Site Team

Good advice given here! Relax, have fun, and good luck!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by familybonding View Post
I have driven tractor trailer for 15 years, and the best advice I can give is trust your mirrors. Most people in cars don't use their mirrors like they should. When towing a TT you have to. What you see is true. Trust what you see in the mirror. And take your time. Good luck!

THAT is great advice!!!

also, one thing i notice... and mrs. squidmo used to do this... most people like to have the mirrors aimed right down the side of the vehicle.... ie: the side of the TV or rig taking up much of the field of view...

yep, that's a good view of your rig, but your trailer or TV isn't gonna sneak up on you!!! that dude in your blind spot will!

i always aim my side mirrors out to my known blind spots, or at least run out a bit further..... much more effective (more so when you aren't towing!)...

i drive in massive traffic every day (commute into Houston)... i can't imagine having the side mirrors aimed straight back... useless....lights in your eyes the entire trip, and with 6 lanes, a car can move into the lane next to you, and you won't even know it.

some might think this hinders being able to locate where you are in reference to other vehicles, but it really doesn't... in fact, this gives the person in the shotgun seat a perfect view of the side of the TV, trailer... they can keep an easy eye on your tires, without having to lean over into your view out of the mirror..

EDIT: another thing i've noticed in some of the newer designed vehicles... the rear view mirrors are too low on the windshield, especially for a tall guy like me, that big rear view can block a car you could pull out in front of..... i put them as close to the roof as i can... i've even removed them, and re-located them on some cars i've owned.

same issue with some of the A-pillars of the newer vehicles, they are HUGE...! i've had cars completely blocked by the A-pillar... scared the #*&#$ of me first time it happened. look twice!

yeah, i have plans for retirement... i plan to turn my on-off switch to 'off'.....
Old 06-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #17

one other thing that came to mind - when you are on the interstate or other non-residential road that is faster, be sure to leave plenty of space between you and the vehicle ahead in which to get stopped or slowed in an emergency, and look out for the idiot who has no idea that a TV and trailer cannot stop on a dime, who will dart in front of you and step on his brakes. In other words, drive extra defensively. Last comment - every last one of us was scared or at least nervous on our first trip out, but we got through it and you will, too. Good luck and we hope to meet you sometime down the road.

Bill & Gayle
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidmotion View Post
so much for starting small!

Ive learned to take your time and let those in a hurry pass. Good tow mirrors with blind spot mirrors are a must. You will be fine after you get the feel of things going down the road. LOL a 16' er is enough for me right now to drag around. post up some pics when you can.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #19

There is a lot of good knowledge here. As everyone said take your time. I rarely go over 60 when pulling. I like to find a slower trucker and hangout behind him.

When you are going to back into your campsite or driveway, pull up and stop. GET OUT and discuss your plan with your copilot. Most campgrounds I go to have gravel roads, and I use my heel to scribe a short line to tell my DW where the bumper needs to be past before I start backing up. Backing up is almost like a good game of Chess, you need to think at least 3 moves ahead. One thing my DW has troubles with is understanding how long it takes to swing the rear end around with backing in. Take your time.

One additional thing I told my DW and Kid, when I am backing up, “If you cannot see me in my mirrors I cannot see you.” I have been known to just stop, and wait or get out to see what’s going on.

One last thing. Don’ criticize your help. Offer helpful tips and careful explain the issues. Your co pilot probably has never driven with a TT ether and doesn’t fully understand the issues.

Good luck and congratulations!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:21 AM   #20

by the way, and i feel like a moron... but what is a 'DW.'

dish washer?
divorced widow? (after above comment?)
delightful wench....err woman?
driver waker?