Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #1

Other than Antifreeze What Else Do You Do When You Store Your RV

Curious if anyone takes in their flatscreen, propane tanks or anything else when you store your trailer for the winter? Do you leave anything in your trailer?

2014 Whitehawk 33BHBS
Equilizer WDH
2023 F350 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7l 3.31
2014 F250 4X4 Crew Cab 6.2 l 3.73 (sold)
2010 F150 4X4 Supercrew 4.6l 3.73 (traded in)
t2daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #2

Re: Other than Antifreeze What Else Do You Do When You Store Your RV

The only thing we remove are the liquids that will freeze, been operating that way for years. The dealers and the factories don' t remove the TV's and they are shipped in unheated trucks.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #3

I remove the battery and store it in my basement, I will trickle charge it periodically over the winter (check water level too). Other than that, I only clean the unit from top to bottom, ensuring any food items that might encourage any little fury friends from making home.

Usually while cleaning I will inspect and try to fix anything that I find.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #4

I don't take the flat screens in. From what I understand they are fine in the cold as long as they are warmed up before use. We remove all food or edible products or appliances that might contain food from use such as the toaster. Also anything that would be adversely affected by freezing, like pressurized spray containers or cleaning products. You should pay attention to mosquito repellants, twice I have had the metal spray cans corrode on their own and the contents bled out, regardless of the temperature. Lucky they were in a larger plastic rectangular tray type container. The first time I thought it was just bad luck, the second time I realized it was a reoccurring issue.
Any electronic battery operated devices like remote controls, detectors, radios, walkie talkies are brouhgt in. Clothing is left in the RV. 12v batteries in doors as well.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #5

In addition to regular maintenance items, here is what we do to winterize the 5th wheel:

At last use I make sure the black and gray tanks are completely empty.

Fresh water system:
•Drain fresh water tank
•Remove inside and outside shower hoses
•Remove water filters
•Blow out all water lines with compressed air (DW works the faucets and low point drains while I'm at the compressor)
•Pump antifreeze to the toilet (the one time I did not do this I had to replace a cracked toilet valve in the spring)
•Pour antifreeze into the p traps

Set the refrigerator and freezer door to remain ajar with a container of baking soda in each

Remove batteries from smoke detector, flashlights, remote controls, etc.

Remove house batteries and put in heated garage with a Battery Minder on them

What else am I missing as the 5W is at the storage lot with my list in it, so this is shooting from the hip!

'06 2500 Silverado 4X4, Duramax LBZ Diesel, Firestone air bags
'08 Tracker Pro Guide V-16 Boat
'12 Pinnacle 31RLTS
taviking22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by taviking22 View Post
In addition to regular maintenance items, here is what we do to winterize the 5th wheel:

At last use I make sure the black and gray tanks are completely empty.

Fresh water system:
•Drain fresh water tank
•Remove inside and outside shower hoses
•Remove water filters
•Blow out all water lines with compressed air (DW works the faucets and low point drains while I'm at the compressor)
•Pump antifreeze to the toilet (the one time I did not do this I had to replace a cracked toilet valve in the spring)
•Pour antifreeze into the p traps

Set the refrigerator and freezer door to remain ajar with a container of baking soda in each

Remove batteries from smoke detector, flashlights, remote controls, etc.

Remove house batteries and put in heated garage with a Battery Minder on them

What else am I missing as the 5W is at the storage lot with my list in it, so this is shooting from the hip!
I didn't think about the batteries, especially in the smoke and carbon dioxide detectors. I was planing on removing the 12v battery and putting it in my garage. I will definately put some baking soda in the fridge and block the doors open. The catch that is supposed to keep the door from closing, seems to not work reliably so I'll put a piece of foam in the door and tape it in place.

Any prefferences on linens and other things like kitchen utensils etc?

BTW, can you pull the trailer with the 12V battery removed and just rely on the 7 pin connector for the brakes, or do you remove the battery after you get to the storage facility?

Thanks

2014 Whitehawk 33BHBS
Equilizer WDH
Old 10-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #7

Other than Antifreeze What Else Do You Do When You Store Your RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2daniel View Post
I didn't think about the batteries, especially in the smoke and carbon dioxide detectors. I was planing on removing the 12v battery and putting it in my garage. I will definately put some baking soda in the fridge and block the doors open. The catch that is supposed to keep the door from closing, seems to not work reliably so I'll put a piece of foam in the door and tape it in place.

Any prefferences on linens and other things like kitchen utensils etc?

BTW, can you pull the trailer with the 12V battery removed and just rely on the 7 pin connector for the brakes, or do you remove the battery after you get to the storage facility?

