Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-24-2015, 04:47 PM   #1

overhead cabinets

Hi again with another question. Jayco notified me yesterday they have started construction of our 36 fbts. YEA. One thing I wanted them to install was some kind of support to hold the overhead storage cabinets open. These are the cabinets above the couch, tv etc. When we placed our order they said they could install a gas strut to hold it open. Unfortunately I was told today that the engineers say that will damage the hinges. I know that our older 31.5fbhs has something on there that holds the doors open. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help.
R&TB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:14 PM   #2

I think you could buy some of these lid stay latches (they come in left and right) and install them yourself after you get your FBTS.

Latches at Amazon
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:20 PM   #3

Couldn't you just leave them open? If your trailer is level... they should stay open.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:36 PM   #4

I used what SmokerBill suggested for holding open the cabinet door that has the TV on it. It holds it open at any angle.
Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer or 1999 Jeep Wrangler
Shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:52 PM   #5

I am not sure if they will stay open on their own. The model they had on the lot, the doors would not stay open. I dont know if it was level or not (eyeball level). I just know that on my current trailer the doors seem to have a type of "spring loaded " hinge that holds the door up. It's not that I am opposed to modifications but I think there a about 10 overhead doors on this model . Some above the theater seating, some above the couch, some above the tv and I think there is one or two in the kitchen. Keeps adding to my honey do list.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&TB View Post
I am not sure if they will stay open on their own. The model they had on the lot, the doors would not stay open. I dont know if it was level or not (eyeball level). I just know that on my current trailer the doors seem to have a type of "spring loaded " hinge that holds the door up. It's not that I am opposed to modifications but I think there a about 10 overhead doors on this model . Some above the theater seating, some above the couch, some above the tv and I think there is one or two in the kitchen. Keeps adding to my honey do list.
R&TB
We also have a 36fbts on order, if you hear back from Jayco on this matter can you post an update? I would to know if they come up with a fix.
As you mentioned our old TT also had hinges that would hold the door open also
Thanks
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:51 PM   #7

My brand new 2015 32RLDS Elite has struts that hold the doors open. Not sure what those engineers are talking about. Maybe it's a cost thing for them, but they are handy.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:32 PM   #8

Our 2014 Eagle came with the following ones installed in all the overhead cabinets.

70545 - 505028 Cabinet Door Strut (Metal) - Price: $5.59 - Factory RV Surplus - 1611 W Bristol St, Elkhart, IN 46514 (800) 325-1461 (574) 262-3327
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:31 PM   #9

Well I checked with the Jayco factory rep again today as well as my dealer. Even though we checked before writing the purchase order and it is written on there, they both tell me there is nothing they can add to hold the doors open. They said production will not install them because it will damage the hinges. Strange they are on my older Jayco and as others have said they have them on their units. I guess I will be doing a modification almost as soon as I get the trailer. I looked on line at Home Depot and they make a spring loaded hinge that looks like it will work as long as I can get ones that closely match the other cabinets hardware.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:21 PM   #10

Well, take a look at this and I doubt your door is any bigger than this one. I removed the Microwave and put it below where the stove was. So I bought an old kitchen cabinet door cut out the center and installed a ribbed glass panel as you can see. My local RV Store carries these RV hinges for around $8.00 for the pair and just one won't quite do it but the two are more than enough. If you can't find these hinges just let me know and I'll ship you what ever you need. I know without a doubt they'll work.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:26 PM   #11

A close up shot and their the same ones that came with the TT that are installed on my overhead cabinets above the sofa.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 03-25-2015, 08:32 PM   #12

It's a big door!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg