Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #1

Our Vacation.....

This would be our 3rd outing in our new 2011 Jayco 26BH.Our destination was The KOA in Cape Hatteras,NC.We were going with my Mom who rented a cabin and my 2 brothers and their families,one camping ,one renting a cabin........
Me and my 2 Grand Daughters...The last weekend before the return back to school.....August 18th to the 25th...I was really looking forward to some rest and relaxation on the beaches of the OBX......Just really didnt turn out the way I envisioned.......

During the course of my 7 days in the OBX I would have only needed some animals to find to board my vessel 2x2 to know what Noah must have felt like..........As if it couldnt get any worse after 2 days and nites of all day long rain.............

As fast as the funnel cloud appeared it dissapeared!!!! Thank Goodness right!!!!
We did manage to have one day that the sun came out around 3:30 in the afternoon and like roaches on a good piece of food morsel the campers ran for the beach and we stayed till at least 7:30

We also had a good nite and was able to hang outside and actually put the awning out!!!!!
Old 09-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #2

wow, those first couple of pics would have put a scare into me! everything looks good after that. we went camping for the last 4 days of my teen daughters summer. She went back to school the day after we got back.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #3

Wow! If I saw that funnel I would be hauling the other way. I camp on the beach frequently and pop up TS are normal but something I take very seriously. The straight line winds can be devastating so I feel your pain. Some weeks I have to break camp 5 times just to be safe. I've seen pop up tents get projected through sides of campers!

Glad you got some good weather to enjoy your location as that's what the beach is all about. Sand, sunsets and water fun. OBX is on my 3 year list for stays.

How were the overall amenities? Cabins and width of sites? FS sites? Aside from weather would you do it again at the KOA?

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #4

Wow! Neat pics. That funnel definitely looked scary! Glad your campout turned out good
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #5

Amazing! I saw the funnel pic and literally sucked in my breath. These are stunning pics.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #6

The worst day camping is better than the best day not camping....or something like that.
w/ active anti-sway
JAMMFAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #7

WOW! That tornado picture is amazing! So clear and easy to see. I would of had to change my shorts after taking that picture though. Not much basement room in a camper. Glad you are safe and able to share with the rest of us.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #8
Site Team

We had some lousy weather here that week too. 10 inches of rain in 3 hours. Ouch.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #9

Great pics, thank you for posting them. Minus the tornado it resembled our trip to the West coast.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:43 PM   #10

First 2 pics are a little scary, but glad you had a good time.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinKim View Post
Amazing! I saw the funnel pic and literally sucked in my breath. These are stunning pics.
I did the same thing!

Those are some incredible / beautiful pics!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
Wow! If I saw that funnel I would be hauling the other way. I camp on the beach frequently and pop up TS are normal but something I take very seriously. The straight line winds can be devastating so I feel your pain. Some weeks I have to break camp 5 times just to be safe. I've seen pop up tents get projected through sides of campers!

Glad you got some good weather to enjoy your location as that's what the beach is all about. Sand, sunsets and water fun. OBX is on my 3 year list for stays.

How were the overall amenities? Cabins and width of sites? FS sites? Aside from weather would you do it again at the KOA?
The KOA was great cause we had younger children and there was activities for them even in the rain,the beach was just over the dunes,and all the bath houses were nice,however those that came to tent camp were flooded out literally...the section for tents was underwater there was ducks floating up and down the street that was once a buncha tents....luckily none of us tent camped...as for doing it again...well I might try somewhere else.......It seemed as though the campground did just enough to get by,they were not trying to give you an over the top experience...There didnt seem to be alot of happiness or enthusiasm from all the yellow shirted ones....Probally not totally fair of me to talk negative cause the whole trip left a sour taste in my mouth cause of the nonstop rain,me being a little new at this and this being my one and only 7 day vacation for the year.....