Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-14-2014, 07:22 PM   #1

Opinions on Repair?

We purchased a new 2014 Whitehawk 28DSBH back in the spring. We had a leaky water supply line fitting to the water heater. Talked to the dealer, he said to try tightening it. I did and it didn't leak for a couple of months. On one of our week long trips, it started leaking again. We kept an eye on it and brought it in for repair after the trip. The dealer replaced 10" of the supply line, a valve, and the fitting. First trip out after that, no leaks. The trip after that, as soon as I fired the heater up (propane), the heater FLOODED the whole back storage compartment under the bunk where the heater is located. Also on the way home from that trip, a spring broke in one of the wheels and started dragging the brake. The dealer had to make a trip to my house to repair the wheel before it could be towed back to the dealer to have the water heater repaired. So the dealer called today after having the trailer for about 4 days and said the heater was repaired. He said it had a pin hole leak and they welded it, pressurized it, heated it up, and nothing leaks now. I'm just wondering if anyone out there has a opinion on this repair method.
Caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:40 PM   #2

I would run it when you get it home and make darn sure that it doesn't leak. I don't understand how a new heater could have a pin hole.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:03 PM   #3

I would not want a welded repair on a water heater, it doesn't sound right to me. I would contact the water heater manufacture.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:37 AM   #4

I think a replacement of the heater is in order. You paid for a quality product not a repaired product that may fail in the future. I would start with the dealer and then go to Jayco if necessary. Let us know how it goes.
CharlieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandcarol View Post
I would not want a welded repair on a water heater, it doesn't sound right to me. I would contact the water heater manufacture.
I second this idea. Contact the manufacturer and ask them what they consider an acceptable repair of this situation would be. If they say a spot weld is sufficient, there you go. If they say the unit would need to be replaced... contact Jayco and push the issue.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:26 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieC View Post
I think a replacement of the heater is in order. You paid for a quality product not a repaired product that may fail in the future. I would start with the dealer and then go to Jayco if necessary. Let us know how it goes.
I agree. At the very least they should have used a new tank, not a patch job.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:18 PM   #7

I picked up the camper from the dealer today. After a long discussion, I have more details about what was wrong with it and how it was repaired. The electric heating element threads into a fittings that is welded (from the factory) into the tank. There was a pin hole in the weld around the fitting. Sometimes it would leak while heating up or cooling down. They sent out the tank to a welding shop down the road from the dealership to have that fitting re welded into the tank. Dealer said this is approved and paid for by Jayco.
The wheel issue was a spring that broke and allowed the shoe adjuster to fall down into the brake drum and it caused a lot of drag. They replaced the parts they needed to and Dexter is paying that warranty claim I was told.
Caleb is offline   Reply With Quote