Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-17-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
Site Team

Our Jayco, the two year report, 4 year report, 5 year report, 6 year, 7 year report

Well it is hard to believe but we have had our Jayco 28BHS two years as of yesterday, Oct. 16. We all know that`s it for the warranty, which I`m happy to say was used very little. The fit, finish, and overall quality has been very good so far. If there were any initial problems or issues, the dealer must have taken care of them before our walk through because I went over the entire unit and tested every system the night we bought it in the CG near the dealer. There were no cosmetic or mechanical issues. None.

Since then I have had to replace the toilet water valve module which developed a leak, Thetford sent me a new one which I installed. That was the only warranty claim I had to pursue in the two years and the unit has not been back to a dealer. I did make a minor adjustment a few months ago myself on the slide which was not sealing properly on one corner due to misalignment, simply had to loosen the bolts on the slide bracket, slightly jack up the slide, realign, then tighten the bolts. I suppose this would be a warranty issue for some but an easy fix for me. Now the slide is straight and seats properly. The ac bolts were not loose as reported by some, and to my knowledge there have been no leaks, but I watch the sealants closely and touch up when necessary. The ptrap under the kitchen sink came loose during a trip, and I tightened it up and that was that. A few squeaks in the floor that come and go, not a biggie either. The water pump was very loud so I did a silencing mod and added an accumulator tank. The tires are China Good Year Marathons, and the spare is a USA Marathon,(they were briefly made in the US again) go figure. Like many I`m not crazy about Chinese ST trailer tires but so far they look OK. Overall I`m satisfied after the two year mark, I hope to still be five years from now. Is it perfect? No, but what RV is.

We still love the floorplan, it fits our needs and budget well, no plans to change anytime soon. And it is all the old Chevy wants to pull anyways

Crabman, AKA Lee
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #2

Thanks for the report Crabman and I hope you have many more problem free years of use.
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #3

Great report Lee. Out of the thousands of trailers that Jayco makes, I can't help but think that there is going to be problems with some of the trailers. My heart goes out to those who ended up with ones that had cracked fiberglass or some other problem which should have never made it out of the factory. This is a great place to identify problems like bubbled tape on the slide out or non working slide motors. Oddly enough the dealership I took my trailer to for warranty work told me they never had any tape problems on other slide outs. Considering how many 0f us here with that problem I was surprised. I like the people who post here and help each other.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:01 PM   #4

It is good to hear that you have had minimal problems. Hopefully the trend will continue for you.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:29 AM   #5

Since product specific forums are a magnet for those looking for solutions to problems it is easy to get a warped sense of overall quality based solely on what you read on a forum. At least I am hoping that's the case for Jayco .
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:36 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
Since product specific forums are a magnet for those looking for solutions to problems it is easy to get a warped sense of overall quality based solely on what you read on a forum. At least I am hoping that's the case for Jayco .
I think that can be the case. Most folks with average experiences with their unit will not post about them since they performed as expected. Understandably those with many or major issues will post about them, and we are glad they do so others can be aware of possible problems to look for.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:56 PM   #7

I didn't realize that you and I got our campers within a few weeks of each other. Mine was actually 5 months old and had been used about 6 times (still had some of the factory hang tags in it and that new trailer smell). Apparently the guy who bought it decided he wanted something bigger - so his loss, my gain.

I actually negotiated a 1 year warranty fom the dealer. I was a little nervous without the factory warranty, but figured one that was traded under warranty would be good and it was a very good dealer.

Anyway - only had three problems that I can think of since owning it. My water heater flame sensor failed. Dealer sent me the part, I installed and we were both happy. Second problem was a bad fuse holder at the battery. I just replaced myself. Third was my microwave went out. $120 quick fix.

Even if I had had a Jayco warranty, none of these would have caused me to take it in with maybe the exception of the micro, so I am happy to report all is well here.

all of my problems were with accessories and not with anything under Jayco's direct control. I think sometimes it is easy to knock Jayco on every failure when they are non Jayco parts.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:00 PM   #8

I totally agree that the people with problems make the most noise. Unforutnately our trailer has been plagued with Jayco quality related problems with the exception of the Dexter axle grease in the brakes problem. If the last 8 months of ownership are any example of the future this will be the most problimatic purchase we have ever made. To be honest it is making our Montana 5er that we traded in on this look pretty good. In all fairness to Jayco they have fixed every problem and have stood behind their product. Thank god for the two year warranty.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:21 PM   #9

I'm at the 14 month point with my Designer and I full time so it has been used a lot. I too had the water valve issue in the Thetford 3 weeks ago. I thought I had a leak around the shower door. At present I have the large slide motor is weak and the controller for the landing gear burned up. My dealer is going to come to my site and replace both items when they both come in. I'm at my winter home base site so I'm in no hurry.
That is what I call customer service since I'm 30 miles from the dealer. This was their suggestion. I didn't even have to ask. I am sure glad I purchased locally.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #10

Glad things have worked out well for you. We never had to make a claim on our '08 before the warranty ran out, and things are still good. Of course ours sits on a seasonal site so I believe that helps, all those bumpy roads can jiggle and work things loose.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
I'm at the 14 month point with my Designer and I full time so it has been used a lot. I too had the water valve issue in the Thetford 3 weeks ago. I thought I had a leak around the shower door. At present I have the large slide motor is weak and the controller for the landing gear burned up. My dealer is going to come to my site and replace both items when they both come in. I'm at my winter home base site so I'm in no hurry.
That is what I call customer service since I'm 30 miles from the dealer. This was their suggestion. I didn't even have to ask. I am sure glad I purchased locally.
Ed, that toilet valve leak seems to be fairly prevalent in units made in 2009 or 10. The problem is the leaking is intermittent and only when you partially depress the foot pedal, so it can be hard to detect just where the water is coming from.
Link to my "toilet leak story" http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=1878
Old 10-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #12

Our tt is over two years old now. We have spent over six months camping in it and our issues were all resolved before that 2yr mark. I'm glad Crabman posted his problem with the toilet as we were able to get Jayco to send us that part before our warranty expired. It is sitting in the tt waiting to be used. Hopefully it won't, but we have has some errant and elusive puddling appear. Poor thing (tt), it's been sitting since late July. We need to take it out again!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:04 AM   #13

Toilet Leaking question

Crabman,

Can you elaborate on your toilet leaking problem? Mine leaked this past weekend when flushed. We were hooked up to city water connection and it seemed to leak at point just beneath the seat in the back where the water line hooks into toilet.

Thanks!
eatmorebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:05 AM   #14

OOps..

I just saw your previous post about this. Must have missed it earlier...sorry.
eatmorebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:32 AM   #15

Have to mention one more good thing. I have camped in the cold, but never so much wind. It has been blowing 25 mph for three days now and down to the low 30s at night. I am amazed at how tight this trailer is. I would have expected it to be a little more drafty. The floor and inside the cabinets are a little cool, but it has been very comfortable inside (I have open underbelly). I have mainly been running the furnace rather than a space heater and it has really not run that much.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:36 AM   #16
Site Team

I have to agree, Terry. Even though the Jayflights are marginally insulated without the thermal package I have camped with it down to 24* in comfort.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:39 PM   #17

Our first TT was a 2010 Jayfeather 24T. A great unit, perfect "starter". Had a couple of minor cabinet concerns, screws pulled out. No biggie, dealer handled perfectly. However, at about 18 months from build date, the exterior front fiberglass panel began to delaminate just below the roof line. Dealer said to bring it in, they would take pictures and send them up to Jayco, go from there. Well, we ended up trading up to a 2012 Jay Flight 29 RLDS before having the 24 inspected. Really thought I wanted an Eagle (like the slick look) but we were leary of the long term durability, didn't want to deal with delamination issues down the road. Besides, our dealer made us an offer we couldn't refuse. The 29 is a really nice unit, perfect for the 2 of us.
toytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:55 AM   #18
Site Team

Its been one year since I posted this thread, which means its now been 3 years today since we picked up the 28BHS. I think we have used the trailer more this year then the previous two, we started camping in January. So here`s the THREE year report:

Once again no major issues and darn few minor ones this year.

I had to replace the seal in the ptrap under the kitchen sink, it tended to come loose during travel and would not tighten up properly due to the seal being distorted.
I resealed a few places on the roof with Dicor that looked a bit iffy.

I spray painted a few small rusty places on the frame.

All appliances and systems continue to work properly.

Still using the original tiny Interstate deep cycle group 24 battery, no signs of that weakening yet.

Tires look good, but approaching 4 yrs old as they are older then the trailer. No signs of abnormal wear.

No apparent brake issues/noises that some of the others with 2010`s experienced. Just a bit of squeaking when first starting out.

The trailer has never been back to a dealer or RV service center for any reason, I do all the little stuff myself.

I also cannot think of any mods I did this year, I guess for now I`m where I want to be on that front. I`ve also spent enough for one year buying the "new" `04 2500.

So its been another good year of camping and overall we are very pleased with the unit and will be keeping it for quite some time. The new TV makes the towing experience so much more relaxing now that I have the 2500. I hope to have as good of a report one year from now.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #19

So glad to hear you've had another great year with your 28BHS, Crabman!
Old 10-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #20

Glad to hear your having a good experience with the trailer.

DW,DS,DD and Riley (Goldendoodle)
dan222 is offline   Reply With Quote