Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-20-2017, 07:33 PM   #1

Owner education?

I'm curious. I look at some of the questions on this forum and it puzzles me that many folks buying coaches are not getting good PDI's from there dealers. Are they even walking them, through operating procedures? Is the market that busy that the dealers are not taking the time to show folks how to operate systems?:scratchhead
2013 F150 Super Crew 3.5, 3:31
2004 f150 Super Crew 5.4, 3:73 traded
silverark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:48 PM   #2

I think the biggest problem is brain over load. They cover so much stuff you can't absorb it all and most folks don't take notes. Maybe new buyers should use a GoPro to record their PDI for future reference.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:04 PM   #3

A GoPro would be a great idea although most have cell phones that record. With so many newbes out there maybe a class to help them get to know what they are buying. Help them with things like backing, draining tanks, winterizing etc.
This might be an opportunity and could make traveling safe for many. Just a thought!
2013 F150 Super Crew 3.5, 3:31
2004 f150 Super Crew 5.4, 3:73 traded
silverark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
I think the biggest problem is brain over load. They cover so much stuff you can't absorb it all and most folks don't take notes. Maybe new buyers should use a GoPro to record their PDI for future reference.
Agreed 100%. It's hard to take everything in so fast. Plus it's nice to get some other opinions on the forums. There are a lot of things the dealers really don't get involved in.
OutCole'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:20 PM   #5

I spent over 3 hours doing my PDI on my first Trailer. I am very mechanically inclined and understood the basic systems but would not allow my dealer to brush me off. They tried like hell to give me half assed answers, and just get me to accept that things worked.

I took my time and tested every system. They provided very little in the way of instruction though. They tried very hard to make it a very high level overview.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:56 PM   #6

I think I learned more just reading this forum, and watching Youtube videos.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:44 PM   #7

Usually our PDI's consist of me showing up with a tool bag (general tools, multi meter, etc), start pulling things apart, and they walk away since they know I mean business. I've always made them plug the tub / shower drains and fill the tub or shower basin to check the drain seal. Nobody does that ever. I've only been to a few dealers where I half way trust what they do in a PDI. Now, subtract 14 years, and I didn't know much at all. Just took a lot of rigs, and a lot of internet, and a lot of self taught know how to get where we're at now. A school or class, or something, could definitely save somebody a lot of time, money and aggravation in the long run.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:42 AM   #8

I told the salesman at the buy that when they had it ready for pickup me and the wife would be doing the PDI first alone. Then when I was ready for them we would let them know.
They still tried to give us a afternoon appointment. I told them no I would only take a first thing in the morning appointment.
I honestly think once they know you are going to be looking hard they do a little better at checking things out.
I have to say that they did a good job on the checking out of it before we got there. Except for some small things everything worked out.

It is a good idea to go somewhere close and camp for the first shake down.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I spent over 3 hours doing my PDI on my first Trailer. I am very mechanically inclined and understood the basic systems but would not allow my dealer to brush me off. They tried like hell to give me half assed answers, and just get me to accept that things worked.

I took my time and tested every system. They provided very little in the way of instruction though. They tried very hard to make it a very high level overview.
We do the same. The dealers that we have had have not done a good job for us. I went three times. The first time I generated my list of repairs and issues. The second time (a week later) I checked on their work and progress with my list. The third time (two days later), I checked everything and gave them another half day. Our experience is that dealer work is half-baked at best, and we do far superior work ourselves. But I try to give them a chance; I do not know why I do. It most always proves to be a waste of time and often results in them screwing something up. It does not take me very long to say, "Here give me the thing. I'll do it right." They just wind up fudging it and making things worse. For our 2016 Feather purchase, the dealer did an awful job on the things that they addressed on the PDI and ignored several others.

I get sick, literally, of dealing with them. I know that they bank on two things: purchaser ignorance and purchaser fatigue. I get fatigued with their incompetence, slop, and greed. You can fight them for the rest of your life or get it home, make things right, and start enjoying your camper.

There are very few people that I trust to touch our vehicles, and none of them work at dealers. You can PDI your guts out and still get home with a list to be done or "redone" correctly.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
We do the same. The dealers that we have had have not done a good job for us. I went three times. The first time I generated my list of repairs and issues. The second time (a week later) I checked on their work and progress with my list. The third time (two days later), I checked everything and gave them another half day. Our experience is that dealer work is half-baked at best, and we do far superior work ourselves. But I try to give them a chance; I do not know why I do. It most always proves to be a waste of time and often results in them screwing something up. It does not take me very long to say, "Here give me the thing. I'll do it right." They just wind up fudging it and making things worse. For our 2016 Feather purchase, the dealer did an awful job on the things that they addressed on the PDI and ignored several others.

I get sick, literally, of dealing with them. I know that they bank on two things: purchaser ignorance and purchaser fatigue. I get fatigued with their incompetence, slop, and greed. You can fight them for the rest of your life or get it home, make things right, and start enjoying your camper.

There are very few people that I trust to touch our vehicles, and none of them work at dealers. You can PDI your guts out and still get home with a list to be done or "redone" correctly.
I avoid the dealer like the plague. I much prefer to do repairs myself. That goes for my cars and home appliances as well.

Our RV dealer (and I use that term loosely) destroyed a cabinet "Fixing" an alignment issue. I pointed out during the Pdi. Jayco agreed to just send me parts for the fix...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote