Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-04-2014, 08:52 PM   #21

I purchased a set of the lynx stop and chocks to use with the lynx blocks. I didn't like the idea of not being to chock the side on the levelers very well. I bought the stop and chocks at the dealer, but they are also available on the web at various places. May be worth the piece of mind. We also have c-chocks, but they are last on first off due to tire rotation when the tongue is lifted and lowered. The tires need to be able to move slightly with tongue movement.
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:24 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue View Post
If I can only chock one side because of leveling blocks I chock that one side with one behind rear tire and one chock in front of front tire that way it cant roll ether direction and it does work.
I do this as well.

If I am on a slope heading away from the TV, I will chain up to the TV before releasing pressure on the stabilizers, removing any chocks, or repositioning the tongue jack... if I can reasonably do so. That way, if something gives way the trailer won't be able to move much since the chains should prevent it.

If I am on a slope heading toward the TV I'll raise the front stabilizers only and then lower the tongue onto the ball before taking away anything else that might be holding the trailer in position.

I have had the trailer slip once and I was very relieved I had already chained up. The trailer rolled back about 6 inches and that was it. Without the chains who knows what would have / could have happened.
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:48 AM   #23

On my last camping trip just a couple of weeks ago, I had my camper slip and roll a few inches while disconnecting from my ball. I later determined that the root cause was twofold:

1) I hadn't lubed my ball / receiver in a few trips and it was not letting go as easily.
2) I had put on the wheel stop chock that I use on one side of the camper but hadn't tightened it fully. When the ball released with the snap, it just twisted the chock to the side.

I was on leveling blocks on one side and the back blocks actually stopped the trailer from rolling. My biggest issue was that my tongue jack slipped off the board and buried itself in the ground.

As a result:

1) I lubed the ball and now have it on my pre-departure checklist to do/check every time.
2) I will tighten the wheel stop chock that I have tighter.
3) I have purchased and will use a second one for the other side.
4) I purchased a set of wheel chocks to slip under the tires on the side that isn't being leveled. Steps 3-4 should give me three points of failure versus the previous setup which had a single point of failure.
5) I'm also going to use the tip above about keeping my chains attached until everything is disconnected and secure. While the chains wouldn't have helped there, the fact is that if my trailer had rolled further, it would have rolled right into the electrical pedastal that was about 4' behind my trailer. That would not have been pretty.
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:19 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue View Post
If I can only chock one side because of leveling blocks I chock that one side with one behind rear tire and one chock in front of front tire that way it cant roll ether direction and it does work.
When I had my single axle pop-up, I use to do this also. But, I discovered the hard way that yes it will still move. That one chocked tire will just act as a pivot. After that I always chocked both sides.