Thanks
On my 29qbh the battery has to be installed or you have no brakes on the trailer. Speaking from experience.
Ed1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #8

battery is also required to activate the break-away switch in event of trailer disconnecting from TV on the road. We also remove all cleaning products and use them up in the house over the winter. I take down my smoke detector and put it in the house for the winter as well.
232,500 kms in 2013
200,000 kms in 2014
160,000 kms in 2015
greenenvy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenenvy1 View Post
battery is also required to activate the break-away switch in event of trailer disconnecting from TV on the road. We also remove all cleaning products and use them up in the house over the winter. I take down my smoke detector and put it in the house for the winter as well.
Good point about the break away switch. The reason I asked is I did a "test Tow" before I bought the trailier to see how my TV would handle my 33 foot rig. The trailer didn't have a battery installed at the time and we went about 10 miles on the trip. Some back roads and about 4 miles of interstate. I guess for that short trip the dealer was willing to take the risk, but now that it's mine I don't want to

2014 Whitehawk 33BHBS
Equilizer WDH
Old 10-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #10

We used to put covers over the vents so I could find them in the deep snow. Something that sticks up so you will know where they are if you have to remove snow. This includes the small pipes that extend through the roof.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Good point about the break away switch. The reason I asked is I did a "test Tow" before I bought the trailier to see how my TV would handle my 33 foot rig. The trailer didn't have a battery installed at the time and we went about 10 miles on the trip. Some back roads and about 4 miles of interstate. I guess for that short trip the dealer was willing to take the risk, but now that it's mine I don't want to
Sorry but the dealer didnt take the risk, he knew that if anything had have happened this would have been your responsibility, at that point you and your insurance would have been dishing out for any damages, once you hook anything up to your truck, it becomes your responsibility.

Several years ago I test drove a brand new chevy duelly, the salesman was guiding me back and even he didnt see it, but a 3 foot pole on their sales lot was in the way and I backed into it punching a hole in the wheel housing, the dealer wanted my license and insurance info after the fact and I refused to give him the info, after about 30 minutes of arguing with him and his manager, I just walked out, I never heard anything from him and I never set foot on his business again, neither did any of my friends and family.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:21 PM   #12

We remove all food and any containers with liquid which could freeze. I also place a couple of damp-rid jars in the rv to reduce any moisture build up (from when we do our monthly visit and run the furnace).
Black tank Quick-e Flush, MaxxAir Vent cover, TV bracket and LCD TV, added Slideout awning, bunk ladder, added socket and reading light to top bunk, added bathroom fan switch near light switch, insulated all externally accessible storage, sealed pass through storage from interior of trailer, LED lights throughout, added LED lights to storage compartments
EnricoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoG View Post
We remove all food and any containers with liquid which could freeze. I also place a couple of damp-rid jars in the rv to reduce any moisture build up (from when we do our monthly visit and run the furnace).
Where do you get the damp rid jars?

Also does anyone cover their AC unit? I was reading the Jayco owners manuel last night and they recommend an AC cover, blocking off any opening including the furnace exhust and using a breathable cover? Any thoughts on these steps?

Thanks

2014 Whitehawk 33BHBS
Equilizer WDH
Old 10-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Where do you get the damp rid jars?
I got them a couple years ago at an RV supplies store, but you can get them on Amazon.

I don't cover the AC or block any of the openings - but I do pay a lot for covered storage.
Black tank Quick-e Flush, MaxxAir Vent cover, TV bracket and LCD TV, added Slideout awning, bunk ladder, added socket and reading light to top bunk, added bathroom fan switch near light switch, insulated all externally accessible storage, sealed pass through storage from interior of trailer, LED lights throughout, added LED lights to storage compartments
EnricoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #15

Propane hoses and trailer plug for lights?

Just wondering what folks do with the propane hoses after the propane tanks are taken off. Last year I wrapped then in a plastice bag and taped the bag closed.

Also what so you do with the light cord plug that runs to your tow vehicle? I did the same plastic bag and tape job but the plug had a lot of moisture in it when I opened it this spring.

We had a snowy winter and rainy spring in the Northeast!
Luv2camp51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #16

Just leave the power cord out. Put some dielectric grease on to prevent corrosion and you will be set. Try to hang it so it faces down.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #17

Ours is stored in a covered building on our farm but we still cover the outside openings with thick paper to help keep out spiders. A friend learned the hard way from not doing that. I take everything out of the drawers & cabinets and store in rubbermaid containers that I keep in the trailer over winter. I periodically check the camper for any sign of mice and I also use Damp rid. So far, so good!